Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Concept art practice sketchpad.

Replies

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melviso polycounter lvl 10
    @Broadway Thank u very much for the textures link.I have a sketchbook I am presently using to sketch from books/magazines.I think I am gonna research any subject matter I want to paint rather than painting what I think it should look like.Thanks again,man.
    @fightpunch.Thanks for the pointers.I am gonna keep practicing.Gradually,I am hoping to improve.

Did this today-
    Crossvalley.png
    Did these for a comic winterfest competition using three words-fool,facade and clockwork.-
    page1-2.pngpage2-1.png
    Happy holidays!!
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will be doing most of my work in cell shaded and cinematic shot style with camera depth of field,focus.Since I have an animation background,I have to practice in that style.Will be doing concepts based on a title I came up with called BERMUDA where a journalist travels to a city where people living there disappeared a year ago and everyone who travelled there to investigate or look for loved ones were never heard from again.

Unlike most games,movies that have abandoned cities either devoid of greenery,destroyed buildings,vehicles,or everything overtaken by weeds,overgrown trees,dust,rust,animals.The exact opposite happens here.The city on the journalist's arrival is spotless,not a weed in sight,everywhere is clean and proper,and that is impossible if it has been deserted for over a year.So where did everyone go?

Maybe it would get picked up for a game,animated series or movie.

I will try to make out time to post some art soon.It will be cell shaded,and cinematic styled.With this,I get to practice and pitch an idea.
    Thanks for all the feedback,guys.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been very busy.Doing research for my concept title BERMUDA during spare time.Decided to do paintovers on my old works I posted here for practice-

Paintover-
    xdda0a_zpse102f4d9.png
    Old-
    xdda0.png

Paintover-
    ee24da_zps26c034ae.png

Old-
    ee24d.png
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New stuff on Bermuda-
    bermuda3_zps1b21e4f2.png

bermuda2_zpsa449a434.png

bermuda1_zpsf35ce527.png

bermu1_zpseaffe69f.gif

This was how I originally made the presentation-
    http://melviso.deviantart.com/#/d5omzh6

but it appears photobucket and imgur don't upload gifs of 6mb or above.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaaah...did this today and I hate the outcome.It looks very flat and crappy.Need to spend more time on my work till it gets to an acceptable level of finish.Even the textures I slapped on couldn't save it.Will paintover it,till it looks better.No new painting till this one gets to a good destination.

xdda0_zpsfb1b0e21.png
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    Like I've said before you need to work in black and white, its your values that are all over the place, forget about colour until you are comfortable with values, they are the foundation of painting.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to improve on it..still WIP-

Hollow's Weep-
    xdda0_zps11500de1.png

Still WIP-

Zyu's priestess-
    217fd_zps2b8107c8.png

@fightpunch
    I am just reading ur comment now.I usually have a saturation layer filled with black to check values but you are right.I just watched the latest video by feng zhu-
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rI6q6bv7do&list=FLPUnC7Eqb7wMhEU26Vz9VJg&index=1"]Episode 59 - Before and After - YouTube[/ame]

Turns out I have been using the first method and truthfully my progress has been very slow.I have to admit drawing basic shapes with,lighting,shadow,perspective composition is kinda boring...actually very boring.But if doing these will help me improve.I SHALLT DOETH IT.

Kudos to everyone telling me this from the beginning.
    It's like fengzhu saw my thread and made that video to let me understand I am going about this using the long and tedious route.

Next posts shall be basic shapes,in black and white.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Core fundamentals practice-
    aq122_zps15eaf9d8.png

saaww_zps1701f1e1.png

gddr_zps65f893b1.png
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    the last series is rather bad. Squares tend to not have gradients on them, except a bit of AO at the bottom edges that touch the ground.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snader Thanks for letting me know.Didn't know that.

Value painting-
    saaww_zpsbbf053b2.png

and hohoho..Merry Christmas and a happy new year.Why do I feel that pretty soon,we might see an uprising of chickens with armour,weapons and lethal martial arts skills against humans due to the fact they get consumed doing this period like crazy?That would make one crazy funny idea for a movie.Anyways,Merry Christmas,every one.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Value paintings-
    landing_zpse2310cb2.png

head_zps5f8b46ef.png
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still trying to get my values down-

Sky sailors-
    shipe_zps99b539ee.png

Mystery Meeting-
    fdddf_zpsb8bd09e5.png

Desert encoach-
    walo_zps65430877.png

Robot raiders-
    reess_zpsbcc32ae0.png
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I would really recommend taking several steps back. It seems all too common for folks to want to jump in to painting the super epic, complex ideas in their heads before they're ready to tackle them. At the moment you're painting big ideas, complex scenes with a large amount of strokes. Each one of them as a result winds up looking all over the place from just about any way you look at it (brushwork, values, composition, etc). Many of your paintings look like they've got a horizontal motion blur on them. Long story short, I really wouldn't recommend painting robots ravaging a city at the moment.

Simplify. Start small with your ideas. For value studies - take a look at this post from Nick Shardlow's sketchbook, relatively recent. Large shapes, nothing detailed or complex. How often do you see actual (or even really close to) black or white? There's a lot being told, great readability, despite them being relatively simple depictions. (Now keep in mind again, the complexity of the idea - NS's post there has great stuff, but I'd start smaller still with your ideas).

Try to use large shapes - large brushes, simple blockouts for your core values to see if you can get a good read for a simple image. Your persistent practice is good, but smart practice will win over frequent practice every time. The spaceships and large scale environments with characters will come in time.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks...Will try to do simpler scenes from now on.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did these today-

Paint Study
    e2e_zps4870d74c.png
    Seems my repeated value painting is paying off.Without using the color picker,I know exactly what value to pick and paint.Used a screenshot from one of heavenly sword cutscenes as reference to paint values.

34rr_zpsa57d75e4.png
    Tried to block in basic shapes.I did use some references to get an idea of environments and atmospheres.Was quite surprised to notice some features even though they are far in the distance still have dark values,learnt other things as well.I know this is very far from perfect.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been really busy lately.Did this today using reference from ffvii demo still-

Paint study-
    head.png
    Didn't use the color picker.Guessed which values to paint and I think I came pretty close.
    Still need to fix some things.I converted the reference to black and white before painting.I am wondering if I should paint in black and white while leaving the reference pic in color and try and guess what values are representing what colors and paint them but I am thinking I should get comfortable with painting in black and white first?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Power failure here is really very bad..Could only do this.Also busy,will try and do more studies.

Paint study-
    versus.png
    Painted using a still from ffxiiiversus trailer as reference.Still need to work on getting colors and likeness spot on.But with repeated practice will get there.I used GIMP for this painting.Turns out GIMP is very awesome and I am really digging its brushes and the way it handles colors.Will be using it for future paintings.
  • rouncer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you are way better than me, and im still ok :)
    very enjoyable, love the colour and especially the form.
    Im guessing its all from the imagination?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks rouncer.
    Yep,they are all from imagination except the paint studies.My painting skills at the moment is limiting my concept/ideas so I have been advised to do studies as it will help me understand color,light,perspective,color theory,form and edges better.So,I have been doing them.
    If u are refering to the last art I posted,its not from imagination but a study from a movie still.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are two paintings I did today,completely from my imagination.

kat.png
    This is my own version of how I think Kat should have looked in the game.Decently dressed,polite,humble and always positive despite her troubled past.Here,her clothes look dull and washed out with a hood in order not to attract attention to herself.Her bag contains colored chalk sticks,markers and a sketchpad she uses to draw symbols/signs to guide Dante and lend strength to the efforts of The Order.
    Painted in GIMP.

frt.png
    Painted this from imagination to see how the studies I have been doing are paying off.Quite surprised with the results.Still need to get better.
    Painted with GIMP.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a paintover to correct the lighting,facial features and improve overall composition.
    frta.png
    I think it looks better but still very far from perfect.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update.I am still trying to get better.Painted with gimp.For some reason,I have noticed I work better in gimp than in photoshop.How odd.

practic44e.png
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any feedback or critique?
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest painting practice:
    Adakunew.png

Hopefully getting better.Painted using Gimp.