Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mal Vasilee, Changeling Assassin

As practice, I did this sketch of my current D&D character a few days ago:
mal_vasilee____insane__changeling_assassin_by_necr0npariah-d5xreo1_zpsa3439135.jpg

Last night, I got to work on a digital painting, and had this much done before I quit for the night:

WIPMal2_zps3d4d1123.jpg

After working on it more tonight, I've reached a point at which I'm ready to post and get feedback:

mal_vasilee____insane__changeling_assassindigital_zpsf031280b.jpg

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    So . . . are you planning to make a 3D character model of this guy?

Cuz it gonna look free-kay :]
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I might, but it's only my first year in university (and I've only been doing 3D stuff for a few months). I'm focusing more on concept art, which I hope to specialize in after university. Still, I'm also taking some 3D Modeling courses, and those are fun, so a 3D model is definitely a possibility! I have a solid grasp on Zbrush, and I'm starting to get the hang of Maya. Which one would you recommend I model this in?

(Also, thanks for the encouragement. You are, in fact, the first person to comment on my stuff on Polycount, so having that first post be positive encouragement is really... well, encouraging!)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being straight forward, if you're not going to do a 3D model of this, it's best to just dump it in a Sketchbook thread if this is only going to stay a piece of illustration. Pimping and Previews is mostly for the intention of final 3D work. Concept art can be involved, but it's for the sake of the final assets. If you want to stay strictly to concept art, I'd recommend CGHUB, etc.

Well sounds like you know ZBrush and Maya, so use ZBrush and Maya.

NExt time, be more clear about your intentions when you post work. I initially read this as "Oh, someone is just dumping their 2D sketches here for some reason . . ." Giving a short header of "I'm working on X project for the next couple of weeks, here's my planned workflow, what I plan to accomplish, and the concepts I'm working from." would explain intentions better and perhaps grip people to what you're doing. This isn't deviantArt.
  • NecronPariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't quite sure, honestly, and now I know. I will be making a 3-D model of this, btw, so thanks for the suggestion.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Being straight forward, if you're not going to do a 3D model of this, it's best to just dump it in a Sketchbook thread if this is only going to stay a piece of illustration. Pimping and Previews is mostly for the intention of final 3D work. Concept art can be involved, but it's for the sake of the final assets. If you want to stay strictly to concept art, I'd recommend CGHUB, etc.

This is not accurate, and given that everyone in the community can only stand to benefit from more art being shared - be it 3D or 2D, it is not wise to discourage concept artists or illustrators from sharing their work.

Necron - If you're looking for critique on this piece as an illustration, it's presently very simple and its most recent version has super stark black/white values. It can be a good thing to work in grayscale early on, but it's called grayscale rather than "black and white scale" for a reason. If you're using photoshop, perhaps try taking your original sketch as the top layer set to "multiply", and then with layers underneath give yourself a mid level gray background and work on your values from there, trying to stay away from pure black or white. Once you've got a start there you can remove the sketch layer or paint on top of it, etc. Someone mentioned this to me years ago and I still do it regularly in the early stages of things myself.

If it's meant more as a concept (possibly for modeling in the future), I don't think there's a whole lot of benefit in going as far as you did in black and white with shadows and such, and I'd think you'd want more of the character visible to flesh out his design.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Howdy! Pimping & Previews is a subforum of the "3D & 2D Videogame Art" section, yes it totally belongs here and I do not want to dissuade any 2D artists from posting. The sketchbook subforum is just that, a place to keep your random thoughts and experiments, it sadly doesn't get much traffic.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're uncomfortable concepting in Zbrush, I'd recommend making sure you have a full body turn around of some rendering quality on paper so you go in with a clear focus on what elements need to be made>

(2D stuff usually gets posted in relation to an end goal of 3D assets, instead of just 2D work being posted, hence the 'dissuasion.' But this isn't experimenting, so have at it.)