Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
Please any help would be appreciated

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    just the apply two materials in Maya/max to the different polygons/subobjects and export/import like usual. There'll be two LODslots for materials in Unreal.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Do make sure that, the materials you export from 3ds max, have a texture in them. Otherwise UDK won't recognize them as a new material.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    SanderDL wrote: »
    Do make sure that, the materials you export from 3ds max, have a texture in them. Otherwise UDK won't recognize them as a new material.

is that just a max thign, i dont think i ever had that problem in maya, and i almost never have a texture applied.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Ive seen that problem in maya before--it might only be only present with some combo of multiple materials/static meshes/UVing outside of 0/1/and FBX ...it basically tosses the UVs and creates garbage in their place. Never really investigated it since it since its so easy to avoid.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew you needed two texture channels before exporting from max, but the problem is that they have change it in 2013 that you need to use a modifier, it not where it originally was, so yeah, the modifier is called Material, if anyone was wondering.
  • Satotiga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Satotiga polycounter lvl 11
    Whenever I've had to do this I have applied a Multi Sub material to my model and then used the Poly-select to apply the 2 material to different parts.

Is using the Material modifier Sziada mentioned better or worse somehow?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToTheWorld wrote: »
    Whenever I've had to do this I have applied a Multi Sub material to my model and then used the Poly-select to apply the 2 material to different parts.

Is using the Material modifier Sziada mentioned better or worse somehow?

From all the tutorials I have seen so far it's says to have 2 material channels, I haven't tried your method, but from personal experience mine works fine. :)
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 11
    Material modifier was there before 2013. That and setting Mat ID's in Poly select mode both work.

I've never had the problem SanderDL mentioned btw. :/ I just apply a Multi/sub object material and make sure all the sub materials have different names and it works just fine.