Home Technical Talk

Tileable, mesh based textures in Mudbox?

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Is it possible to make tileable textures like this: http://eat3d.com/free/zbrush_tile in Mudbox?

There's plenty of info around on sculpting detail into a plane and tiling it, but I want to do it using meshes; a cobblestone floor in this case.

I've done some extensive Googling and can't seem to find anything.

Replies

• Visceral
    Can you just place the meshes inside of Max or Maya and render from there? Its pretty easy to make it tile. Just copy your groundplane around in a square fasion and place the meshes so they cross over the edges?
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Cheers Visceral,

Yeah that'd work fine, I suppose I'm just thinking of performance and speed. Although I'm not sure how well Mudbox would handle it either. I'm used to the ZBrush method and love how quick you can drop things in and move them around, and obviously how well it handles multiple, dense subtools. So was kinda looking for a similar method in Mudbox.
  • Daelus
    I haven't messed with it myself, but I believe they are adding in specifically a tileable plane option in the newest version (or recently at least). So basically you say "Create tileable plane" and it will create a plane with tiles to every side and you can just sculpt and paint and it automatically copies it to the surroundings. Just double checked, and yah, it's in 2013.

Link (about 2:00 in): [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLqt39YxSvE"]Autodesk Mudbox 2013: New Features - YouTube[/ame]
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yeah I think they had that in 2012 for subscribers. It's a nice step forward, but still not exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm talking more like tiling meshes, like in ZBrush where you can tile the canvas and have subtools tiling.

It's annoying because I don't have a ZBrush license, but I do have Mudbox...
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    That is a Zbrush-only feature I believe. No other software has a canvas remotely similar to Zbrush's. Zbrush uses tech called Pixols, which is essentially a pixel, with depth information.
    Mudbox uses real, actual geometry.
  • System
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Awww shame.

I suppose I'll just have to do it in Max then, which as Visceral said is basically the same as it probably would be in Mud anyways.

Thanks anyway guys!
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    thanks for that mudbox preview.. unlike the new max, it seems mudbox '13 is worth an upgrade!
  • Keytay
    Visceral wrote: »
    Can you just place the meshes inside of Max or Maya and render from there? Its pretty easy to make it tile. Just copy your groundplane around in a square fasion and place the meshes so they cross over the edges?

I'm not sure what you mean here, can you elaborate on how to do this in maya?

If you wanted to do something like rubble, how do you make it tile at the edges?
  • fade1
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    Keytay wrote: »
    If you wanted to do something like rubble, how do you make it tile at the edges?

duplicate(instanced) and move it -/+(length of your base quad). when you bake you will have both sides on your texture ;)
  • Karaoke_Warrior
    Offline / Send Message
    Karaoke_Warrior polycounter lvl 13
    TeeJay wrote: »
    It's annoying because I don't have a ZBrush license, but I do have Mudbox...

Lol .. looks like you and I are on the same boat. I actually had to do something similar to this a few days ago. I googled the entire interweb and found nothing, so I settled on the whole vector displacement method on a tiling plane which was considerably slower, and made even worse by the fact that subDing was multiplied x9.