Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oxford College - Great Hall

Replies

• romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    Love it Bugo, but yes i would say light shafts are maybe a bit too strong. Out of that, excellent work, keep going !
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Try having the light rays comming in on the side of the window instead of the front. Might give it a more interesting look.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    fair enough, does on the side look better? I'm unsure, for me both are good.

college_hall26.jpg
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walkonsky polycounter lvl 11
    very nice scene! i don't really like the light shafts however: you normally see them when you are in a room that is much darker than the outside or a single light source that shines into the room. (for examples just google for "light shaft"...)
    in this case however, it seems to be night outside and you have a room that is brightly illuminated. i don't really get why you would add light shafts here...
    however, if you would also make a version with no artificial illumination inside the room while still at night time, the light shafts would look great and give a great atmosphere.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Right, the intensity of lights in the room might be too much to get the effect of the light shafts, perhaps instead of decreasing the shafts I should decrease the intensity of the interior lighting?
  • serriffe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    serriffe polycounter lvl 9
    looking good man, I like the light color choices you made-
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, i wouldn't increase the light intensity overall. but, on some of your earlier shots, the middle of this hall seemed to be a little dark. understandable, as there are no actual light sources. add them! some candles on the tables, or some lamps hanging from the ceiling.
    you could use them as a way to tell some kind of story with this scene. i just had to image how that room would look right after a great feast: smoky air, chaoticly placed dishes and cutlery on the tables, some forgotten pieces of clothing, or: later at night: all things are put away, somebody forgot to switch of a single lamp, light shafts (!) from the windows; or something different: the hall is used to study and is deserted in the evening/at night, but some books are scattered, parchment or notebooks left behind.
    all those might need different ways of lighting...
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Was thinking something like this.

wreck-it-ralph-0-00-34-14.jpg
  • toolpaddz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toolpaddz polycounter lvl 10
    also don't like the light shafts at all. Apart from that, nice work!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    lol, some do, some dont... what now? :P
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    walkonsky wrote: »
    no, i wouldn't increase the light intensity overall. but, on some of your earlier shots, the middle of this hall seemed to be a little dark. understandable, as there are no actual light sources. add them! some candles on the tables, or some lamps hanging from the ceiling.
    you could use them as a way to tell some kind of story with this scene. i just had to image how that room would look right after a great feast: smoky air, chaoticly placed dishes and cutlery on the tables, some forgotten pieces of clothing, or: later at night: all things are put away, somebody forgot to switch of a single lamp, light shafts (!) from the windows; or something different: the hall is used to study and is deserted in the evening/at night, but some books are scattered, parchment or notebooks left behind.
    all those might need different ways of lighting...

Yeah, I thought about doing a dinner hall, so I will have dinner lamps, plates, etc around the tables. Thanks for the feedback.
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
    mmmmmMMMMmmm reminds me of harry potter :D
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    update, finished the ceiling wood material.

college_hall27.jpg
    college_hall28.jpg
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mh, that wood seems very red to me, which i think does not go very well with the rest of the scene...
    im not sure, if thats your lighting, though. in your second image, the beam on the right does not have that strong red hue and looks very good in fact.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I forgot to bring the diffuseBoost of the wood material as I was using an instance material from the bottom wood. Thanks for pointing that out!

college_hall29.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    coworker gave me a cool feedback, I recreated the lighting in the scene, made it look more warm and not so unsaturated like it was before (dramatic), I also finished the 3rd window on the corner and the balconyon the back. I might have to play a bit more with the post, looks too yellowish.

college_hall32.jpg
    college_hall33.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    update, started on the candelabrum, not done yet, but wip, at least some zbrush fun.
    college_hall35.jpg
  • Goten-trunk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goten-trunk polycounter lvl 12
    nice work man and the dragon face is amazing,
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    high sculpt done

college_hall36.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Keep GOING! btw I dunno if you want to try this but that dark wood you have going around the area. I think with that type of varnish it would have a slight reflection map on it. very subtle. anyways can't wait to see more. Rock on!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you sir! Will think about that later on, I think if I add I might have to mask it in some places just so it doesnt do it over all.

Here's the candelabrum in the scene (candles fire is fake, still gotta learn how to create particles in UDK, anyone has a good tutorial for that? Ahhhh, I miss easy unity3d sometimes)

college_hall37.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    textures and wires.

college_hall38.jpg
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    very nice, great design! although, i liked the green-ish dark patina in the matcap, which isn't really present in your material.
    and: the candelabrum looks quite huge in your screenshot...
    what size are your maps?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    loving this so far, what are you going to do for the table tops? polished reflective wood surface?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    walkonsky- I think the lighting is taking that green-ish dark patina out. I'll see what I can do on my maps to bring that back. Thanks for the feedback.

ged- thx! I will be putting a shinny polished reflective wood surface plus a table runner cloth.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Maybe something with some more contrast to the rest of the scene like a emerald green?

Really impressed by the way, I'm really loving watching the progress of this scene.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Norron! Fair enough, bringing one more color to the table, green, would like to hear more people's opinions...

(JUST PLEASE don't ask me yellow or pink :P )

college_hall39d.jpg
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought of more or less exactly this green the second you talked about table runners... maybe even a little darker and less yellow. at the moment, the blue one looks very wow-ish (i have never played wow, but it is what i think of when i see your images ;) )

i would really like to see the pattern on that runner close from a more direct angle... looks nice.

now the only thing your room needs is a little more story and it is going to be a superb piece!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the blue and gold looks right to me, dont know if its because it feels more like real life royalty, also the blue is a nice contrast to all the warm orangy colours in the scene where the red and green just add to the warmness. this is probably rather subjective, sorry. Nice start on the tables they could use a little more reflection to make it seem like a more opulent scene? something closer to this? polished_table.JPG
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    yeah I much prefer the blue!
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Blue it will be then.

Ged, I'm not sure I wanted to bring this into a more royalty based scenario, this is a College Hall were college and community have dinners etc at the place. Since it's a college place, these tables are old and very used, maybe even 50 years old solid wood tables ;)

Walksonsky, Yeah, I agree with you about story wise. As I said here before, I'm aiming into a college style environment, there will be pictures of old teachers on the wall, plates on the tables, flags with their logo comming from the wall, shields still to be done. If there's anything else you think it would be cool to add, I would love to hear.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    bugo wrote: »
    Blue it will be then.

Ged, I'm not sure I wanted to bring this into a more royalty based scenario, this is a College Hall were college and community have dinners etc at the place. Since it's a college place.

ah I see so it is still a college in your scene just with beautiful candelabras ok. Well you could still have a similar shine to the tables using an environmentmap/cubemap for the refelctiveness and just have them more worn away with a specular/mask map :)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah. I do have a cubemap. But I think the camera. is not showing it. I'll increase the effect a bit and decrease the fresnel.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Here's a bit better reflection on the table, plus the candle fires with custom lensflare.

college_hall40.jpg
    college_hall41.jpg
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Silver candelabras and embroidery may be a better compliment to the blue cloth if you're wanting to avoid a royal look? Gold and blue does tend to suggest royalty.

Might be nice to take a look at some old school crests:
    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jjazvac3/pic299.jpg
    and maybe base the colour palette off one of your own creation? Not sure if you've got any plans to do something like that.

Or you could always just make them yellow, or pink....
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    You are so damn right, thanks for the feedback and the ref. Here's the update:
    As for the yellow or pink: YOU.....!!! :shifty:
    college_hall42.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Here are the flags and pictures blockout, usually I set these things on my mind, but it helps putting in there, specially to compose things together while texturing:

I'm also missing something on the ground. But I'm unsure what to do there... any thoughts?

college_hall43.jpg
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the scene looks very busy on top and quite empty on the floor and table level. maybe use only one flag every two windows and add some pictures or old certificates in frames to the lower walls. i think you need to find a purpose for the large empty space in front. maybe a large table that can be used to place large dishes and plates on for a buffet? or an old school lectern on a pedestal?
    i would also scatter some generic items on the benches or even the floor: what about a cane leaned on the wall and forgotten. or an academic robe draped over a bench.
    (Or a magic wand? ;) )
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I think your floor texture is Tiling too much and is a bit too green/black, it should be closer to the table wood colour just more scuffed up. here are some examples http://www.victorianweb.org/art/architecture/oxford/brasenose/3.jpg
    http://faculty.irsc.edu/faculty/jlett/Jesus%20College%20Dining%20Hall.JPG

the tables are quite nice in that top down shot! maybe you need a better cubemap/reflection because the shine doesnt really seem to represent the environment like in that second link Ive just posted where there is a bright shine coming from the window across the tables.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Some great thoughts here. I loved the idea of robes around. Maybe I can also do a cloth hanger, not sure whats the name.

GED, thx for the ref, I'll revisit the floor and tables. The green tho is from the post processing, which im still unsure where to go with it heh. I'm getting some great ref on post processing from Hitman Absolution.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Today I took the day to explore Image Based Reflection on the newest UDK plus I got to know how to distort the candle lights, which you will only be able to see in a video.

IBR is applied to tables, ground, wood surfaces. You can notice on the floor and tables where the light meets vertically the surface. Pretty cool effect, and pretty simple to apply.

I am also planning on changing the floor, not entirely, but adding tiled floor like a palace floor, I don't believe that it would take off the idea of being a hall at all and it would add so much more to the whole environment.

Main changes:

- Candles fire distortion animation
    - Floor and Tables revisited
    - IBR applied
    - some lighting changes.

Thanks for watching

college_hall45.jpg
    college_hall46.jpg
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    flags are now done:

college_hall47.jpg
    college_hall48.jpg
  • StormHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StormHertz polycounter lvl 8
    I'm no expert on colleges and universities in England, but wouldn't that flag design be slightly incorrect?

It's hard to say as there aren't usually any flags in there, so it's really up to your imagination, and they actually look nice as is.

But if I'm right, and this is the Great Hall located in the Balliol College, Oxford, wouldn't this be the proper coat of arms (The actual one that the college uses):
    Balliol_College_Oxford_Coat_Of_Arms.svg
    I like your current flags though, as they are longer than the coat of arms I just posted. I suppose you could just extend the original in photoshop or something to match your current flag length.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    holy crap those tables and the floor wood looks great now! Agree that a more stylish floor would look so much cooler though! Ive never tried IBR as I dont have a video card that supports it, nice work! I like the flags but the white of the flag is getting lost in the environment in the wide shot of the whole scene. Also you have some odd blue specular shines on one section of the roof, what is creating those?
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Dat floor! It looks great bugo, one thing though, the horizontal straps on the flags would likely cause some form of pinching in the cloth especially because they wouldn't be taught. Just having the vertical straps would make more sense.

But man, it looks great.
  • walkonsky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you're still missing a door! ;)

like the floor better already with the changed reflections.
    the flags however look a little strange: they look as if the lion was printed on. it somehow reminded me of these lego flags. like these: http://www.lapetitebrique.com/1645-4079-thickbox/lego-capemadness-red-flag-with-rampant-lion.jpg
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LEGO-PIRATE-CLOTH-SAIL-24x25-Flag-Jolly-Roger-Skull-Crossbone-6286-Eye-Schooner-/00/s/MTU0MlgxNjAw/$%28KGrHqRHJD!E9!ZW0LRUBPUEoIlkk!~~60_35.JPG
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LEGO-PIRATES-flag-2525px1-drapeau-Sets-6271-6263-6277-/00/$%28KGrHqQOKj!E3uE2d,ljBODVU5upDg~~_35.JPG

maybe add a little texture to the colours to show a little more structure of the underlying fabric? Or loose the black outline?
  • Gotshoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotshoes polycounter lvl 9
    Sorry bring up an old question/debate. But why not have more than one color for the table runners, as if they are sectioned for different groups of students: senior, under-grad, freshmen and what not. Same with the flags/banners over head, possibly different seals for different curricula or something...

Overall it's looking FANTASTIC! I can't wait to see it finished!