Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted house stuff

Hello Polycount~

Recently I've been working on what has become kind of a long term project for me. Last August I modeled a bunch of modular house bits and pieces because I didn't think I had enough hand painted stuff in my portfolio and I wanted to practice too, but only ended up completing one of the props; the door.

US1Gt32.jpg

For the most part I'm still happy with it, although I want to re-do the doorknob. So anyway, here is a screenshot of the rest of the pieces (I put together a quick house with them):

yVBds2y.jpg

So I decided the next step was to complete the little stairway, since I already had the steps finished with the door. I wanted to change what I had a bit so I grabbed some reference off of Google and decided that I wanted to do something like this, with the siding supporting the steps.

wP76mdf.jpg

And so I modeled, sculpted and textured the siding.

de9Dhjf.jpg

At this point I've also got the platform at the top sculpted and UVd, but I haven't painted it just yet. I took a screenshot of it all together with the door at the top and did a really rough paintover in photoshop, trying to figure out some extra stuff I could put in to keep it from looking too monotonous.

qGizNjR.jpg

At the moment there is a couple of things I want to change:
- The door knob
- Line up the stair steps to the bolts that are supposed to be holding them in place along the siding
- Change the position of the bolts on the steps themselves so they're closer to the edges (at the moment they're connecting to nothing)

So that's where I'm at now. Next step is to sculpt and texture the post and the assorted support planks etc. Does anyone have any critiques or suggestions for things I can add (or subtract)?

Thanks for viewing~

Replies

• Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
    The door and stairs look really awesome, I love the colors. I agree, you should do something about the nails on the steps. It could possibly work for a lower 3-set stair where the nails are going down into supporting planks, but here they're just kinda hanging there :P

You could add a lamp coming out of the wall just beside the door maybe. Try arching the roof peak downwards too (like a slight U shape), even just a bit would help the silhouette.

Keep it up!
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i would add some shade/dirt around nails, and maybe make their diffuse darker.
  • letronrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The nails on the actual stairs dont make ens IMO. The one on the side do though
  • JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    i would add some shade/dirt around nails, and maybe make their diffuse darker.

This
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snafubar7 wrote: »
    You could add a lamp coming out of the wall just beside the door maybe. Try arching the roof peak downwards too (like a slight U shape), even just a bit would help the silhouette.

Keep it up!
    Thanks man, good suggestions.
    The nails on the actual stairs dont make ens IMO. The one on the side do though
    Yeah, the reason they were close to the middle originally is because I had some planks running underneath them for support, but then I changed it so that there were planks supporting the steps on the sides.

I've added some shade underneath the nails and also darkened them. And moved the step's nails towards the edges so that they fit right into the metal pieces underneath.

RJzzvU1.jpg

Do you think these are too dark or not dark enough, Blaisoid?
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, just a quick update before I go out. I've sculpted, UV'd and laid the base colours down on the rest of the wood bits for this stairway. I'll finish the rest of the details tomorrow.

PZpomyL.jpg
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice colors and mood. Id love to see more
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Nice! I like that style!
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, finished painting the wood. Still need to model and texture the rope, and change the door knob entirely.

B92wPxI.jpg

Thoughts?
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    The wood is tasty :D
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, that looks incredible :)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah your hand painted stuff is top notch! This looks great!
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks so much everybody, I really appreciate it. :)

Today I've painted some rope. It's the first time I have tried it, so it probably has some room for improvement. This is the texture for it, it is 128x256.
    rope_by_samdrewpictures-d5zj5l7.jpg

And this is on a mesh.
    wip16_by_samdrewpictures-d5zj5l5.jpgwip16_by_samdrewpictures-d5zj5l5.jpg

And all together;
    wip15_by_samdrewpictures-d5zj25p.jpg

wip15_by_samdrewpictures-d5zj25p.jpg
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I just have one comment on the rope, i think you need a bit more shadow in the creases. but thats my opinion, otherwise, i like it. love the textures.
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking very good,personally think some dirts will make this piece better.
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks luge, is this better?
    rope2_by_samdrewpictures-d5zj6xh.jpg

wip17_by_samdrewpictures-d5zj6zh.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I think the rope looks really good! I have a question; would you mind explaining how you tackle uv's for a project like this? I see that the door got its own unique map. Are you giving the stairway its own map as well, and so on and so forth for each unique part of the building? Will you be combining the maps later? Organizing unique uv's for a large scale project has always been a big challenge for me, and it would be neat to get some insight into your thought process for it!

I am SERIOUSLY loving all the model and texturework in here so far; really inspirational. Especially the models, they have so much character and movement to them ^_^
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    yeah, that made the rope look a lot better already. I also think when you get some more done its really going to bring out these pieces even more. i do love the style, its just so damn pretty.
  • Panadol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks luge, I think it looks better this way too.
    I think the rope looks really good! I have a question; would you mind explaining how you tackle uv's for a project like this? I see that the door got its own unique map. Are you giving the stairway its own map as well, and so on and so forth for each unique part of the building? Will you be combining the maps later? Organizing unique uv's for a large scale project has always been a big challenge for me, and it would be neat to get some insight into your thought process for it!

I am SERIOUSLY loving all the model and texturework in here so far; really inspirational. Especially the models, they have so much character and movement to them ^_^
    Yes, the door, stair steps and the stone arch are on one map. On another map I basically have everything else making up the stairway and platform. Here's the map, although it's got some spare space that I haven't used yet (might put a barrel in there or something) and the metal is nowhere near finished.
    largeplank_1_normals_by_samdrewpictures-d5zlp2e.jpg
    So to answer your question, I decided I really wanted to give some of the props their own texture space instead of using a tileable texture so I could give each on their own look. But I still plan on using tileable textures for the roof, walls, floor and some of the less noticeable wooden parts (such as the support beams along the roof of the house).

Thanks a lot for your feedback, it means a lot as I've been a fan of your work for some time :)

Anyway I've just been playing around with the stuff I've got so far; I think I'll start painting some of these tileable textures next. Also I changed the doorknob finally.
    wip18_by_samdrewpictures-d5zlp1n.jpg
  • Noia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noia polycounter lvl 15
    Love the wood! Great texture work.
    Something bothers me about all those nails though. Too big or too uniform or too many.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 13
    oh ya, very nice texture work. Something about the rope model isn't sitting right with me, i feel the rope shouldn't be hanging down from the center of each of the wrapped knot.l Another thing with your latest image is the construction of the model. The wood is kinda floating, you need a crossbeam from the wood stilts that the walkway planks can rest on. this scene is gonna look really slick nice work
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, I did notice that on the rope too. I think the physics on it are a bit missplaces. It should be hanging slightly to the right, because the right knot its lower than the left one. That and the crossbeams coots7 said.

Other than that, amazing job so far!
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I agree about the nails, i feel like they are too uniform, and too bring. On the rope, I'd agree as well, since you changed it placement, you should counter that with fixing the model placement as well.
  • villacis23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice work. and good detail in the textures. i prefer the natural look as oppose to the dark version. keep it up!!!>
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Great stuff, I really like how this has improved. I only echo the comments about the rope physics too.