Home Technical Talk

Multiple uv's with multiple dimensions

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my second post. So I am not very familiar with the rules. May be my question has already been answered here earlier in some other post. Please guide me to that link, if there is any. What I want to know is:

I am creating a few low poly game prop models.

I have one object with two elements.

I have assigned two separate material ids to them and used a multi sub/object material on it.

I also have unwrapped these two elements separately.

Everything was going fine until I got stuck at some point. One of the elements require a non-square 256x512 texture and the other needs a square 512x512 texture.

I have used UVW X-form on the non-square element to match my requirements. But when I collapse all modifiers and apply a new UnwrapUVW modifier, the 256x512 texture gets stretched to 512x512 again.

Is there any solution to this problem? Or is it mandatory to use one single UV dimension on both elements since they are parts of a single object? Please help.

Replies

• SlyRipper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SlyRipper polycounter lvl 6
    the streching is normal if you choose such texture sizes.. There are options you can change within the uvw editor and it will show the normal 256x512 size (i guess) but you either have to work with strechy textures within the uvw editor (it still looks normal ingame or whereve u want it) or you need to work with stretchy uvw maps ^^ there's no normal view, at least I haven't found some for max
  • glaive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your suggestion. Yes I think I finally have to work on it manually. Because UVW X-form can re-size the UV from 512 x 512 to 256 x 512. And it is working fine unless I assign one single unwrap for both elements, I mean one square and another non-square. One way or other, both UV's must be of the same dimension, i.e, either 512 x512 or 256 x 512. But one square and another non-square UV on two elements can not stay together in one object. And in that case the non-square must be worked on manually. I may be wrong, but that is the only conclusion I can see right at this moment.