Home Technical Talk

View Allods models?

Hi everyone.

First: fantastic work, its awesome all the work you do here. :thumbup:

Ontopic: Someone know a way to see the models of Allods? export the models to a program like maya, 3d max studio, milkshape, etc (with texture)? Im interesting in the npc models (monsters, bosses, mounts, etc), not in the characters or items.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOapP7eEqvM"]Allods Online - First Anniversary Animation Reel - PC - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks for all :)

Replies

• TheAncientOne
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How to put it... Reverse engineering is bad, illegal and you shouldn't even think about it.
  • TheAncientOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uncle wrote: »
    How to put it... Reverse engineering is bad, illegal and you shouldn't even think about it.

So, its illegal see the models? i only want to see the models, but dont exist a model viewer like wow model viewer or see the models of Lineage 2 in milkshape or umodel. Im not going to do a custom patch, modify the models or something, i only want to see them.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator

Wat? Yeah if you're repacking and distributing the models yourself, or selling them, or some other nefarious purpose, then it would be illegal. For viewing purposes though? How else would people make machinima or mods?

I think the key thing to remember on that is "Don't be an idiot." If you were to pass off someone elses models as your own, you're begging to be blacklisted. That said, sorry man, I have no knowledge of any model viewer for Allods.
  • TheAncientOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    That said, sorry man, I have no knowledge of any model viewer for Allods.

np, i search and dont exist a model viewer of Allods, thats is why i ask about a way to export the models to a modeling program to see it :)
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    You could try something like 3d Ripper DX:

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

Which is a tool used to get DirectX or OpenGL data out of ... stuff. I don't know if there's a taboo when it comes to talking about this sort of thing, I should hope not.
  • TheAncientOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave wrote: »
    You could try something like 3d Ripper DX:

http://www.deep-shadows.com/hax/3DRipperDX.htm

Which is a tool used to get DirectX or OpenGL data out of ... stuff. I don't know if there's a taboo when it comes to talking about this sort of thing, I should hope not.

Thanks, i will try
  • TheAncientOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A friend found this

http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=9435

Its working, but the program has some bugs (some models dont appear, some models dont has textures and others has the texture wrong). I tried export it (one of this models) to milkshape but this appear when i open it "this ms3d file has invalid triangles/groups". So i send a mesagge to the page of the problem, i hope this work right soon.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You guys might want to reel in your expectations, since Allods models haven't been touched or researched since the very early releases of the game due to some legal complaint.

So any model you export or see as of now, is about as much as you're going to get most likely.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I guess I made a mistake, clearly it is legal very often. But ethics are questionable, even for learning purposes. At least that is my opinion, I have strong regard for intellectual property. Modding encouraged by developer is one thing and decompiling stuff is another.
    Game as a product is intended to be played, not taken apart. There is clearly a reason it is not shipped with psd files. Right, taking a look at the meshes is hardly a deep insight into creation process, but where is the line drawn?

Anyway, is it ok to take a look at the data just because there are ways to do it and it is more or less legal? I don't think so but, but that may be just a muttering of a bitter man. :)
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    My personal statement would be reverse engineering is perfectly ok if you do it for educational purposes. If you own copy of game, there is nothing that can stop you. Problems may start when you start to showcase obtained models or textures. Till that time everything is ok.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Slipgatecentral did post a artdump a while ago which may help: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74450&highlight=Allods

Also try the Xentax forums see if anyone has made any exporters/scripts: http://www.xentax.com/
  • TheAncientOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark wrote: »
    Slipgatecentral did post a artdump a while ago which may help: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74450&highlight=Allods

Also try the Xentax forums see if anyone has made any exporters/scripts: http://www.xentax.com/

Thanks i will try
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Yeah, I guess I made a mistake, clearly it is legal very often. But ethics are questionable, even for learning purposes. At least that is my opinion, I have strong regard for intellectual property. Modding encouraged by developer is one thing and decompiling stuff is another.
    Game as a product is intended to be played, not taken apart. There is clearly a reason it is not shipped with psd files. Right, taking a look at the meshes is hardly a deep insight into creation process, but where is the line drawn?

Anyway, is it ok to take a look at the data just because there are ways to do it and it is more or less legal? I don't think so but, but that may be just a muttering of a bitter man. :)

You are reacting as if there are any superdeep secrets to be revealed. we all work with years old workflows. there are no real industry secrets on the 2d - 3d content creation side. In the end it cones down to the experience of the individual artist who worked on the assets, i don't see how looking at their work can be a problem. Unless its used ti rip and resell someones work, otherwise the experience is something no one can just rip. they still will have to learn on their own and get their art better in their own.
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I certainly agree Neox to pretty much everything. I guess it just comes down to personal rules. Maybe I am too zealous cause I hit my first gig just 3 months ago. Perspective will come with time probably, as for now I just can't get rid of bad taste thinking about that stuff.

Anyway, thanks for discussion.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Neox wrote: »
    You are reacting as if there are any superdeep secrets to be revealed. we all work with years old workflows. there are no real industry secrets on the 2d - 3d content creation side. In the end it cones down to the experience of the individual artist who worked on the assets, i don't see how looking at their work can be a problem. Unless its used ti rip and resell someones work, otherwise the experience is something no one can just rip. they still will have to learn on their own and get their art better in their own.
    You would be surprised at the number of studios who think they're the only ones ever to create a certain thing and be in charge of 'said technology' and can issue a D&C on that basis alone.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Just ask Slipgate, he did tons of models for this game :P
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I tear apart almost every game I own and look at the models. Real cool to see how they approach topology on some shapes. I also like to put them in other engines to see if I can light them any better
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    Would personally love to see the topology of some of the models, but like Neox says, there's no real secrets - it all comes down to the ideas behind each character and the execution that lies in the texture work, no one can "rip" the talent behind all that crazy awesomeness.

That said, i wouldn't be happy to put out my psd's but you can't deduct and copy how a work of art was done just by accessing the different layers...

Either way what intrigued me the most when i saw Allods the very first time, was the textures - they're fucking brilliant! http://forum.ragezone.com/f745/tools-texture-viewer-816960/
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    I've been looking for a way to extract models from Allods too- so far the best I've been able to do is use Machinima Studio to export them as obj and reimport them to my 3d app of choice (happens to be Blender). It works, but all of the model's LODs are merged together and there's no way of separating them other than going in and manually deleting faces. It's a pain but I've done it with a few of the characters and weapons...also for many of the models the texture links are broken and I have to find them using the texture viewer.

Like everyone says, stealing assets is wrong. I'm only doing this to see how the models are made, and not sharing anything I find.
  • TheAncientOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one will steal the models.

Machinima Studio is good, but much models havent texture and others are invisibles :/

Too bad Slipgatecentral dont response the messages i sent 5 days ago.