Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Bus Stop

Hey all!

I'm taking a break from finishing some stuff in my portfolio, so I can take on a much needed mini environment.

finalcomposite.jpg

scifibusstop16.jpg

I hoped to take the product and basic design skills I've learned at work and come up with something I could "own" a bit. Here's a quick breakdown of my process and goals.

I wanted to take a mundane piece and change it up a lot. So I started with the bus stop and broke it down into big volumes/recognizable shapes. I also envisioned a very rounded aesthetic; and thus, created something that feels almost playful in a way. It has a duplo-like construction. The plan is to go in a more realistic direction for texturing to ground it all a bit more. This whole process has affected scale too, as I wanted something bigger.

Functionality played a big part in the design, though I wanted to let the playfulness influence it. This meant I needed to find a balance between a sense of realism and absurdity. Here's a visual breakdown of parts

scifibusstop26.jpg

scifibusstop27.jpg

Finally, as far as story is concerned, I wanted the scene to be rather isolated. I was inspired by Borderlands and how so many structures are located in the middle of nowhere. So the idea is that the stop has been out of repair for a while and is rundown.

The end goal is to learn cryengine and put the scene in there.

I started cracking on the low poly and doing some test bakes. One side is at 6012 tris. Some folks say that's spot on, and others say it's way too much. Keep in mind that I'm not planning on going overboard with optimization, but I want to avoid being sloppy.

scifibusstop25.jpg

There's a lot more thought and design that happened, but I'd like to avoid a wall of text and bore everyone.

I would love recommendations for how many texture sheets and what sizes to use!

Replies

• benc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Morning BB,

Overall design I love, shows you have put in a decent amount of though into the function which always helps sell an idea.

Afraid I'm in the "too high" boat polycount wise, but then I am used to working to racing game budgets and not FPS games!

One area you should be able to save a few is the light sticking out at the top. From your sense of scale the player wont be able to get right up close and I bet its got as many polys in as the large blocks top section it attaches to?

If you do want to keep the budget you have, you could always create a LOD of the model, this would show you have an understanding of optimization when sticking it in your portfolio.

For textures, have you thought about deciding on a texel density first, then working out what parts will be using the same textures and building up your texture sheet like that? So if you wanted to use 512 per meter, work out how many unique meters you need to cover your model and go from there?

Hope that makes sense, still early here and in need of more coffee!

Ben
  • BelgianBoolean
    Thanks a ton Ben!

I agree with you about the light fixture. I took a second look and realized how atrociously high it is.

Some folks have recommended getting rid of the paneling geo and other's think it should stay. I want to keep it due to how close it will be seen, and it helps give the blocks a bit of depth in my opinion.

The LOD idea is great. I'll add that to the checklist.

To be honest, I'm a little unfamiliar with texel density, so let me do some reading/research and I'll get back to you :)

Thanks again for the feedback mate! Much appreciated
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    It looks pretty interesting as an asset! tons going on, but I would be careful with the polycount! the fact that one of those side elements is already 6k tris... I cant see this being any less than 20k - 25k tris in the end! I am sure it will look nice either way tho :)
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, been following this on twitter. Good stuff! I loved seeing the process and the iterations it went through.

I love the duplo feel to it and the balance of being playful/realistic. However, and this is just my brain, but the first thing I think of what I see this is "portable." And then I think, huh, a portable bus stop, that's kind of interesting. Why would a bus stop need to be portable? And then I look around for clues, and I see that those rounded edges are just rounded edges, and not hinges of some sort so that it folds out. The solar panel and dish definitely contribute to this idea. I half expect to see a quick cartoonish animation next, showing how the telephone, satellite dish, solar panel, and cargo pieces all fold up in to itself.

I think you've thought about it's function in an of itself really well, but now you've created such a strong piece that it's functionality will begin to speak about it's purpose in the environment, not just of itself in a solo piece. What I said above is what I see your piece naturally speaking to.

Again, just how my brain saw it.

PS: I'm not a fan of the first render. The black background and gray and what not. Okay for previews, I guess, but don't use it for pimping.

PSS: Welcome back to Polycount, lol. What happened?
  • m1neh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey BelgianBoolean, awesome stuff! Love the second screenshot, and the bake looks perfect. Would deffo agree that it's way to high poly!! Could do a really nice res of that side in 2k tris or less I would imagine. The paneling is unnecessary, if you really want it to pop height wise, use a height map with bump offset!
  • BelgianBoolean
    Hey guys, I optimized down a bit more and I'm sitting at 10,900 tris for the primary frame

scifibusstop28.jpg

Razorb: Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely on the higher end. Hoping this new optimized version is a bit more acceptable.

Stradigos: You're spot on with portable idea! My main thought process behind that was that having modular blocks would allow for easy transport and construction. I also toyed with the idea that the blocks could be used for other structures by whoever built the bus stop. Either way, glad ya dig!

You're the first one not to like that render! haha. My vray scene wasn't doing a good job showing off some of the subtle sculpting, so I wanted to try something a bit different. As far as polycount, I accidentally got banned for spam by the mods. Got sorted this morning :D

m1neh: Thanks mate! Love the work you guys have been doing, and polygoblin's weapon is ace.
    I cut down the tricount a bit more. But I don't have an issue with it being on the high end, as it's the only structure in the scene. That said, I'm trying to avoid sloppiness. Still going back and forth on the paneling.

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
  • mdeforge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mdeforge polycounter lvl 14
    Lol! Well good then! I'm glad you had that in mind. I guess that's the best test ever, right? Designing something, and then having someone come along without knowing what you designed it for and getting it right, right? :D

Maybe I'm wrong, but maybe you can reduce the polycount on the corners by making that nob floating geo. It may already be, I can't really tell all that well.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey dude! The high poly turned out awesome!

The low poly has so many tris though!
    If I was doing it then this is what my low poly would look like, well a part of it anyway :P I don't think you need to add in those panels on he side at all. It is just a suggestion though but I think that would be fine! But its all up to you and what you are aiming for :)

side_zpsc78e49ef.jpg
  • BelgianBoolean
    Stradigos: Makes me pretty damn happy that you picked up on the design stuff! I was hoping to would communicate well

Saferdan: How many tris is that block? Would love to compare! I got enough feedback about nixing those side panels, so the frame is down to 7k tris. Big improvement! :D
  • BelgianBoolean
    Stradigos: Makes me pretty damn happy that you picked up on the design stuff! I was hoping to would communicate well

Saferdan: How many tris is that block? Would love to compare! I got enough feedback about nixing those side panels, so the frame is down to 7k tris. Big improvement! :D
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Oh god I am sorry I was meant to say! And I actually can't remember now ¬_¬ I think it was like 450? something like that!
  • BelgianBoolean
    I have never had this much fun with a project and thanks again guys for all the feedback!

Took everyone's advice and cut it down again. I need to let the normal map do more work and rely on the geo less!

Down to 5k tris from 7k

scifibusstop29.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    cornersides.png
    These two corners are the exact same shape - so why do they have different meshes and polygon densities? Also, I'd suggest using something more like a geosphere instead of a regular sphere (with longitude and lattitude loops). Like this cube but probably with 4 loops instead of 3.
  • BelgianBoolean
    It's my bad :) I'f forgotten to duplicate and merge a few parts. Good catch!
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    This is looking really awesome so far, I really enjoy the mix of different shapes. Looking forward to seeing this finished!

I however have a suggestion about your low-poly; in the highlighted area I think you should connect your edges "straight" instead of having them merged to the center, in order to avoid long thin triangles. And you might want to consider reducing the number of loops in some of your less important bevels. Also, about the design itself, in the high-poly, I think you should skip the cushions and make it more comfortable for more than two people to sit on.

01.jpg

Other than that it's looking super, keep up the good work!
  • BelgianBoolean
    Thanks mikhga! Much appreciated :) As far as connecting those edges, does it matter whether they're connected across or forming triangles? The only thing I could think of was that it might circumvent some normal baking issues. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing.

As far as the cushions, I'm going back and forth. You're definitely right about the function issues, but it also serves to break things up a bit visually and I like the balance. I'll keep thinking on it :)

Since Christmas is over, I'm working on the low poly again; and thus far, it's sitting at a little bit under 7k tris.

scifibusstop30.jpg
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Looking good, mate! I can see you're spending most of your budget on those rounded bits too. Keep on going, noting to add :D
    ...does it matter whether they're connected across or forming triangles?[/IMG]

It doesn't matter, really. Whichever has a lower tri count. As long as you stay away from long and skinny triangles. Those will give you shading errors down the line (think you're good here).
  • BelgianBoolean
    Cheers mate! Last time I baked, I had no issues with the triangles; but I think it's because of they're on a planar surface. I'll be sure to avoid them outside of that :)
  • BelgianBoolean
    I'm on day three of really bad food poisoning, so I've been in bed working on this.

I baked out the vending machine on a 1k texture sheet with the low poly sitting at 2k tris.

scifibusstop31.jpg

I also unwrapped the biggest chunk of the bus stop and baked it out on a 2k map. Hoping to put the second chunk on a 1k. It's sitting at 6,249 tris

scifibusstop32.jpg
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    This is looking good. Nice clean bake. Only thing is that you should overlay UV's more to minimise texture space. So parts of the bus stop that will look the same should share UV space. Unless you plan to make them look very different in the diffuse. Keep it up though, coming along well.
  • BelgianBoolean
    Thanks Pookhan! I thought about stacking more uv shells, but since it's going to be a rather minimal scene with the stop as a focal point, I wanted to use some extra texture space to differentiate the parts a bit. That said, the two main side blocks and screen are stacked on the other side.
  • BelgianBoolean
    Finished baking out the rest of the bus stop and put together a quick sign prop. Right now, the bus stop is 2 2k sheets and the vending machine is a 1k. Hoping to eventually cut down the second stop texture to a 1k.

Can't wait to start texturing this sucker!

scifibusstop34.jpg
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Looking awesome! Any ideas for colors yet? Are those cracked areas going to be glass? Are you basing those cracks on some photo reference?
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Oh man this is going to be soooo good! I havent seen you texture anything before so this will definitely be a treat!
  • BelgianBoolean
    Shanthosa: Thanks! I know that I wanted the color scheme to be a bit bright to support the playful aesthetic a bit. This was an early color block out.

scifibusstop4.jpg

The colors are taken from some really cool Brazilian street art that I've been studying for World Cup designs at work. http://bostondog.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dsc_9996.jpg I think I'll end up using them a bit more sparingly. My goal tonight is to look at my mood boards and do a few color blockouts till my gut says it looks right. I'll be sure to share!

Wester: Thanks man :D I haven't textured for a couple months, so I'm excited to get back into that. Your scene has been looking insanely good by the way!
  • BelgianBoolean
    Here's the final color direction I'm going in. Just trying to block it all out before the real texturing starts :)

scifibusstop35.jpg
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    :( hmmm i was so excited for this piece...i can't say I agree with the color scheme but I'll let you work your magic and wait for the final product. :D
  • alexdubbeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    BelgianBoolean, looks trippy man! :D but i have to agree with PW about colors.
  • BelgianBoolean
    Thanks for the crits guys. I've got a few reasons for the direction. One is that I'm really tired of drab scifi and doing something with a bit more kick sounded fun. The second was I wanted to use this analogous color scheme and with do a more reddish desert environment around to give it a bit more contrast. I'm kinda set on this, but I'll sit and think about it for a bit. Sorry you to spoil your guys' excitement! Haha
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Nice bake! Looking tight, keep it coming.

For the color scheme, I think it could work well. Just keep a constant close eye on your saturation and brightness levels of the colors. Eager to see what's next!
  • BelgianBoolean
    Thanks Ben :) I think you're totally right about the saturation and brightness. Once I get into texturing and grunging it up, I'll start honing in on that a lot.
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    That sure is some playful colours! I like, just make sure you get in quite a lot of desaturated grunge, so you don't go overboard with the playfulness. Also, I would really like to see rather large areas where the paint has been scraped off to reveal some bare metal or something, especially close to the ground. I also think you should make the lamps white like in the colour blockout, since that really helped to break up the bright colours.

This has so much potential and good work on the clean bake! Looking forward to seeing more texturing!
  • BelgianBoolean
    Thanks mikhga! You're crit is spot, and there are a lot of those things I need to implement tonight. I put them on my checklist!

Here's an early texture for one section of the stop. Right now, the peeling paint is too haphazard; and it needs to have more wear and tear at the bottom and less on top. I also have yet to add my grunge, dust, and sand layers. Spec is super WIP.

scifibusstop39.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    love the design! and the colour you choose is really eye catching! keep it up! totally following this!
  • MonkeyMHz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sculpt was pretty cool and the details seemed to bake down really well. However, I'm not a fan of the colour scheme. Feels similar to the types of colors you see on kids toys.

51JP03-YSwL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

But it definitely is eye catching. I look forward to seeing your progress.
  • BelgianBoolean
    Thanks guys! I'm set on the color scheme at this point. I can see why some folks wouldn't like it, but I really want to do some sci-fi that's not drab. And I feel like having that analogous color scheme helps it feel a bit more cohesive and having a reddish desert will contrast well with the green tone. We'll see! Excited to try something different.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    i was a bit skeptical of the color scheme at first, but this is looking awesome. Reminds me of jet set radio
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    It's kind of weird to me that the color is so bright and vibrant yet the paint job looks so damaged. I'd assume we'd see a lot more discoloration, dirt, and a more faded color if this thing has been around long enough to accumulate all that damage. I know you said you're still working on adding dust and grunge and stuff, I would just take a step back and rethink some things. If you're going to go this route, I'd tone down the colors substantially, otherwise I would try to make the piece look relatively clean and new to fit the vibrant colors.
  • BelgianBoolean
    MikeF: You're the third person to make the Jet Set comparison! Haha. I never noticed until someone told me.

Shiniku: You're totally right about the discoloration. Just haven't added those adjustment layers yet. A few areas will remain bright but the saturation will get a lot more patchy and along with grunge layers and such. :)
  • _DeadPixel_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking cool! One thing that stands out to me is how the wear and tear is so even through the whole model, I think it'd look more appealing if it was heavier and lighter in some areas.
    For example the top would be more exposed to weathering, where as the bottom more exposed to damage from vandals etc.
    Mix it up! :thumbup:
  • mospheric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mospheric polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with _DeadPixel_. Wear is a little too even. The interior of the bus stop should have less wear than the exterior, yet would probably have more pen writing or graffiti from those bored and waiting for their ride.

Shiniku makes a great point about the discoloration. Start fading out a bit of the intensity to add to the wear and age, especially those elements that are exposed to the sun more(exterior). The cracks and crevices should keep the current saturation due to less exposure to both weather and human elements.
  • BelgianBoolean
    Thanks for taking the time to crit guys! Someone on twitter pointed out the uniformity of the wear and tear, so that's being fixed. Like I said earlier, I haven't gotten to the discoloration and fading yet; but it'll happen soon! Same with the graffiti. It'll be a finishing touch.

Right now, I need to start cranking on the second texture sheet and make sure the look jives, and I'll start adding these bits. :)
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    This is turning out so fucking hot. Now I want to see the rest of the city that it's a part of. Can't wait to see more!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I love the bulkiness of it. Reminds me the retro sci-fi style from Blade Runner. Great stuff so far, cant wait to see the texture.

As for the color theme, well, i see where your going with it, trying to be diferent and all but I agree with the crit that it looks like a toy with that color scheme. Those are not colors that belong on coated metals, sci-fi worlds, etc. Not that there are written rules on what needs to be that way, it just doesnt feel right.

Remenber Kuller is your friend, you can still keep the vibrant/colorful look with other colors. https://kuler.adobe.com/
  • alexdubbeat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexdubbeat polycounter lvl 8
    well, now it looks interesting. :D
  • Perlinfalcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perlinfalcon polycounter lvl 5
    I actually really like the direction this is headed. It reminds me a lot of old buses and buildings I've seen while traveling in Central America. You'll see these things that are painted some pretty crazy bright colors that have then been worn down by the harsh climate. Something you could think about is that perhaps this bus station has been repainted many times over the years, with some of the older colors showing through where layers have been chipped away. That's one of the things i find most beautiful about these old brightly colored things in rough environments. Also, I don't know if rust comes into effect in a desert environment, but some nice warm colored rust would really look nice against those colors.
  • BelgianBoolean
    Shanthosa: Thanks a ton! I wish I had the time to do a city around it :D

HP: First off, I love your work man! I definitely understand the color not jiving with some people. I realized when I chose it that it would get a lot of mixed feedback. Love or hate. At this point, I'm going to keep going; though all the paint layers are separate, so it'll be easy to change down the road if need be. I did use Kuler though. I chose an analogous color scheme, with green being the main color, blue as supporting, and yellow as a highlight.

Alex: Thanks mate!

Perlinfalcon: I added some reddish rust/grime to help get those warm colors in. Thanks for the tip! As for the Central America comments, my inspiration came from a little further south. Haha. At Adidas, I'm working on a lot of concepts for the next World Cup in Brazil; so we've had employees taking trips down there and bringing back inspiration. Graffiti has been a big reference. These pieces are a great example:

wiggs__mural_2G.jpg

Os-Gemeos-7-2-08.jpg

Here's quick update. The spec is still wip and I haven't painted out seams yet. I need to add some graffiti and define the rest of the materials, start the next texture sheet, etc. I added some grime, damaged the bottom a bit more and cleaned up the top. Also added a sand/rust pass.

scifibusstop40.jpg
  • Amatobahn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amatobahn polycounter lvl 7
    I'm liking where this is going. Totally holds a JSRF feel.
  • Perlinfalcon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Perlinfalcon polycounter lvl 5
  • mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    The textures are looking super already, I must admit that I was a bit sceptical in the beginning about the colour scheme, but you have really managed to pull it off so far! Not much to comment on right since it's still in such a WIP state, however, one thing you could do is make the paint on the roof a bit more faded and cracked from exposure to the sun.