Home Technical Talk

Texturing issue

Thunderent
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Thunderent polycounter lvl 10
Hi!

I hope the name of the thread is appropiate,but for now I want to begin with my question...

I'm using 3ds Max and I have a question about texturing something + UV Unwrapping it.

Here is a test picture of a house,made for demonstration purposes:

testoh.jpg

I want 2 textures on this house,for the first texture I want to add a tiling texture to the stone parts and for the second I want the rest of it UV-Unwrapped,but I have no idea how I can accomplish this

Could anyone show me how do it,or point me a tutorial?

Thanks in advance,
Thunderent

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Well It takes a lot of reading but here goes:

http://wiki.polycount.com/

^everything you could ever want to know, right their and if you run into problems use the search bar, if you can't find what your looking for then you post a thread.

Edit:
    You could make 1 texture map for that but I guess the engine your working with needs 2 maps?

uv-unwrapping

Same as above different source go to part 1 though.

Texturing, photoshop and 3dsmax

2 minutes on google.

From your other thread someone posted useful info.
    tile textures
  • Thunderent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thunderent polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you for the links $!nz :D

But I think I've explained my problem wrong as English isn't my native language,so I've made another picture which(hopefully) will do a better explaining.
    explaining.jpg

I have this wood cabin model and I want to use 3 textures for it.
    1 tiling texture for the wood
    1 tiling texture for the roof
    1 texture which contains the remaning non-tiling parts UVV Unwrapped(the windows,the door,the chimney,etc).
    This in total of 3 materials..

I've only done texturing with multi-tiling texture or one texture,but never combined them...
    Should I use different UV channels,Multi-Material.

Thanks in advance again,
    Thunderent
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    explainingbetter.jpg

3 texture maps?

or 1 texture map with 3 different textures?

3 texture maps you need 3 different UV channels, 1 for each area, so 1 for roof, one for wood, one for windows.

1 texture map you need 1 uv Channel, unwrap separately then select them all and fit them into that UV space and you have one texture uv map.

Materials:
    Yea use a multi-material if you have 3 separate maps, and 1 material if you have one texture map.