Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

VSS Vintorez

Bek
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Bek interpolator
It's a gun that's been done before, but it's one I've admired so much in S.T.A.L.K.E.R I just had to attempt it myself. The goal of this is to be a portfolio piece, hopefully improving on my last work.

Currently I've about 80% completed the Highpoly. From here the plan is:
  • Create low poly
  • use PipelineIO script to set hard edges by Uv borders (because apparently that's a thing you can do in modo now)
  • Bake in xNormal
  • Texture! Hopefully dDo beta will still be going by the time I get to this stage but I doubt it.

Today as well as yesterday I've been working on the PSO scope, which is probably the trickiest Sub-D work I've done to date (and you can spot the noob mistake I made of not starting with enough geo (32 sides) on the main cylinder)

9zNOYoG.png

PSO wires: http://i.imgur.com/bwGGGNN.png

wJonRW5.png

I'll be trying to update regularly, once I finish (hah) the highpoly things should speed up as well. Thanks for looking! :thumbup:

Replies

• theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    I like it, I would suggest you to use more soft edges, specially buttstock and PSO...also u got some mising details at the front grip and ofcourse lots of bolts ^^
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Been working on the PSO:

oGdazI5.jpg

bGAFf8A.png

Also added some missing details, started iron sights, few small tweaks. Only have one major part on the PSO to make. I'll definitely be softening up some edges too.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah definitely soften those edges, they ain't gonna bake right, and even look wrong at the HP stage; they are making it look like a 3D model which you don't want. ;)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    My shitty lighting setup isn't helping either, it doesn't look as sharp in the viewport. Regardless, softening stuff up now!
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    Well butt stock and its grip arent so sharp and blocky at all...now it looks very very uncomfortable to hold
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    VXdSNtL.png

MQ4NXAD.png

Been attempting to sculpt the welding on the iron sights, don't think it's looking very good though. I've just been using clay brushes with round alpha / lazymouse. Any tips for sculpting welds? PatJS's VSS Vintorez for example has MUCH better looking welds: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74921
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Dirty screengrab for you all:

pWcqA2g.png

Finishing up PSO scope, finally. Just a few more things to add.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Update:

Started the low poly, took about 2 hours (haven't done PSO yet, still optimising areas)

RrSUfrB.png

Magazine:

RfzYNi5.png

And the 99.9998% complete High Poly:

xVERArv.png

After baking, I'll be nDo'ing in details, then texturing (oh god). I might just throw on a automatic UV to do some test baking first too actually. (Already test baked the handle which turned out perfect, not sure about the barrel and some other areas though, might need some supporting loops depending on where hard edges go)
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    if u will wait for me till end of the next week, we might have VSS texturing challenge, what do u say? ^^
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I say sure but if you can texture as well as you can sub-d I have no chance :poly124: (Your PSO scope is amazing)
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    haha we will see, actually my texturing skills arent so good.... and thank you :)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    99BGsk6.png

Test bake. Another shot: http://i.imgur.com/u1tGBK5.png
    Normals:http://i.imgur.com/VKlXUlo.png

I'm not really happy with how I handled doing the welds. What I did was use planes at a 45 degree angle and take them to Zbrush, as the previous method of dynameshing the barrel + ironsights together wasn't working. Basically I had to unify mesh to get enough dynamesh resolution, but I couldn't GOZ back to un-unify because the mesh was too high poly for Modo. Is there any way to un-unify or will I have to retopo the dynamesh if I want to try this?

Next I have to bake the PSO, which won't be too hard. Then NDO in details.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    if u will wait for me till end of the next week, we might have VSS texturing challenge, what do u say? ^^
    It's saturday for me! :poly124: Technically not the end of the week but I couldn't wait, although I haven't started the PSO.
    E9QjUB1.png

P9xXfB3.png

So, the wood is still super W.I.P. Varnish will need to be reworked and then get its own special specular/gloss overlays. Also not 100% set on the plywood layers either, if I can find some wood textures other than mayang/cgtextures/wikimedia I can always reproject the laminate and try different combinations. Also, the maps (excluding normal) have no edge padding/dilation, so that's why there are seams, that will be fixed when it's done.

Pretty happy with how the purple grip turned out though, reference if you're interested: http://www.winzipification.com/References/VSS%20Vintorez/vss_sniper_rifle_4_of_9.jpg
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem, I will either start probably next week
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Cool, should be awesome to see! I'll hopefully get to work on the PSO soon, might have to revist the high poly and play around with UV's a little.
  • _DMage_
    Epic: ★★★★★ :D
  • ThaSlimShady
    Offline / Send Message
    ThaSlimShady polycounter lvl 4
    Nice one man, will you rig it as well?

A massive, massive improvement over the one in the STALKER series now ;)
  • Kon Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    Nice work so far... This looks like it would be fun to model and texture. How long did it take you to do the model?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    @Dmage: Cheers

@ThaSlimShady: I'm hoping to learn animation/rigging sometime in the near future, if so I'll probably be using this as the model. If you want to rig it to try and put it in STALKER or something I can send you the files when it's done, although might have to check if stalker uses gloss maps or how it would handle the scope being a seperate chunk.

@Kon Artist: I started the High Poly December last year, didn't really work on it in early Jan.. The last week has been pretty much working on it as much as I can. As you can see the High-Poly took me the longest, the Low Poly / UV's / Baking took less because I've had more experience with that sort of work, plus some workflow speed ups thanks to scripts and other tricks I've recently put into practice. I'd say I spent about 4-5 weeks on the high poly and maybe two days for the low poly models, although there was a bit of back and forth so its hard to give a super accurate idea.

The PSO scope was the trickiest shape and I didn't model in as much as I could have, I left a lot of little things to nDo, which helped with speeding things up but leaves a less impressive highpoly.

Today I'll probably work on the PSO texture, get it to roughly the same level as the gun and then I'll refine them both until texturing is complete.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Small texture update:

IuQmdtG.png

I'm thinking of making two textures, one clean/new materials and one worn/used, which will also be the one with the varnished wooden stock.
  • ThaSlimShady
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    @ThaSlimShady: I'm hoping to learn animation/rigging sometime in the near future, if so I'll probably be using this as the model. If you want to rig it to try and put it in STALKER or something I can send you the files when it's done, although might have to check if stalker uses gloss maps or how it would handle the scope being a seperate chunk.

Yes please. And IIRC stalkers models can use up to 3 spots for accessories (Scope, GL attachement and sil.)

For the gloss there's a way around which I came up with :D

If you'd like to know, I'd like to use it in this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery

The community really wants some updated models ;)

Thanks man, it might look like I'm keeping it cool, but I'm literally jumping in the air!
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I love the MISERY mod, was quite sad at the delays, as with lost alpha :( Also lost my COP disk somehow, luckily I still have it installed.. Lost alpha did just upload a gameplay video though.

So I've been pretty lazy recently and haven't been working that hard, although I have fixed a few errors I found, and cleaned up a bunch of behind the scenes stuff. If you're wanting to put this in MISERY I'm definitely going to have to make a beat up version ;) Which shouldn't be too hard. I'll also look at what textures can be smaller sizes, the diffuse on the PSO Scope could probably be quite low (512 or maybe even 256) since it's only really needed to block in colours and for the text which isn't super important - as long as the spec is still a decent resolution it looks good, the galvanised metal is mostly driven by the spec anyway. Normals could probably be 1024 if needed. Actually if you want it for MISERY, could even have the beat-up version the regular Vintorez, and Tide from Nimble be a cleaner / new version?

Do you have skype? If so PM me and I can send you the models if you want to have a look at them, you might not be able to use STALKER's Vintorez reloading animation because it's around the wrong way. I imagine textures will need quite a bit of tweaking for xray compared to marmoset too?

Anyway, updates.. I personally like clean weapons but I should do a beat up version for portfolio purposes anyway:

kkW3Aow.jpg

C8kmzAk.jpg
  • ThaSlimShady
    Offline / Send Message
    My skype is xThaSlimShadyx

We'll take things there from now on. I've informed the team and they're thrilled at your excitement with MISERY :) I'll keep close contact with nic and twist about this one, as we 3 decide the weapon equipment going in and out the mod. (You got 3 "wow's!" so you're good ;) )
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Small texture update:

CACNkjf.png

Basically I've started the wear and tear, which will include the wood. I've given damaging the wood a few goes but haven't got it looking too great yet. The plan at the moment is to have clean and damaged versions, with colour variations of those as well (the wood can be red, yellow, brown etc, the purple front grip can be black, etc). Here's the wood in yellow for comparison: http://i.imgur.com/XpOLVmC.png

Hopefully I'll stop obsessing over small details soon and actually finish this - I can only have so many vss-d-final-2.tga's cluttering up the place.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Updates and that:

Worn:

ZaNyD2e.png

Clean:

cmDGHj5.png

colour variations will obviously be done last once texture is finalised.
  • ThaSlimShady
    Offline / Send Message
    It's starting to shape up really nicely Bek, well done!

Just one question, wouldn't the other parts of the gun be worn, too? Minor damage here and there, not something like rust, just scratches etc. Or, you'll be doing that later on because that's not a priority?

Cheers!
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    really love the wood. i think the worn edges still need some work, looks a bit random in some areas.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Thanks! I'm trying to only put wear and scratches where it makes sense, such as areas the more extruded points (front of the barrel, bottom of the wood stock) and areas that move in use.

Here's a reference of a rather heavily worn Vintorez:

vss_sniper_rifle_7_of_9.jpg

As you can see I've still got a way to go with adding wear to the barrel, and I might have to look at the wood damage again to try and make it more consistent.
  • Toasty Fresh
    Offline / Send Message
    Toasty Fresh polycounter lvl 12
    The wood wear looks nice but doesn't really make sense. You should move the wear from the stock's middle column to the grip itself. Of those two, the grip would gain a lot more wear over time and the column would gain very little.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Hows this?

AWXAfyX.png

Included the one on the left to show what it looks like when specular highlight is right on the wood, as the worn areas are darker in both the specular and gloss.
  • ThaSlimShady
    Offline / Send Message
    That's looking damn near the one in the reference! Well done :) I especially like the "overflow", it's very natural and not harsh :)
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    If there are no objections, I think I'll call this one done and start the variations!

IGRgbMM.jpg
  • ThaSlimShady
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek wrote: »
    If there are no objections, I think I'll call this one done and start the variations!

IGRgbMM.jpg

Awesome, really well done man :)