Home Technical Talk

Maya Won't Triangulate Some Parts Of Mesh?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TychoVII polycounter lvl 13
I'm fairly new to Maya so this is probably a n00b problem. I need to triangulate my mesh which is composed of many different elements. I selected all of them and tried using Mesh > Triangulate. It worked on some of them and did nothing on the rest. I tried deleting their history (one of the few tricks I know) but that didn't help.
Any ideas?

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did you try triangulating the problem objects one at a time? Perhaps Maya will give you an error, this isn't something I've ran into or can recreate.
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I figured it out. Some of my objects still had an envelope from a previous bake. It would triangulate the envelope and not the actual mesh. Deleting the envelope and then triangulating the mesh worked. I wish I could preserve the envelope though.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    TychoVII wrote: »
    I think I figured it out. Some of my objects still had an envelope from a previous bake. It would triangulate the envelope and not the actual mesh. Deleting the envelope and then triangulating the mesh worked. I wish I could preserve the envelope though.
    Hmmm, the envelope of a mesh is just a shape node parented to the mesh itself. You can probably unparent the envelope before triangulating.
  • TychoVII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    Hmmm, the envelope of a mesh is just a shape node parented to the mesh itself. You can probably unparent the envelope before triangulating.

That's a Maya process I am completely unfamiliar with so I'll have to look into that. Thanks for the tip though :D