Home Technical Talk

How long does it take you to complete your art?

Hey guys, I'm sort of looking for some sort of a benchmark for how long it should take to do certain things.

For example, a blockout, I've spent like 2 days on and off working on one for an environment I want to do (I have school to worry about too), and it just dawned on me that I should be way quicker.

My goal is to become as efficient as possible, so you know when I get a job I'm actually working to my full potential! I want to be a poly pushing machine.

So for all of you full-time artists out there, how long does it take you to stuff like blocking out a scene, modeling a simple prop, texturing something etc? I know it can differ, but I'm just curious. I want to speed things up!

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    that depends on the timeframe you have in production and the quality you have to achieve... it could take 2 days or 2 month...

if you show us some reference material of what you try to do it would be easier to give a timeframe...
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    As many people will say, you get faster with more experience. As you try new work flows, fail at them, re-arrage them. Each new year, new engine, new software brings changes to a pipeline and speed can either go up and down because of it.

So to find out how long it would take YOU to make something. Make some stuff and time it. Push things through the pipe a few dozen times and you should be able to figure out a rough estimate.

I'm sorry to say but much like everything, to get good and get fast you need repition :)

Okay so all that aside; I just did a blockout for a mini enviro, took me 2-3 hours or so. I just did it in Zbrush with zspheres and boxes (its a very organic enviro)

Remember though, its not your speed that counts, that will come in time, what matters is your final output. No one is going to be impressed by a average model done in a day. But everyone is impressed by quality and work that has love put into it. ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Make sure you focus on quality first then worry about speed.

"Yea it looks like crap, but I did it really fast!" :poly114::poly114::poly144:

Focus on quality, speed will come by doing quality work over and over again.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Week to 2 weeks or more depending on circumstances, at about 4-7 hours a day. I should update my work flow.

& What mark says.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I've worked places where i was expected to knock out 3 rigged characters a week. where i am now the character guys are doing one a month.

I've known stop motion animators on kids tv put 14 seconds a day out - on a film you could spent a week on 3 seconds of character animation

budget is basically the deciding factor