Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Steamosaurus Rex (Student Work)

Hey Polycount, at uni this semester we are creating a dinosaur. I've decided to make mine a steampunk T-Rex. The first image is my original design however I then played around with his proportions a bit to make him "chibified". I felt that this might make him suit the humorous style of the character better. What do you think?

The Tri limit is 12,000.

SteamosaurusRex09.jpg

SteamosaurusRex11.jpg

SteamosaurusRex12.jpg

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I really like it, very cool idea. Would be cool to see some of the pieces be organic, have it be very frankenstein-ish. Texture will make/break this, but so far, great job.

One quick question, does the dino operate on it's own, or is it controlled in some way? If so you need some handles and footpedals, I'm thinking something akin to the controls inside of a steam engine cab.
  • wolfonthehorizon
    got any wireframe images ? and it would be cool to see the concept your working from, looks ace so far :)
  • Sir_Dillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir_Dillon polycounter lvl 6
    Hey

That one is really cool! I like it too.
    Whad I would have to say is for one thing: You shold - in my opinion - do something with the tail. The whole Steam-Rex has a very fine level of parts and details. But it ends in only one large piece at its tail. Split it up into two or three sections! Let it look more crafted together as the rest of the Rex.

Second thing: It has a seat on its back. Will we -at some point - see someone sitting there? 'couse with that seat on the back but noone in it, the Dinosour does not function as a character itself. More like a character's attachment or ammendment. But if noone's there, something is missing. If you remove the seat, the Steam-Rex becomes the character itself...

I dont know whether all the others out there would agree on this one, but still I wanted to point it out.

But quite a nice one!
    Keep it up! Needs textures ;)
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback and kind words, I've broken up the tail. Unfortunately a rider isn't part of the brief though I may make one at a later date. The concept was mostly in my head though I picked bits and bobs from other steam punk artwork and had a good look into how steam engines work so I could make something that at least looks like it might be able to operate irl.

For this project we're going to rig/animate our dinos and put them into UDK so that's something to look forward too! :) I appreciate any further feedback, the textures are still a work in progress, always the hardest element to get right imo.

SteampunkElements.jpg

BoilerRef.jpg

SteamosaurusRex14_zps6404e37d.jpg
  • TheDerpyChicken
    Haha, I love it. He looks very snazzy.
  • Sir_Dillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh dude, it's just brilliant with textures! =D it*s awesome. The tongue could be a missile xD Is it??

I'd so like to see a .GIF of it, walking!
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    that is one classy dinosaur.

specular maps need some love to get more material definition.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha thank you for the kind words folks :)

I'm making little improvements all the time..

SteamosaurusRex16_zps075259f0.jpg
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I think the gears, and the monocle should be a different color. Vary up the trim color in general, and make that tank shine! He's awesome btw.

8469014522_94f17d8ac3_b.jpg
  • Zeluron
  • Timeyy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This should be a unit in every rts game ever.
  • Sir_Dillon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice to see you did a walkcycle! And awesome, the way the single parts of the saurus move against each other! nice! expected a simpler skinning, whereas I assume skinning wasnt that complicated, assigning while static body-parts to bones?
    And I really want to compliment you. Once for your work, and also for your studies. I wish I had study-courses which were that focused and effective... But well... they didn't do a really good job on us here.

A little bit edgy here and thare, the walkcycle, but this could also be the video compression, making it glitch?! Don't know. But its cool! ;)

kind regards!
    Sir_Dillon
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I wanted to put a lot of bones around so I could have full control over how everything moves rather than it all moving as one static bulk. The only issues I ran into was that CAT was making the legs flip around, this occurs because the leg technically was made up of 3 bones. The solution was tweaking the "Num IK Bones" parameter under Limb Animation. The stutter in the animation is down to me looping the animation in windows movie maker :).

I do consider myself extremely lucky to be doing this course and I'll happily give props to Stafford University.

Interesting that you mention RTS units as I'm making a basic RTS for my FYP, I better include this guy as an ultimate unit or something!
  • Zeluron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, I have finished my Steamosaurus Rex but I would appreciate any further criticisms / advice to use for my evaluation. Thanks to all who helped. :)

SteamShow05_zps3af8b248.jpg

SteamShow04_zps28162288.jpg

SteamShow03_zps37c488ee.jpg

SteamShow02_zpsc6ce2d07.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S_hU79ftZk"]SteamosaurusShow2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V5q_RbMFNc"]KillingSteamosaurus - YouTube[/ame]
  • Boozebeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Really great job on taking a topic that's been done to death and making something interesting! Love the design and the execution seems pretty good but those pictures have a lot of compression artefacts in and seem a bit washed out.

(the UDK video is a lot better)