Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Beginner.Critique Needed

Thunderent
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Thunderent polycounter lvl 10
Hi!

I started doing 3d about a year ago,but didn't really improve constantly(took a lot of brakes...a lot)

I want some critique on my work so far :D

Old TV

televizoru.png

Civil War Cannon

cannonfinal.jpg

Airplane(quick textures)

airplanefinal.jpg

I won't be working on these models anymore,but some tips to improve my skills would be really helpful.

Thanks,
Thunderent

Replies

• Thunderent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Environments(in Unity):

temple5.jpg

temple4.jpg

temple2o.jpg
  • fantom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi. Nice work. First two model are Ok, nice textures. Only plane looks a little bit like ( speed modeling/texturing )

And underwater sceen looks promising :) I would put some people sculptures there :P Keep going

Cheers!
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    The first 2 models look nice but remove the third one totally.You could use some more polys on the area around TV screen.
  • Thunderent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

The plane was indeed a "speed modelling/texturing",the entire process took about 1 hours,give or take 20 minutes.

I'm currently trying to improve my organic/round shapes modelling skills,working on another airplane atm.

Here's another model I did a few days ago(my first character actually).I followed the first 5 free tutorials from Digital-Tutors,then modelled the rest myself.

characteru.jpg
  • Thunderent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New model.

Medieval Battering Ram.

I don't know why but most of my textures end up being very noisy,no matter the texture size...anyone know why this happens?

finalym.jpg

Moving on to animations now. :D

Also here's the texture.A little bit messy in some parts.I'm realizing now,that I wasted some UVspace on the lower part of the texture.

texturek.jpg
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    Thunderent wrote: »
    New model.

Medieval Battering Ram.

I don't know why but most of my textures end up being very noisy,no matter the texture size...anyone know why this happens?

finalym.jpg

Moving on to animations now. :D

Also here's the texture.A little bit messy in some parts.I'm realizing now,that I wasted some UVspace on the lower part of the texture.

texturek.jpg

It looks like you're using a lot of photos for your textures which can be noisy by default. Texturing is as much about knowing when not to use detail as when to add detail.

Also there isn't a lot going on to draw attention to key areas of focus on your Battering ram. It's a good start though. I'd fade some areas to shadow (not complete black though) and also add some lighter areas where you want to draw the eye. The metal is probably a good opportunity for this.
  • Thunderent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback artquest!

I've always used photos for my textures(which I now realize was kind of a bad thing...I've made bad habit out of this).But how exactly could I texture something without too much use of photos(I'm talking about realistic textures)?

I looked at the some of the texturing tutorials here and in most of them the texture is mostly hand-made(the scratches,highlights,dirt,etc).Maybe I should follow the same principles?
  • Marisa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marisa polycounter lvl 17
    One quick thing I noticed is the civil war cannon UVs are packed really nice. But you could've stacked a few pieces to give it a little more resolution. Like the wheels look unique when they could've been stacked.
    Keep going!
  • Thunderent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm starting a new piece here,a Vespa Scooter.

I want some feedback on it,before moving on so I don't mess up things later.The wheels look weird too me.

scootery.jpg
  • Thunderent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on the Scooter.Looking for feedback! :D

vespascoot.jpg