Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Dangerous Earth - Swizzle

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
Been wanting to try some stuff with post processing and animated materials for a while, so this seems like a good time to go nuts with that kind of thing. I'm a character artist by trade, but I've been wanting to tackle a smallish environment with some nice style and composition.

I hacked together a quick concept between yesterday and this morning:

pc_comp_concept_002_large.jpg

It has its fair share of problems, but it at least gets across a lot of the ideas I'm looking for. I want to the end result to look like people are evacuating a planet because it's quickly becoming uninhabitable, hence the rocket trails. And, of course, there's a ton of post-process shit like lens flares, glow, lens dirt, film grain, vignetting, etc.

Replies

• Lord Fryingpan
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
    Oh boy, can't wait to see where this goes.
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I see the face!

You may want to have one of the rockets visible in the shot like it just took off because at first I thought they were meteors crashing into the planet rather than rockets escaping. The orange in the sky helps show they're taking off but having one visible would convey it better.
  • S2Engine
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Very cool! This reminds me of Vulcan in JJ's Star Trek.
  • duncan
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    AWESOME! We ALL know you are a kick ass character artist so now I am really pumped to see how rad this is gonna turn out........ just between you and me.... I think you are gonna kick ass at enviro art too.

Keen for some more.
  • BenHenry
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Can't wait to see where this goes! Love it :D
  • Pixelpencil
    Looks cool. Gonna keep my eye on this one :)
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks, guys!

Zipfinator:
    You were right about the rocket being visible; it definitely needed that.

I've made a bunch of tweaks to the concept to try and get it to read a little better. I know the post processing-type stuff like lens flares and whatnot are super over-the-top, but I'm using this as an excuse to learn stuff like post processing anyway.

pc_comp_concept_003_large.jpg

I've also been screwing around with World Machine and trying to get good results from a combination of sculpting and simulated erosion. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm at least learning some new stuff. The hill on the right just below the volcano would be the vantage point seen in the concept.

iDP42Dw.jpg
  • ScudzAlmighty
    pretty interesting Swizzle, I really like the concept you've done so far, though for some reason it reminds me really strongly of one of the underworld scenes from God of War 3, maybe it's just the composition though. Greentooth integration is just aces;)

Are you using World Machine to build the landscape and then bring that directly into udk (or whatever you use for the finals)?
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    ^ Oh man I didn't even notice that until Scudz mentioned it. That is really slick! I love the concept, really cool colours and great atmosphere.

Sometimes its nice to use WM to make separate single mountains along with your large terrain you created. That way you have more control for iteration if you want to create more seperation to sell distance, or just make adjustments for a more pleasing compositon. And b/c they are so far away you don't have to incorporate them into UDK Landscape, you can decimate the obj really low and apply maps.

Looks cool!
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Shabba, your suggestion just inadvertently helped me with a different, non-escape related project I am planning. Thank you xD
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    wow, very kool Xavier taking on an env like this. will be watching.