Home General Discussion

Dirty Bomb

Ark
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Ark polycounter lvl 11
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0p_bQ5jIyNo"]Dirty Bomb Teaser Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

New game from Splash Damage. Can see some Brink influences in there! :D

Replies

• Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    All you have to say is "Wolfenstein: enemy territory"

and I'm, all in!!!
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    pretty excited for this love splash damage games, i was big into brink had so much potential! if brink went free-to-play id jump back in :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    #free-to-play FPS bandwagon.

I believe it's called adapting to the market. The majority of your player base will play your game for free anyway (piracy) so if you can entice them to at least spend a few bucks on a new gun that's better than nothing.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks pretty cool :)
    I'd love to see a single player brink game from SD someday though.. to get more out of that awesome world
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    #free-to-play FPS bandwagon.

bandwagon.jpg

Bandwagons are typically negative things. If they dont turn it into a play to win game, cant see how this is bad.

And the F2P 'bandwagon' is like two years old. ;P
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I don't know, I've had my fill of free-to-play. It might not be 'pay-to-win', but it's still more often than not 'pay-to-actually-progress'. If these games had a reasonable 'pay to get everything' option, I might not be so bothered.

Free to play isn't a good trend. It has to be shoehorned into the game mechanics and design for it to work, and as such harms the original game :/
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    You should look up that interview with Paul Wedgwood on Gamasutra, ambershee. He talks about not exploiting and trying to do the right thing.

Anyway, me, Vahl and a few others spent quite a bit of time on creating this trailer, good to see it out there!
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    I don't know, I've had my fill of free-to-play. It might not be 'pay-to-win', but it's still more often than not 'pay-to-actually-progress'. If these games had a reasonable 'pay to get everything' option, I might not be so bothered.

Free to play isn't a good trend. It has to be shoehorned into the game mechanics and design for it to work, and as such harms the original game :/

extra credits. again.

It IS usually painful and obnoxious, sure, but not always. I'm willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt that they'll do it properly. Hope so.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    rooster wrote: »
    I'd love to see a single player brink game from SD someday though.. to get more out of that awesome world

Ohyesplease.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I LOVED BRINK, and secretly hope this is a mechanical clone that attempts to trick all the people who didn't get brink into loving it.

But if it's something totally original ill dig that too.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    rooster wrote: »
    looks pretty cool :)

Me think so as well. Some serious art talent at Splash Damage though, so can't wait to see more.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12

That...that's a Western market issue, with companies like EA, Riot, Ubernet, etc not an universal issue.

As an example: Nexon adapted one of their most sought games (Vindictus) to the Western market by removing a 'Wait will you collect more Coins to progress X hours later' which the Asian versions had because Western people spend more money in the CS shop.

Other Western companies like Turbine adapted DDO in their own way that is both fair and open in system.

Yet we have Western companies who literally know their market, but insist on putting up petty restrictions in their games. Some of them gimp on your ability to sprint in the game, others rotate Character you can choose and some them outright don't allow you to access them.

As for the game, ETA on more info? I hope there will customizations in the game.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Gah, I loved Brink! I was disappointed by the fact that the single player missions were pretty much multiplayer with bots, but I still had a great time! I waited for weeks for it to release, scooped it up, and then was really perplexed when it didn't do any better. I hope this model works out for you guys!

I LOVED BRINK, and secretly hope this is a mechanical clone that attempts to trick all the people who didn't get brink into loving it.

But if it's something totally original ill dig that too.

Also, this^^ :poly142:
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats on the announcement folks! So far looks great!
    Shows us more now :)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd4Hjoi2FQ0

New trailer! I'm starring as the fat soldier that gets shot a lot and gets his head stuck in the railing at the end lol!

Let me say that the gameplay you see is pretty accurate on how the game really plays. No editing tricks to make it look different.
  • Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    Also Xoliul/Laurens dying over and over is pretty accurate to actual gameplay too :)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Women player characters in an modern military FPS! Ooooh yeah! Good move guys :)
    Guns feel a bit too big on screen and the hands could benefit from a bit of a stronger grip, I think ... but besides that, looks coooool ...
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    didn't you notice they didn't put on the video "from the developers of Brink"

LOL
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    OH yay!!! free to play

cant wait to fight against people who buy all the overpowered stuff!
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    i have a quick question is the beta going on right now? i was about to buy then realized it wasn't even out yet :(
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    We are in private alpha right now, if you buy one of the highest founders packs, you get early alpha access (very soon), otherwise it's private beta (later) or open beta/launch (later-er) if you dont buy in.
  • BANGARANG!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is this enemy territory design applied to another aesthetic, brought to us by Splash Damage?

whats new here?
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    frell : we make a point into not having a pay to win situation, ever, nothing that you wiull be able to buy will unbalance gameplay, and all the gameplay stuff is unlockable for free, always.
    our boss, Paul wedgewood, explains it pretty well here :
    http://www.splashdamage.com/blog/1006/first-ever-dirty-bomb-gameplay-video-released
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    didn't you notice they didn't put on the video "from the developers of Brink"

LOL

Official word is that we only reference W:ET and ET:QW because those are dedicated PC titles.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    vahl wrote: »
    We are in private alpha right now, if you buy one of the highest founders packs, you get early alpha access (very soon), otherwise it's private beta (later) or open beta/launch (later-er) if you dont buy in.

so whats the point of buying the founder things right now? should i just wait then until the beta starts?

I was so pumped when i saw this in the morning cause i wanted to play the game over the weekend then realized its not out.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    f2p doesn't mean pay to win, the bulk of the people I play Planetside 2 with don't spend a dime and they steam roll the enemy.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    ae. point is to get early access and some bonus stuff (design document, art book, soundtrack, some skins, etc) but yeah you can also wait who knows how long to play for free :) tribes went to open beta maybe 6/10 months after alpha started :) the founders pack is more like a kickstarter pledge thing to me, you buy in, get into alpha, can discuss the design and influence it (our current inner circle alpha players are heavily involved in feedback and design changes). so really there's a bit of everything for every one :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    ae. point is to get early access and some bonus stuff (design document, art book, soundtrack, some skins, etc) but yeah you can also wait who knows how long to play for free :) tribes went to open beta maybe 6/10 months after alpha started :) the founders pack is more like a kickstarter pledge thing to me, you buy in, get into alpha, can discuss the design and influence it (our current inner circle alpha players are heavily involved in feedback and design changes). so really there's a bit of everything for every one :)

oh i get that, i would pay the founders pack fee but i still wouldent be able to play right now thats my point.

when planetside 2 was in closed beta i payed to get in i didnt mind i wanted to play the game, what im saying is even if i pay right now i cant download it and play it right away.

I said a million times to jason lavoie if Brink was free-to-play i would be broke and now you have made brink free-to-play so yeah heres all my money :P
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    frell : we make a point into not having a pay to win situation, ever, nothing that you wiull be able to buy will unbalance gameplay, and all the gameplay stuff is unlockable for free, always.
    our boss, Paul wedgewood, explains it pretty well here :
    http://www.splashdamage.com/blog/1006/first-ever-dirty-bomb-gameplay-video-released
    fair game then, will try it out

I just hope by "unlockable for free" you don't mean 100 hours of gameplay vs $5 to unlock it
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    Noticed Dirty Bomb is made using Unreal Engine. This is the first Splash Damage game that doesn't use idTech, if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting. Can anyone comment on the switch? Not trying to stir things up. Splash Damage has always done amazing stuff with idTech and I'm curious why there was a move away from established tools, etc.

Visuals look great! Definitely interested in this game!
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Darn, i was half expecting a discussion about dirty bombs.

Cobalt-60 anyone?
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Can't say I'm very excited by this, looks generic down to the core. =/
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Official word is that we only reference W:ET and ET:QW because those are dedicated PC titles.

Too bad... because Brink is also a PC title and it's not as bad as to keep that name aside. Maybe a marketing strategy not to put "Brink" because it was a failure?
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    honestly I'm intrigued, I was hyped as hell for Brink and liked it, it just kind of died quickly it seems.
    Foot looks good too, only glaring issue I can see is that complete lack of blood splatter decals appearing behind an enemy you shoot.
    I can't fathom why many shooters remove these, they are pretty much essential to figuring out where a choke point or camping area is," this wall is covered in bulletholes and blood, better turn around!"

Other than that, I want!
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    This is nice!I like the gameplay and damage values I hope it will stay like this so I don't have to shoot the whole magazine to (hopefully) kill a guy. :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is this in anyway an FPS spinoff or RAD Soldiers? I can't help but notice the similarities in the logo and general character design. While this obviously more realistic in visuals, the characters seem to have the same wide-with-detail in the hips
    design as well as overall variety.
  • ciara8184
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frell wrote: »
    OH yay!!! free to play

cant wait to fight against people who buy all the overpowered stuff!

LOL, me 2 :)
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Looks super interesting for sure! I got a nice old school vibe from the trailer.

A couple of questions/comments :

- It looks like this game is way more "generic" looking than Brink. Hopefully this is a choice that you guys made without external pressure? (such as "Brink's art style is the reason of why it didn't work you guys have to make something more realistic this time, the public isn't ready for bold Art direction!"). I'm saying this because I fell in love with Brink's character design and environment and thought you guys would embrace that stylization and push it even further for this one :)

- I know that you guys mentioned that this title will be PC-only but from what I've seen in this last trailer, the guns and general feel of the game looks really console oriented. No iron sight shown (beside the scopes?), low FOV, almost no weapon recoil/hit-scan feeling. I probably played to much BF to be objective on that topic and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way Dirty Bomb seems to play, but I'd be curious to hear more about these game design choices!

Looking sharp as usual SD, can't wait to see more :D

-R
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    Nothing I can say can be substantiated without actually playing it, but first impressions amount to essentially a game following the two most prominent bandwagons at the moment, generic military manshoots and f2p. Gameplay did not look to have anything over any of the countless other titles out there.

I am more impressed that Splash Damage is still alive after not having anything sizeably successful since the orginal Enemy Territory, which was free(!). Here we see studios being slashed and shuttered left and right for the tiniest missteps, and SD keeps on ticking - good on you guys for keeping your financials intact!
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Gun play seems really off to me, really impressive visual work, but animations (gun feedback, reloads) seem flat...
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin wrote: »
    honestly I'm intrigued, I was hyped as hell for Brink and liked it, it just kind of died quickly it seems.
    Foot looks good too, only glaring issue I can see is that complete lack of blood splatter decals appearing behind an enemy you shoot.
    I can't fathom why many shooters remove these, they are pretty much essential to figuring out where a choke point or camping area is," this wall is covered in bulletholes and blood, better turn around!"

Simple: age ratings. Blood splatters bump the rating up (to mature/18 ). I have no idea how this works for self-published download only titles, but we're just staying careful I guess.

Is this in anyway an FPS spinoff or RAD Soldiers? I can't help but notice the similarities in the logo and general character design. While this obviously more realistic in visuals, the characters seem to have the same wide-with-detail in the hips
    design as well as overall variety.

Yes it's intentional that there's some cross-over in theme and logo. The character similarities are more a result of strong/good character design I guess.

Looks super interesting for sure! I got a nice old school vibe from the trailer.

A couple of questions/comments :

- It looks like this game is way more "generic" looking than Brink. Hopefully this is a choice that you guys made without external pressure? (such as "Brink's art style is the reason of why it didn't work you guys have to make something more realistic this time, the public isn't ready for bold Art direction!"). I'm saying this because I fell in love with Brink's character design and environment and thought you guys would embrace that stylization and push it even further for this one :)

- I know that you guys mentioned that this title will be PC-only but from what I've seen in this last trailer, the guns and general feel of the game looks really console oriented. No iron sight shown (beside the scopes?), low FOV, almost no weapon recoil/hit-scan feeling. I probably played to much BF to be objective on that topic and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the way Dirty Bomb seems to play, but I'd be curious to hear more about these game design choices!

Looking sharp as usual SD, can't wait to see more :D

-R

• This is a bit tough to answer but it sort of comes down to "broadening the appeal". There is no "external" pressure source though, this is entirely self-directed and funded.
    • You seem a bit confused. The game is definitely pc-focused. There is ironsighting (it's deliberately not shown much in the trailer), but you don't have to use it. FOV is definitely not low, i think the guy playing in the video uses 90 (I'm sure he doesn't play with 60/70) and you can go up to 120, I use 100. Recoil just differs between weapons but yes, it's not like BF and more like W:ET.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    thx for the answers Xoliul, and yeah a trailer isn't a whole lot of time to show all the features of a game. Looking forward to seeing the next update. (especially character screenshots :D)

The only one I could find is this one :

dirtybomb883.jpg
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    oooo shiny. I'm getting a nice Brink v2 vibe. Really looking forward to seeing more of this. Keep the updates coming.

Any chance of a nice wallpaper?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Well I'm pumped, once it gets a little closer to the closed beta I will fo sho buy me up some stuffles :)

Congrats to ze team, I have high hopes for this one :)
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
  • MartinH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinH polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great guys.I'm always impressed by the art from splash damage!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    awesome !

Ive always seen F2P as an extended demo that you can pay to get the full game. I dont have a problem with that.. I can play the "demo" mode as long as I want..