Offline / Send Message
sziada polycounter lvl 11
Please any help would be appreciated

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    just the apply two materials in Maya/max to the different polygons/subobjects and export/import like usual. There'll be two LODslots for materials in Unreal.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • SanderDL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SanderDL polycounter lvl 7
    Do make sure that, the materials you export from 3ds max, have a texture in them. Otherwise UDK won't recognize them as a new material.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    SanderDL wrote: »
    Do make sure that, the materials you export from 3ds max, have a texture in them. Otherwise UDK won't recognize them as a new material.

is that just a max thign, i dont think i ever had that problem in maya, and i almost never have a texture applied.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    Ive seen that problem in maya before--it might only be only present with some combo of multiple materials/static meshes/UVing outside of 0/1/and FBX ...it basically tosses the UVs and creates garbage in their place. Never really investigated it since it since its so easy to avoid.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I knew you needed two texture channels before exporting from max, but the problem is that they have change it in 2013 that you need to use a modifier, it not where it originally was, so yeah, the modifier is called Material, if anyone was wondering.
  • Satotiga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Satotiga polycounter lvl 11
    Whenever I've had to do this I have applied a Multi Sub material to my model and then used the Poly-select to apply the 2 material to different parts.

Is using the Material modifier Sziada mentioned better or worse somehow?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ToTheWorld wrote: »
    Whenever I've had to do this I have applied a Multi Sub material to my model and then used the Poly-select to apply the 2 material to different parts.

Is using the Material modifier Sziada mentioned better or worse somehow?

From all the tutorials I have seen so far it's says to have 2 material channels, I haven't tried your method, but from personal experience mine works fine. :)
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Material modifier was there before 2013. That and setting Mat ID's in Poly select mode both work.

I've never had the problem SanderDL mentioned btw. :/ I just apply a Multi/sub object material and make sure all the sub materials have different names and it works just fine.