Home General Discussion

THQ layoffs

Replies

• BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Sorry to hear, Vigil's art team has been a major inspiration to me personally. I'm sure you guys will find jobs soon.
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    I will miss everyone at Vigil. I LOVED the art and style of the games we made.

- BoBo

I was hoping for good news today for you awesome Vigilantes. I'll miss playing your games :(
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that the CEO said they had creditors backing them up and a solid plan to reorganize out of Chapter 11?

Was that all grade A bullshit, or did a bunch of damn lawyers screw it all up again?

That was the hope, the issue is that the original creditors who helped THQ stay afloat were like, uhhhhhh fuck that. They felt that the IP's and studios would net more revenue (aka return of the money they let + more) if sold off piece by piece rather than let Clearwater buyout the entire studio.

They were of course right, it would indeed net them more money that way, but Jason Reuben and the rest hoped they could slip the Chapter 11 bankruptcy situation through quickly so that THQ wouldn't be picked apart like it was. Thats why THQ had such a fast tracked Chapter 11 and thats why the original creditors posed an injunction on the proceedings and set up this court auction.

From a business standpoint it was the smart move by the original creditors to sell off assets piece by piece. It of course royally fucking sucks, all the work that Jason Reuben put into the company to hope to turn it around (which was looking promising) and keep THQ together as a whole was dashed by the creditors.

Really really sucks :/ But we have some positions open at Naughty Dog http://www.naughtydog.com/work/
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Wow, sad news.

We're currently looking for mid-level environment artists at Big Red Button Entertainment in SoCal. Even if you're not mid-level, PM or email and I'll pass your stuff along.

Best wishes.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    Since most of the companies affected are in the states i don't know how much this is going to help, but there are a lot of companies hiring in Stockholm for those interested in making the move.

So sad to see quality studios get closed down.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    I have to say I'm more proud to be a part of this industry and the community of people here at polycount everytime something like this happens. I love how we take care of each other, and it's not a cut throat every man for himself kind of industry.

My heart goes out to everyone! I really hope everyone finds a good spot!
  • IanTSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A damned shame. My short time at vigil in 2011 was amazing, truly breaks my heart to read this news.

As many others have posted, even Cryptic, here in the bay area, is hiring. (don't listen to the website!)

Best of luck to all the Vigilites.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Truly tragic and the splintering of a great studio in Vigil, Hope everyone lands on their feet.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    keepin my fingers crossed for all my buddies at relic now that its owned by sega. who knows, they might get a badass project from them. RTS aliens game anyone? shame about vigil, when i was at relic we worked with them on the 40k mmo and there was some super cool stuff in it. Ubi is always hiring , anyone lookin just PM me and I will see what I can do to hook a brotha up!
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Really bad news!
    It looks like 2013 wont be a happy year but hopefully talented people of THQ will find jobs quickly.

OFF TOPIC

Who is developing CoH2?

I cant access their page..
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Why wasn't Vigil picked up!?
    What the fuck is this stupid fucking Bullshit, Homefront (no offense to anyone working on it but, there are enough warshooters) get's purchased but not fucking Darksiders and Vigils insane talent?

THQ was the last company willing to publish triple A shit no one else touched, and now they're dead.
    Oh well at least we have Activision and EA controlling everything and milking things to shit, so that's great.

Hope everyone lands on their feet, fuck everything.

Homefront sequel is being already being made by Crytek, and they're a company known for FPS games, there is nothing BS in this regard, they're buying the license to something they're already working on.

Darksiders was sold to Take2 from what I gathered.

Vigil wasn't picked up because all the licenses were they worked on were sold off (and bought) by studios that either like to keep things in-house or are under a bigger publisher.
    GarageBay9 wrote: »
    Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that the CEO said they had creditors backing them up and a solid plan to reorganize out of Chapter 11?

Was that all grade A bullshit, or did a bunch of damn lawyers screw it all up again?

People actually believed that? I find it hard to believe that 'suddenly' a millionaire would pop out and invest in a company in such a shaky situation.

Even if it was true, the money in question was about 60-70m to help 'reorganize' the studios under THQ, which would still most likely have ended up in a mess like now, with half of the studios closes and only a few core select ones open, let alone the entire issue where the person couldn't buy THQ because apparently some issues with the buyout.

Hell, THQ even 'hinted' they were drowning when they didn't contest the delisting in stock.
    ivanzu wrote: »
    Really bad news!
    It looks like 2013 wont be a happy year but hopefully talented people of THQ will find jobs quickly.

OFF TOPIC

Who is developing CoH2?

I cant access their page..

Relic, but now they're under Sega which doesn't really bode well if you look at history.
  • Giles_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really sorry to hear the bad news, been through it myself before and went through a redundancy scare late last year. Really is amazing how many large developers are making redundancies. I don't think it was posted but just before christmas Eurocom in Derby UK went bust, 200 people were made redundant.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    I LOVED the art and style of the games we made.

- BoBo

I think 98% of us outsiders did too.

Sorry to hear all this. Best of luck y'all.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Ace-Angel wrote: »

Relic, but now they're under Sega which doesn't really bode well if you look at history.

which history? Creative Assembly and their games have been handled pretty well under Sega.

edit: nevermind, they had layoffs recently so that's not super rosy
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    skylebones wrote: »
    I believe originally it was going to be sold to one financial backer for $60mil, allowing them to re-organize. But the investors got a court to stop that and allow an auction to happen. If the auction brought in more than $60mil then the company would be sold in pieces. Which is what happened.

And thus is why any future studios heads out there should remember to remain separate from any publisher who especially uses stock to finance.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I will miss everyone at Vigil. I LOVED the art and style of the games we made.

- BoBo

BOBO!!!!!!!!!! i cant believe vigil didn't get picked up that one of the only studios i would buy so much talent!
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    This sucks :/ I hope everyone lands on their feet. I really liked the work you guys did on Darksiders 1 and 2.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Sad,sad news.....

Vigil was the studio that I aspired to when I moved over from toy soldiers and the art of their employees past and present has always been a huge inspiration while I tried to get good enough to join them.

It really does suck to see it end like this, best of luck to all THQ employees at this time.
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    really sucky news, I hope everyone lands on their feet and finds someplace new to rock out in soon!
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This breaks my heart, Vigil had such an amazing art team. :(

I was really rooting for THQ to get out of this mess, I just hope all the titles they were working on will still be as good if not better then they would have been under THQ.

Best of luck to all those affected!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Condolences to everyone effected, i hope your all able to land on your feet and find yourself in a stable and inspiring work environment in the near future.

Keep chasing the dream :)
  • Danglebob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Danglebob polycounter lvl 15
    Keep your heads up ex-THQ and ex-Vigil employees. You are all talented and won't stay unemployed for long. I guarantee it.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nick2730 wrote: »
    seriously, im not even trying to find a job anymore its almost not worth the effort. Going to go the indie route and try our own small game. AAA dev just isnt worth it plus the companies have the business model all wrong to succeed

No fucking kidding.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=46817540&postcount=325

My name is Ben Cureton, and I was the Lead Combat Designer at Vigil Games. I'm sitting at my desk among... what appears to be a warzone. The walls look bare. It's quiet.

The seats are empty.

We've all been on edge for the past couple months... and more so, the last couple weeks. I mean, I'm sure you can imagine what it's like to wonder if you will have a job tomorrow. Most of us here joked about it just to keep the mood light, but we all knew what could happen. Now I look around and I realize... it did happen.

Am I sad? Well yea. I've been in this industry for 20 years. Seriously. Two decades. I've been laid off more than once. It sucks every time. But am I sad I don't have a job? Not really... I'm sure I'll get another one eventually. I'm sad because it won't be THIS job. It won't be at Vigil. That's why I'm sad. The people I waged war with are no longer together. The people that I bled with, vented with, argued with (often times LOUDLY), and kicked back with... these people will never be together again in the same combination.

Not that it was perfect. But what is perfect? Did I like coming to work? Yes. Was I proud of the work that I did? Yes. More importantly, was I proud of the work that WE did? Absolutely. I knew, without a shadow of the doubt, that the project we were working on (Codenamed: Crawler) was going to blow people away. In fact, it DID blow people away. We did, in TWO months, what many companies haven't done in a year. The pride of knowing that no one was doing anything like us was so satisfying, it kept us coming to work and giving 100% every single day, even through the dark times.

... so maybe you can imagine what it feels like when you read the list of who bought what only to discover your name is not on the list. Why? Did we do something wrong? Were we not good enough? Were we not worth 'anything?' Imagine that.

Vigil was filled with people that I would put up against the best in the industry. People that made my work better, people that made me a better designer, and people that made me a better person. And now they are gone.

Their seats are empty.

It's OK, though. I guess this post makes it sound a bit melodramatic. Seriously... if you work in the video game industry you have to be resilient. Doing what you love often comes with a price - anyone who has been around for a while can tell you that. Today, that price has been paid. That being said, I'd still never dissuade anyone from following their dreams if their dream is to make video games. While it's not as romantic as it sounds, it's sure a hell of a lot of fun.

So don't cry for the people at Vigil. We made games for game players. I have no Horror stories from working here... only Honor stories. Through both praise and critiques alike, our goal was always to make a product as if we, ourselves, were the end-user. We may have gotten pushed and pulled in certain directions by forces out of our control, we were always in it to make games for game players. And that's what we did.

I can only hope that those spared from the other companies remain employed long into the future. There is not much worse than false hope, and these people deserve to continue making great games. You may not know their names, but they exist, and they bleed, sweat, and cry for your entertainment. I mean that honestly, with no negativity. They do it... no, WE do it... because we want you to have a good time.

In closing, I can only say thank you to the fans of Vigil games. Your support means more than you can imagine. Your feedback (both positive and negative) gave us long-lasting insight that we will all take with us, wherever we may go. You are the reason we made Darksiders 1 &2... and you are the reason we will continue to make games.

And with that... my seat is empty.

Ben Cureton
    Lead Combat Designer
    Vigil Games

P.S. This is no place for a horse.

Bummer.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    Truly sad news. This was a very inspiring studio =/
  • motenai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    Man, all this is so fucking sad...i read the news this morning and i couldn't believe it. I came straight forward here to see what people said, just to discover that it's all confirmed.
    And now, after reading the mail above, i'm almost at tears! Honestly, i've never met anyone that worked at Vigil, and still i always felt that Vigil was a kind of little "home" for many of us who love art and games.
    Maybe because they created something that in the last few year of game history, finally broke the boring pattern of "war simulation/realism", and they did it with a style that is more than unique, and more than badass!
    I believed that a great studio like vigil, that gave so much to players like me, could never come to an end, or at least that it would have been the first one to be bought if THQ went down. And today the bitter surprise. I don't know the reasons, but i feel like suddenly there is no more space in the world for a game that is unique, and for its creators. It's sad!
    But at least, remember that for me and a lot of other people, YOU GUYS AT VIGIL MADE THE HISTORY OF GAMES!
    GoodBye :(
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Sad news to hear, such talent, I can see good things in the future for those that I know of(anyway) that have worked at Vigil.

<3 till my dieing day the artwork of Darksiders 1&2!

In all seriousness get together and make a studio or work on a side game for a few years with each-other and see how well that launches you guys forward. It doesn't hurt to try, you might make a huge difference in your own lives as well as others.

Maybe make a studio everyone would kill to be in, be the change you want to see, If I could I so would.
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    http://kotaku.com/5978522/the-makers-of-bayonetta-would-love-to-buy-the-suddenly+endangered-darksiders

The Makers of Bayonetta Would Love to Buy The Suddenly-Endangered Darksiders Series
    Platinum Games is interested in Darksiders, it could prove to be a fascinating mix if it actually happens. I only hope they have interest in Vigil as well, I don't think Darksiders could be properly finished without them.

My condolences to all who where affected by this, I hope you all land on your feet.
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/23/3907840/thq-bankruptcy-vigil-bids

How could you not bid on such a talented team :(

heart goes out to those affected
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Alemja wrote: »
    http://kotaku.com/5978522/the-makers-of-bayonetta-would-love-to-buy-the-suddenly+endangered-darksiders

Platinum Games is interested in Darksiders, it could prove to be a fascinating mix if it actually happens. I only hope they have interest in Vigil as well, I don't think Darksiders could be properly finished without them.

My condolences to all who where affected by this, I hope you all land on your feet.

Unsure about Platinum, they do action adventure games really well, it might fit with them, but Darksiders wont be Darksiders without Vigil and their team.

Also the comments on that article... urrrgh.. Kotaku..
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Kotaku's comment secionts is a Den of Snakes and Vipers.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Kotaku's comment secionts is a Den of Snakes and Vipers.

Well... it's Kotaku. :poly142:
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Kotaku's comment sections is a Den of Snakes and Vipers.

A wretched hive of scum and villainy, as Alec would put it. Not as revolting as youtube but that's not saying a lot in its defence. :thumbup:

Very poignant. Everything ends, for one reason and another. I hate that personally; having to leave a group that has become family.
    I also like how his general message was 'We'll be ok.' instead of the typical 'We got shafted, this was him fault, that was their fault', etc.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Truly sad news. This was a very inspiring studio =/

Nah. It cheaper to fire them all, and then rehire than buying entire studio (?).
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very disappointing, I wish the best of luck to the amazing talent from Vigil in finding new homes and new exciting projects to work on. Will keep an eye out for opportunities to pass your way.

-Matt
  • Trage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    which history? Creative Assembly and their games have been handled pretty well under Sega.

edit: nevermind, they had layoffs recently so that's not super rosy

Hey Im a Lead Enviro Artist on total War... Segas management of Total war/ CA in general has been good, They've generally come in with the Attitude "We're not going to meddle and fix somthing that Isn't broken" And with that I expect Relic to be a very good fit.. Sega wants several good In house studios and Is supporting and growing them. With CA, Sports Interactive and Relic now It has a core to build a good thing.. I'm still waiting for any Internal conformation of the Relic stuff...

Also We have never laid anyone off In the 6 years I've been at CA.. And the studios gone from 60 people to nearer 220... So theres Investment and trust. I think It's a great fit and hope Relic find It the same.

Edit - The Layoffs your talking about were restructuring the Publishing and marketing teams so there wasn't massive overlap across several territorys

---

On the other hand Im really sad for Vigil and all the great guys there :( good luck to all of them.. I hope someone comes In ASAP and makes any offer!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    This industry is collapsing... it was a matter of time. Sad news.
  • Trage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    This industry is collapsing... it was a matter of time. Sad news.

Aaaah no the worlds going to End... We are in the middle of a contraction unsurprisingly linked to the economy and the growth of mobile.

Some companys are suffering and closing, others are still doing fine and actually now working in an industry with less competitors so potential for more market share goes up.. It's really not as bad as people are saying all round. Technology Industrys go in cycles and we happen to be in a downsizing and contracting cycle at the moment, It sucks but collapsing is a bit dramatic.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    yeah, i'm very dramatic, and i was seeing this coming.
  • Trage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    yeah, i'm very dramatic, and i was seeing this coming.

Sadly I think we all saw this coming for THQ... :( It's a big shame as I was looking through my games recently and realised how many were THQ games. Which also really makes me wonder how they messed up so bad? to ambitious with projects, poor forcasting of results, too high estimates of sales? Guess we'll never really know the truth...
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Nah. "Video games" is going to end. Well, not in the sense that games will become a niche again.

What we will see is more like the changes that have occurred in cinema. TV/Internet is analogous to mobile gaming, giant stacked companies are like the strongly vertically integrated hollywood studios from the 1950s.

The giant explosion of video games as a medium is at its peak/end and is stabilizing, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Games will evolve a bit and the market and business-practices need to adjust.

Rough seas, sunken ships, lost sailors. But new lands will be discovered. Though, it doesn't make the casualties any less sad.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Trage wrote: »
    Sadly I think we all saw this coming for THQ... :( It's a big shame as I was looking through my games recently and realised how many were THQ games. Which also really makes me wonder how they messed up so bad? to ambitious with projects, poor forcasting of results, too high estimates of sales? Guess we'll never really know the truth...

We do know though. A stupid head who thought udraw for all platforms was a good idea.
  • D.Carmine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I went on a tour of THQ owned studio back in late 07. I was still just starting in my career. I remember how awesome everything was, the cubicles the people and the view from the top of the office was amazing. I was struggling to find my place in the game industry for a few months, but after that visit I knew this was the career I wanted.

I chatted with a friend who worked for THQ at this past E3. A few weeks before they apparently found out that they wouldn't have a booth. Which was understandable but it was a bummer for my friend because this would've been their first E3 at a studio.

I spent most of the day reading the news and being a bit depressed at the state of the industry. I really do hope every affected by this can find jobs asap.

Here is to hoping it gets better.

- D.Carmine
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    so wtf is going on the minds of these studios / investors.. vigil is one of the best studios in the world so wtf.. so why noone wants to buy it?!?

wtf-is-this-shit_640_417_s_c1_center_top_0_0.jpeg
  • Clos3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    I really hate to see family being broken and split apart.... Working many hours all week, all year round, you create a strong bonds with your colleagues and they just become, part of you life and like family.

To all THQ , hope you find a new home.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    Skamberin wrote: »
    Unsure about Platinum, they do action adventure games really well, it might fit with them, but Darksiders wont be Darksiders without Vigil and their team.

Also the comments on that article... urrrgh.. Kotaku..

https://twitter.com/PG_minami/status/294234748363091968
    オイオイ(>_<)

oi oi (>_<) = basically his boss telling him that he is over the line,
    so it could be a bad joke that went viral ...
  • slipsius
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Ubisoft really went in there with those low bids.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I'm surprised Sega didn't go for Metro or Saints.