Home Technical Talk

Normal map Viewport Shading 3d max 2013

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
frun2 polycounter lvl 8
Greetings,

I normally work on 3d max 2010 for my game models. I create all the projections and I use the Normal Bump modifier in max to see the results on my model. Recently, at work, we started working with the new version (3ds Max 2013), and we have a lot of problems: the result is horrible, crappy and really different than 3d max 2010.

I´ve read in some post the solution is to add a some lines in the 3dmax.ini, but this solution apparently is not working. I use Directx in the viewport, I don´t use Nitrous engine.

Anyone knows the solution?

[ViewportNormalMapping]
ViewportNormalMappingType=Qualified/Legacy

Cheers. :poly124:

viewportShading_2010.jpg

viewportShading_2013.jpg

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    3Ds Max 2013 is broken and bugged. They broke a core part that is required for Normalmap display. Autodesk should know about this, but I don't know if they really care, they probably just want you to use Nitrous instead.

You can download my shader, it should mostly fix it. It's not perfect however.
  • frun2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frun2 polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Xoliul.

I´m going to download your shader for 3dmax 2013. I used it a few months ago, really cool solution for avoid the problems that Max generates, the results for me about your shader is better than 3dmax, but in my pipeline i need a quick tool for see a normal map, put only de Normalbump modifier and test the normal. It´s incredible buy it a license from 3dmax generates a lot of problems.

CHeers
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey no problem man, hope it helps. It might not be exactly as quick as normal bump, but it really can't be far off. And yes it's surprising Max has bugs of this calibre. I have notified Autodesk again about this bug, hopefully they will fix it soon!
  • frun2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frun2 polycounter lvl 8
    Ok, in our case we have a solution. Sometimes we work creating some hyper-realistic renders and we activate the gamma 2,2. If we have the gamma activate to 2,2, all the normals have this problem, maybe because the normal modifier works from 0 to 1 values.

If you have a directx viewport mode not runs correctly, only runs with nitrous.

Thanks for your support, I feel like an idiot :poly127: :poly127: :poly127:

viewportShading_2013_1.jpg