Kosai106 polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys,

My name is Kevin

Replies

• GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    Personally I like the site. I respect that you did this yourself. I used to create my own site as well until I got fed up with re-doing it each 1-2 times a year so I went to Carbonmade, which I like due to its simplicity. It's easy and allows me to focus more on the content and less on the site layout/design. Which can eat up a tremendous amount of time, considering I don't know WTH I'm doing. Lots of trial and error.

With that said, your site could definitely be simplified. A few things:

Your name up top kind of blends with the image behind it. Also, the image of the keyboard doesn't make much sense. Is that food and dead skin cells in between the keys? Unless you modeled and textured it, a simple grey background will work. And the "Once fought a bear, and won" while I find funny, it's not needed. Unless of course you actually did fight a bear and won, then I bow down to you sir.

While I think the Flash image slideshow is cool, and I used to have something VERY similar, for some people it can take long to load. You might be better off sticking with just images. It's just easier. (Side note, I checked your site on PC, Android and iOS. All look good.)

You have thumbnails for Overkill 2 Weapons, A Remington 870 and a Grenade Launcher. They're all weapons, no? Make that a category itself. Weapons/Props/Textures/Characters/Environments/Web & Graphic Design. Reduce the amount of clicks a hiring manager has to go through.

I like the Hire Me! part. I need this as much as you, might want to get rid of that. And with the social media, be careful. If you have anything political, personal, embarrassing on Facebook or Twitter.. you probably don't want some people to see that. Some companies are firing people for what they post on these sites, so that would be my only concern with that. If they really wanted to see what you post on FB, they will find you of course. But don't make it so easy for them.

Alright, hope that helps. Just my opinion. Let us know when you get some new artwork up so we can critique that next. Good luck Kevin!
  • the_Adri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I suggest changing the top photo, it looks to pixelated. I'd also suggest changing the colour of the font because it clashes with the photo. Other than that, it's a really nice portfolio and web page layout.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE wrote: »
    Personally I like the site. I respect that you did this yourself. I used to create my own site as well until I got fed up with re-doing it each 1-2 times a year so I went to Carbonmade, which I like due to its simplicity. It's easy and allows me to focus more on the content and less on the site layout/design. Which can eat up a tremendous amount of time, considering I don't know WTH I'm doing. Lots of trial and error.

Haha, yeah it does take a bit of time, but I like being able to do that if I don't feel like working on some 3D, or if I'm out, then I can just whip out my tablet and do some coding. Easy-peacy.
    With that said, your site could definitely be simplified. A few things:

Your name up top kind of blends with the image behind it. Also, the image of the keyboard doesn't make much sense. Is that food and dead skin cells in between the keys? Unless you modeled and textured it, a simple grey background will work. And the "Once fought a bear, and won" while I find funny, it's not needed. Unless of course you actually did fight a bear and won, then I bow down to you sir.

I have thought about changing the header, and I might as well do so this weekend. Thanks for the tip! Also, the text in the corner, changes between 3 different ones. For some reason I thought that was a nifty idea...
    While I think the Flash image slideshow is cool, and I used to have something VERY similar, for some people it can take long to load. You might be better off sticking with just images. It's just easier. (Side note, I checked your site on PC, Android and iOS. All look good.)

It's got nothing to do with Flash, it's something called Nivo-Slider, and it's fairly light-weighted, so load times are usually pretty swift, but I have thought of removing it, to get the thumbnails closer to the top of the page.
    You have thumbnails for Overkill 2 Weapons, A Remington 870 and a Grenade Launcher. They're all weapons, no? Make that a category itself. Weapons/Props/Textures/Characters/Environments/Web & Graphic Design. Reduce the amount of clicks a hiring manager has to go through.

Good thinking, I'll do that!
    I like the Hire Me! part. I need this as much as you, might want to get rid of that. And with the social media, be careful. If you have anything political, personal, embarrassing on Facebook or Twitter.. you probably don't want some people to see that. Some companies are firing people for what they post on these sites, so that would be my only concern with that. If they really wanted to see what you post on FB, they will find you of course. But don't make it so easy for them.

I did remove that a few min. after posting the thread, but you'll have to CTRL+F5 for it to appear as gone. :)

As for the social network icons, I think the most embarrassing thing, anyone can find, is all the lame joke images my girlfriend postes on my Facebook Wall. But still, it's a valid thought, and I will most likely remove those. (The links, I mean.)
    Alright, hope that helps. Just my opinion. Let us know when you get some new artwork up so we can critique that next. Good luck Kevin!

That helped a bunch! I'm grateful for your assistance. Plans are to have something new to show really soon, but for some reason, my plans always gets messed up in one way or another.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a friendly bump.
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

So, I have started to work on a new portfolio, seeing as my current site is offline atm. until I can afford to renew my hosting.

Do any of you fine gentlemen have some tips as for what I should focus on? The art is obvious, but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I will have a temporary site online during the weekend, if everything goes as planned.
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Kosai106 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So, I have started to work on a new portfolio, seeing as my current site is offline atm. until I can afford to renew my hosting.

Do any of you fine gentlemen have some tips as for what I should focus on? The art is obvious, but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

I will have a temporary site online during the weekend, if everything goes as planned.

If you want me to host it I can ^_^
    ...as long as you have the domain! :V
  • Kosai106
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ wrote: »
    If you want me to host it I can ^_^
    ...as long as you have the domain! :V

Haha, thanks Drew! Long time no see btw.
    I'd love to borrow some hosting space until I get my own again, but unemployment makes it a bit difficult.

E-mail me at kevin.o@gamebanana.com