Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-Painted Textures (crtis needed)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
Hello
I'm new at making hand-painted textures , so I'm now trying to learn how to paint some nice textures.
i hope to get some crits or paint-over from you guys so i can learn new stuff :)

so here is the first texture:

01brick.jpg

crits welcome ! thanks you :)

Replies

• mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like a good start, the tiling works nicely. However, it's currently a little too bland, if you introduce some more colour variations on each individual stone it'll probably look better. Also, it seems it lacks a consistent light direction, I tend to paint all my textures as if the light comes from a 45 degree angle at the top right corner of my texture.

The texture could also use some more contrast in the shadows I think, to make the texture pop more, and the colour of the shadows I'm not too sure of, they look too yellow now for my taste.

Just keep on painting!
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    i think the yellow is supposed to be light, not shadow?
    i agree with mikhga, though, more color variation would be nice, also some more depth variation.
    it seems you are directly going in painting the lines, then the highlights and shadows. try to work with bigger brushes first, block out your colors, than gradually go down with smaller brushes.
  • M.Palko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M.Palko polycounter lvl 4
    It's a good start, tiles very nicely! It definately needs some variation from brick to brick to make them a bit more visible. I'd recommend just brightening or darkening each brick a smidge. I'd also give it a little bit of color overall, it looks almost completely desaturated, probably a blue hue would be best.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys for the helpful crits , here is new version . i think the shading break up the tiling and a new wood texture ( not great ) and a wip environment :

brickwi.jpg

wood02.jpg

wood3d.jpg

diab_02.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    be mindful about your brick shapes. youve got a couple L and J shaped bricks in there which dont look right
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the scene you've started! But you could try some bigger stylized grassblades, this look a little noise somehow. Especially those in the foreground. I'd love to see the ground textures.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks u guys , i'm working on small props now . i see a work like this on WAWYO theard and want to make one for practice
    here is wath i got and texture sheet

hand_d1.jpg

tex_ds.jpg

any crits , paintover welcome :)
    thanks
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    It'd hard to judge, but it looks like your pixel density for the beige vase is unbalanced, granting far more pixels to the hole on top than the detail on the sides. Maybe consider mirroring two sides of the vase to allocate more space for the detail? I'm not sure. The texture space just seems kind of inefficient right now
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you , i will be sure to use my texture space and not wasting no more :)
    here is little update :

hand_d2.jpg

crits welcome :)
  • Rebo421
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram wrote: »
    be mindful about your brick shapes. youve got a couple L and J shaped bricks in there which dont look right

This popped out to me immediately it really kind of takes the reality away from the texture it makes it seem very flat
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    can't delete this.. grrrrrr.. read the next one
  • Jet_Pilot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jet_Pilot polycounter lvl 10
    Also in your first texture make sure the painted in lighting(highlights, shadows) are in their proper place. You have a couple of spots where they conflict and its messing with my head.
    OR you can go in a a direction like this where the its more of a ware and tear in stead of an actual light source.
    fve6pz.png
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you :)

here is my final image of the props , skulls are not good ;

hand_painted.jpg

any crits welcome
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Love it! The spaces between the tiles could be darker, and the skulls seem a little flat. Otherwise sick!
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks u :)

here is a sword i did from a concept ..

weap_han.jpg

crits welcome