Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - The C17Y

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
kimmokaunela ngon master
Hi,

I saw this comp and almost instantly had this crazy and maybe even a good idea in my head.

Instead of searching concept/reference stuff I created this plot/synopsis that will be my source of inspiration. Story is below.
We are living in year 2084 and Earth resources were consumed and it´s dying slowly. Rich part of the polulation have bought their future to this city of the future, spacestation. The poor part of the people just got left behind.

This spacestation is built by the Urantech Corp. that has been specialized in fissio reactors and nuclear power. The entire station is powered by the new type of fissile element called Soranium 8. This very powerful element can power the entire station using linked reactor system. The station got the name C17Y and it was the most state of the art place to live and watch how the Earth slowly died.

Nobody didn´t know that this Soranium 8 generates unique kind of nuclear radiation that affects organic materials by shaping it to something different and hostile. There is no protection against this type of radiation. The only way to stay alive and most importantly to stay human is to leave the station behind and ESCAPE!
I´m going to use 3ds max for modeling, texturing and baking, UDK for rendering and post-process, Photoshop for painting the textures and Zbrush for hi-detail sculting.

I´m going to start posting my progress here when I can.

I hope you understand my bad English :)

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    The English was fine and understood it fine, nice idea can't wait to see some progress sounds like a good theme to go with.
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    I´ve been doing modeling almost 3 days straight without sleeps :) My workflow will be that first I model low-poly and then using that as a base for the high poly. Then I make uvs and bake normal maps and ao. Handpaint all the other textures. This will take some time to do all the modeling, unwrapping and texturing.

Here is some of the models that I made. Modular modeling and texturing is something that I try to use as much as possible for optimaze my scene.

Modular wall parts: modularwall.jpg

Floor panel: floor1c.jpg

Second floor panel: floor2b.jpg

I try to post as much update as possible but I try to do as much work as I can :)
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    No pictures, re-upload please.
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    I think that Dropbox don´t want to show those :) I re-uploaded those in ImageShack so hopefully you will see something.
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    This is what I got last night. It´s a scifi condensator. Hi and low polys at below.

condensator.jpg
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Little progress again. Next step is to start baking normal maps and start texturing.

Scifi pilar:

pilark.jpg

Door structure:

doorer.jpg
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    A lot of progress has been made. Now I have some of the models textured and in UDK for testing how the shaders and maps works. I tested my modular wall set and it´s working pretty good. I also try to find some lighting setups to get the right mood. From now on it´s a lot of testing and finding the best settings for all different things. I also need to model a lot of different models to built this scene looking just right.

udktest.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Whoa quick progression seems your pieces are missing the normal map? or an AO map as right now some of the textures are looking flat but I really like the speed of things so far, looks good to me, go go go.
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    There should be normal maps for all of those and ao has been baked into diffuse maps. Shaders need a lot of tweeking and lighting aswell.

I have been building the level a lot and the progress has been so fast thanks to modular modeling and texturing. Right now, I´m going to put all the assets that I made so far and see what it´s still missing. I have a lot of things to work with like textures that I was hand painted quite fast and now they need a lot more love :) Also the shaders need fixing and a lot of different maps like specular maps. Right now the only thing that I´m pretty happy with is the floor shader but there are still some minor bugs in the shader to produce beliveble parallax mapping. So there is a lot to learn from there.

This is the way I work. Creating something really fast and putting all things together and then start to pay attention to all the little things. Fortunately I had a lot of free time to put on this. Now that I have this base I can start to fix things and making it better. That is the thing that I love! But now it´s time to play with the new Lara Croft and do something else for a change.

udkgeometry1.jpg
    udkgeometry2.jpg
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    It´s been a while since the last post. My internet was down a week so I couldn´t post any progress. I have done a lot of stuff and I think that it´s pretty much what I was after. Some minor fixes and tweeking is still need to do. I have used a lot of time to get the lighting right and all the color correct inside the UDK. I wish that I had dx11 gpu to use full potential of shaders. I really like how all comes together and the feel that someone escaped from the space station in a rush. I will post more some hi- poly and low poly wips but here are some.

wallenergymodule.jpg

pipeqz.jpg

axexc.jpg

And here are the latest progress from UDK.

udkshot1.jpg

udkshot2.jpg
  • meathead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    meathead polycounter lvl 4
    looks very good, wish I could stay up for days, working too much sucks!
  • kimmokaunela
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Thanks! It´s also important to keep some breaks to see mistakes with fresh eyes. I´m pretty happy how well this remind the image that I had in my mind when I started this project.
  • iGoogle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iGoogle polycounter lvl 5