Home General Discussion

Cyberpunk 2077 CG Teaser is out

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
Cyberpunk 2077 CG Teaser is out - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P99qJGrPNLs"]Cyberpunk 2077 Teaser Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    this is the game I've been waiting for! Cant wait to see how much better red engine can make badass art look.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I absolutely adore this. Also the name is bad ass. Straight, to the point. Clean. Bad Ass Retro Futurism Font.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Awesome! There's not enough cyberpunk games out there, and an open world one like this would be sick.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    coming: when it's ready
    chuckle
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    That was really well done. Can't wait to see more!
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Can't wait for this. Loved the Witcher games.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Just saw the teaser video and it's the first I've heard about it. Checked out their site but there's not much I've gleaned from it :(
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    for those that might not have caught it:
    uBiyq.png
  • tottot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Awesome work.
    They must've paid a crap ton to whoever was sitting on that domain name
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool - I was a bit thrown off by the Radiohead sound-a-like band :P
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    I can't wait for this, absolutely love the style
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    super dig the style, the trailer was fantastic!
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man this is going to be good....hopefully, early days still..... But you just gotta remember that it's cd projekt red and your faith is restored.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    <puts on mirror-shades>

bought dam time we get some sci-fi that doesn't have elves.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Wait, so they are announcing another game February 8th??
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This must be Platige Image's work, they've done the Witcher trailers as well as some nice shorts (Cathedral, Ark etc). Good to see more sci-fi games, hopefully they'll do a console version too ;)
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell all ova that thang. Like.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    WOW awsome :D ! One of my favorite devs doing a blade runneresque/ghost in the shell type of game? YES PLEASE!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    And that’s not all that’s new. We are about to reveal our other project, which is much closer to being completed. And yes, it will also be a fully open-world game with an intense story. You can probably guess the game we’re talking about. ;-) On the 5th of February it will all be clear.

The most exciting part for me, I really enjoyed Witcher 2 and am looking forward to what they are about to put out.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Presumably the "You can probably guess the game we're talking about" indicates that it's The Witcher 3. Which is awesome as far as I'm concerned.

Not much to go on with the Cyberpunk trailer. I guess you'll play as a character forcibly drafter into the psycho squad.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Dem boys got taste. And class.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    The trailer is amazing :)
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Brilliant trailer, looks amazing.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    First thing comming to mind: O M F G Finally !!!!
    then i cool down and wonder what the gameplay will be like. Really it's about time a good cyberpunk game is made. Not saying DeusX was bad but damn man. I just really hope they'll make it with the same quality and care as they made the witcher 2. If they do that then it's a sure hit. But hoping that you can only get better i'm not to worried about it. Dang man. yeah i can't wait for more info.

ps. love the way some devs now just say "when it's ready". I like that much better then pinning a date they just have to move again and again or can't make and release half broken games :).
  • ironbelly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbelly polycounter lvl 9
    Easily the most amazing trailer for any game I've seen in so long.. I mean soley on the visuals as we have eye candy every week but the cconcept, someone really going after the Bladerunner style cyberpunk. Obviously Hard Rest did an amazing job to capture this but it wasn't about skinjobs and the whole bladerunner mythos quite as much.. This look unreal
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I stumbled on some of the concepts and making of the teaser:
    e8b5b1b0b5293e5e774b75effd838d12.jpg4a7fcff895f60f4b87f46f70cd17d37d.jpge08cdc3af2bcdf15f6866bff862a9043.jpg
    e1a6c8130a382f33fcff17d20f62913a.jpg

There is more of it at the link above
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that's an excellent find, very interesting read.

Sometimes I hate Behance for that tiny image format though, can't even save out those images for reference/inspiration.
  • eastblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting to see they use max
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So does Blur (except for animation and rigging), I thought this is well known.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Found couple of these on one of the guys cg-hub

778_max.jpg
    915_max.jpg
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/making-of-cyberpunk-2077-by-platige-images/

^ overview of the trailer.

'Video games frequently feature banally designed female characters, composed of the same hackneyed elements. Though undoubtedly beautiful, these characters are often contrived. In this particular case, the ability to work with a real actress thoroughly transformed the film.'

Im not really convinced with this, the 3d scanning dosn't really create a 'better' look than if they'd sculpted it and i'd say putting a lady only dressed in a courset in the street is still pretty contrived:/ Saying that i'm really looking forward to the game
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Ikosan wrote: »
    i'd say putting a lady only dressed in a courset in the street is still pretty contrived:/ Saying that i'm really looking forward to the game

It's based on Cyberpunk 2020, so this isn't unfaithful to the source material.

Needs more pink leopard print, tri-hawks and cyborg rock and roll bands :P.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    just playing through the witcher 2 for the first time. Cyberpunk by these guys, im excited to see how it turns out and my expectations are now high!
  • MasteroftheFork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MasteroftheFork polycounter lvl 18
    Soon as I saw CD Projekt I was sold, but the trailer was awesome! I hope you play the lady.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Ikosan wrote: »
    http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/making-of-cyberpunk-2077-by-platige-images/

^ overview of the trailer.

'Video games frequently feature banally designed female characters, composed of the same hackneyed elements. Though undoubtedly beautiful, these characters are often contrived. In this particular case, the ability to work with a real actress thoroughly transformed the film.'

I'm not really convinced with this, the 3d scanning doesn't really create a 'better' look than if they'd sculpted it and i'd say putting a lady only dressed in a corset in the street is still pretty contrived:/ Saying that i'm really looking forward to the game
    There's certainly an element of that there, but I think it's not the only one.

The story here, as I understand it at least, is that in Cyberpunk there's a danger where if a person replaces too many of their natural body parts with artificial cybernetic ones, they run the risk of beginning to lose their humanity, eventually resulting in violent psychotic episodes. The woman in the trailer has obviously gone on a rampage and killed a bunch of people (it's clearer in the making-of shots) and the "Psycho Squad", a police force set up specifically to deal with those who have gone to far with the cybernetics have come in to deal with her.

With this in mind, I think having the character semi-unclothed and in a submissive position works both to dehumanise her a little, not least because you can see the mechanical joints, while also making her her more sympathetic. Or something to that effect at least.

Of course it also means they get a pretty girl in her underpants for their marketing campaign.

I suspect this is probably just a small snippet of a longer trailer, so hopefully things will be made a little clearer in the full version.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Cyberpunk 2020, humanity and empathy are character stats. Most implants and upgrades cost a number of humanity points. The closer to zero you get, the less you identify as a human, and are prone to cyberpsycho episodes, similar to the uncontrollable feral rage seen in other games. This girl is all jacked up, remorseless, and looks halfway shut down. Honey badger don't give a shit about the cops and their bullets!

I'm glad they make this a big point in this teaser. Cyberpunk's big theme is the human/machine dichotomy, I'm curious if it will be a major plot point in their game.

I also hope they keep the character creation from the books, it's a really great tool for setting a background for your character based on dice rolls.
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Speaking as someone unfamiliar with the Cyberpunk brand, I thought that paragraph about banally designed characters was ironic.

The first impression I had was that, yes, the character was blatantly sexualized - but not because of the typical marketing appeal of scantily-clad women. Rather, I though they were going for the whole Blade Runner, general 80's movie vibe, back when American cinema was a lot more exhibitionist (yes, for the same old 'sex sells' reasons) - and I thought it was a perfect callback to that era with the design.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Cyberpunk 2020, humanity and empathy are character stats. Most implants and upgrades cost a number of humanity points. The closer to zero you get, the less you identify as a human, and are prone to cyberpsycho episodes, similar to the uncontrollable feral rage seen in other games. This girl is all jacked up, remorseless, and looks halfway shut down. Honey badger don't give a shit about the cops and their bullets!

I'm glad they make this a big point in this teaser. Cyberpunk's big theme is the human/machine dichotomy, I'm curious if it will be a major plot point in their game.

I also hope they keep the character creation from the books, it's a really great tool for setting a background for your character based on dice rolls.

Absolutely. I think you summed it up many times more eloquently than I ever could have.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Anyone know why the police woman at the end of the trailer is bearing the same facial scar (From the bullet impact) that the psycho was in the beginning?

Is there some weird element of parts looting in this particular Cyberpunk setting? Maybe she was the one that hacked into the psycho's brain and shut her down, Ghost in the Shell style?
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^It is rather that the police captured the female cyborg and reprogrammed her or something and whole thing before is just a flashback.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't recall any reprogramming being possible in Cyberpunk 2020, but the cyborg bodies did take a human brain as control. Cyberpunk 203X introduced the ability to control a body remotely via the net and Ghosts (pysche detached from bodies, uploaded to the net) ala Ghost in the Shell.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Interesting, I wonder if the premise of this game will be that you were one of the psychos, mind wiped, and put out to do a job, Deus Ex style.

Anyway, more cyberpunk is a good excuse to do fancy biotech modeling and art. Should be fun.
  • HardBaller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HardBaller polycounter lvl 7
    Wasn't sure if i'd make a separate topic for this. But it's (i think) the first Dev. Diary out atm for cyberpunk 2077. I like these kind of vids. Give some insight into what's going to be.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaX7G2sibMQ&quot;]Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Diary: Mike Pondsmith and the Cyberpunk World - YouTube[/ame]
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    "Ever since we set out to create it, we knew the promo would work only if the female protagonist engendered a serious emotional response in the viewers and push the aesthetic boundaries of the typical female form. Video games frequently feature banally designed female characters, composed of the same hackneyed elements. Though undoubtedly beautiful, these characters are often contrived. In this particular case, the ability to work with a real actress thoroughly transformed the film.

The scanning enabled us to capture this fleeting element of authenticity, to use the beauty of a real person. It was truly a qualitative change. Despite the fact that the scanned models required processing and remodeling, they turned out to be the perfect solution for this project, as far as both timeframe and quality are concerned."

what they ACTUALLY meant;

"we need some titts and ass for the trailer. also there should probably be some baddass dude in a treathening position. that hitman trailer clearly showed that gamers these days want nothing less then shooting at women in corsets. and if we get any criticism for our obviuos sexist views, we just say that it was made in a ironic, tounge in cheek kind of way"

im still pretty excited about the game though. cyberpunk for the win!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I don't see any issue with the content of this trailer personally; if they got a call to the red light district or whatever, that's just where they were called too. Malfunctioning cyborg prostitutes have been in media for years, just look at Ghost in the Shell.
    There is a valid reason for it; it definitely is not as pointless, cheap and tacky as random sexy killer nuns that end up having little bearing on the game.

I still have The Witcher 1&2 sitting in my steam account waiting to be played. Damn Battlefield!! >:( ;)

From what I'm reading in this thread the source material seems very interesting. I hope that more augs/less humanity thing transfers to the game. Use more augs, end up doing shitty things, get bad ending etc.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The original pen and paper role playing game was quite good in that regard, and it also encouraged players to avoid combat where possible (it was very easy to die, and death is permanent).

So long as this doesn't turn into a watered down sci-fi shooter, and stays fairly faithful to the source material it could be pretty solid.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i noticed that so far it's being described as rpg, while witcher is known as an action rpg. i'd love to see a cyberpunk (not this Cyberpunk, any kind of cyberpunk) game with a more classical rpg approach to combat mechanics, camera distance etc. i suppose that with this kind of source material dice rolls and stats and stuff is what fans are expecting?
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    I really, REALLY, hope that they don't just turn it into an action FPS set in a Cyberpunk setting, because it's easier and might apply to larger audience (aka more money), instead of making a proper RPG game, with more functions and decisions then "Messy kill vs Silent takedown". My brother and I had some really fun games with friends in this game, and made our own internal memes. :) Hearing a heavy breathing behind you suddenly in our game just trigger "Oh Noooooo" because of those experiences. ;)