Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RPG-7

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone,

Been a while since I had anything nice to show, university has really been working me hard. I've been working away in my spare time on this RPG-7 and I've just finished the high and low poly versions and thought I might come on here to get some crits and advice before I move on.

High poly:
RPG-7_HPcrit2.jpg
RPG-7_HPcrit1.jpg

Low Poly (6,344 tris)
RPG-7_LPwires.jpg

...and some reference,
Rpg7a6dm.jpg
300px-RPG-7_detached.jpg
Hit me!

Replies

• Joker_47
    Offline / Send Message
    Joker_47 polycounter lvl 6
    Nice ! Waiting textured version.
  • zakhar2
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    Those grooves on the actual rocket are probably gonna bake better (and look more like your reference) if you softened them up a little. There's also some pinching but i guess that doesn't matter as much since the rocket is gonna be the furthest thing from the player.
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The tube has 24 sides. The rocket has twice as large a radius, but only gets 12 sides?

Larger tubes = more sides.
  • Andreas
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I agree that the rocket needs more segments, but if its for FPS consumption Snader, it might not be neccesary at all, due to it being so far away. But with reloading animations etc. to be considered, more segments might be the smarter choice anyway.

Can we get an FPS shot with the rocket in the launcher KartoonHead?
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Good call guys, you know when you've just looked at something for so long you can't see what's right or wrong about it? Well I guess that's what the crits are for. Anyways I just rendered out this first-person shot and I think you'll agree that there's a serious case of silhouette fail going on with the warhead. It SHALL be rectified!
    RPG-7_silhouetteFAIL.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I'd get rid of the modeled ridges on the back of the rocket. You'll never see those.
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm determined not to suck at texturing this guy, so I'm practicing on the warhead. Crits and advice on the texture are very welcome. It's 1am so I hope this doesn't actually look terrible and my tired eyes just can't tell :/
    RPG-WarheadTextureWIP_02.jpg
  • theSixtyEight
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    well, please try to use full camera view, so it isnt just on 1/10 of image, and dont blur it...because its impossible to see textures
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, here's a much larger perspective shot without any post effects and the diffuse and specular texture sheets.

Diffuse,
    Warhead_DIFF.jpg
    Spec,
    Warhead_SPEC-GLOSS.jpg
    Persp,
    Warhead_Mesh.jpg
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    First bake of the low-poly with normal and AO maps, crit away :)
    RPG_LP_AONRM.jpg
  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    why would different colours of paint have different specular values?

thats not something that would happen in real life and it is very obvious in the toolbag render of it
  • RedRogueXIII
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 11
    From ego view it shouldn't be a big problem, but from the side those 8 sided holes on the front sight post are really obvious.
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    passerby wrote: »

thats not something that would happen in real life and it is very obvious in the toolbag render of it
    Well if the green paint is from the factory and the others were custom they can't have 100% identical physical properties rite ? :P
  • toilet_bear
    I'm digging the teeth on the warhead! nice! :)
  • AlecMoody
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    respawnrt wrote: »
    Well if the green paint is from the factory and the others were custom they can't have 100% identical physical properties rite ? :P

It's also not necessary to approach things from a 100% physical standpoint. Real time rendering pipelines are so far from being a physically accurate model that you need to look at your results and tweak accordingly.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter

of course it can happen if different tpes of paint have been used
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    rpg-7.jpg

Rockets usually don't have a lot of scratches, dings and other assorted damage. Because, y'know, those things have a tendency to explode when they hit something.
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message

Maybe I've done this wrong, but I'm also using a gloss map and the paint is all one specular power on that map. The spec needs to have different values for different colours so that when they're 'added' together the spec looks consistent over colour borders. I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

I've redone the texture many times over since I put it up, using a much more saturated colour spec atm. I'll post the updates with the gloss map when I've made a start on the actual RPG-7.

@snader - neither would you paint shark teeth onto the part that's going to explode, but yes you are right, I'm redoing the material at the moment. I've also decided to go with the glossy painted warhead in your reference instead of the bumpy mat-finish one, it just looks more interesting.

@redrogue - yea that bugs me too, but from a 1st-person perspective you can hardly see the holes at all, probably could have gotten away with not modelling them in! The way I see it - 1st person: can't see them - 3rd person: way too far away for it to be noticable. The same reason I removed the strap clip bits from the front and back, you'd just never see them.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah there are so many different types of paint with all different properties...

gloss, semi-gloss, flat, semi-flat, primer, acrylic, latex, oil based....

All would look different or have different properties :)
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Peoples, can I get a second pair of eyes on this please? I've been having trouble getting the materials to show up as I want them to so I decided to do a bit of messing around on a brick. I'm trying to get matte paint, chipped away to reveal metal underneath, does this look anything like it? I've been looking at it for so long I can't tell what's right/wrong about it. I'll also show you the maps so you can let me know if there's something I should be painting differently in my textures.
    PaintedMetalTest.jpg
    My eyes hurt.
  • supaclueless
    Online / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    im not much of a professional here but i would say that you should brighten the big specular scratches so they shine more since from what i guess is ur trying to make clean metal...right now the scratches feels flat.

this is my personal opinion and i am by no means a professional :D
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    If you look at that huge image of the RPG I posted, you'll notice that the conterast on the worn metallic parts is actually lower than on the painted bits. This because the worn metal is no longer smooth and shiny, but quite rough.

Here are some close-up samples (maybe not the same element/alloy though) of chipped paint:

hubtoots.jpgcatlid6.jpg

I'd try reducing your spec map a lot and upping the diffuse to be lighter, see how that works. You could also try adding a very thin border between the metal and colored paint to simulate the base paint, like in the animal one. You might not have sufficient texture res for that, though...
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    maybe take a look at this.. see if it helps...

100_1746.jpg
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    NIIIICE reference right there. Think I might start again from scratch, keep hitting brick walls with the stuff I've got here. I think my base metal texture could do with rusting and ageing a bit, and I really need to work on my paint. I'm just not happy with what I've been getting, time to do some research, reading, and practice. Here's a misrepresentation of my texture from a first-person perspective with the obligatory post-processing.
    RPG_FP_Wallpaper.jpg
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    How're we looking now? I accidentally moved my AO-based dirt layers into my gloss map, and I really like what it did to the paint, so that was a happy accident. Damage has been removed from the warhead BUT, I've left the damage on the custom paint-job in, because in my experience cheapo spray paint won't adhere to a glossy surface very well, so that explains that. Heat-shield and handles SHOULD be plastic, I tried allsorts with the diffuse and spec, and it only made it less-plastic-ish. Still looks a little plain to me, but I couldn't figure out any way to make it better. I used the paint damage layer to add normal map detail, so the paint looks like it's on-top of the metal base (speaking of which, why does every program seem to output the green channel differently? That shiz needs standardising sharpish!). There's a 1px outline around the black paint, most of the photosource I found showed a white primer, so white is what I went for, makes it a little monochrome looking, but it looks a heck of a lot better than the rusty orange I tried out. If you managed to make it through those ramblings, congratulations, now, any thoughts?
    RPG_LP_WIP4.jpg
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working on my texturing and baking quite a bit recently and I thought I'd come back here to point and laugh at my past-self. I recently rebaked and retextured this model using the stuff I've learned in the past few months and I think it's safe to say there has definitely been progress made! Once I've finished touching up this one I'll move onto the warhead. Still keeping the shark teeth, though :)
    MD_portfolio_09.jpg
  • CordellC
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Stellar improvement; these threads are the greatest to see.

Keep it up!
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah its fun to see progress both for yourself and others.
  • KarlWrang
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice update! :), looks much more consistent now
  • Plumbjet
    Offline / Send Message
    Plumbjet polycounter lvl 12
    I think what you had done is great. I like the texture work you did on 03-26-2012 better then the one you just posted, I.m still learning and would be very happy to end up with a finshed model like that. Please keep posting your work ,love to see more.
  • cookedpeanut
    Offline / Send Message
    cookedpeanut polycounter lvl 12
    Post #27 looks very good, looks like a nicely worn metal texture. I prefer the old warhead texture to the new one, it looks a little blurred and newish looking. Keep the nice scratched up look.

Would you mind sharing your texturing workflow? Ta
    Also I assume your using Photoshop - mind sharing the brushes your using?

Ta,
    C
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words of encouragement! Definitely appreciated.

So here it is now, went with Snader's opinion of 'those things have a tendency to explode when they hit something' so my warhead is quite new and shiny. I also preferred the reference pics I found that showed a glossy and bumpy rocked rather than flat and rough. Let me know what you think anyway. Also, am I cool using greentooth on this thing? Is that an acceptable thing to do or do I need to have won some sorta prize or be better than I am to use him? I don't know how it works, just think he looks cool!
    MD_portfolio_11.jpg
    [IMG]http://www.polycount.com/forum/those things have a tendency to explode when they hit something[/IMG]
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    With that amount of gloss/spec on the warhead, you won't even need to fire, you'll just blind any american infidels ;-)

I like the subtle color variation on the metal parts - maybe some subtle scratches as well, as it's still quite even?

Very nice looking either way!
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    My eyes lock right onto those hex shapes in the forward sights. Everything else looks great but I think you should do what you have to to make those smooth circles.

+1

the rest looks great but this one area really takes away from the final
  • KartoonHead
    Offline / Send Message
    while I ADD MORE GEO! here're the flats to look at, since some people have shown interest in them (can't be bothered watermarking them, so don't steal them or anything because that's rude)

the warhead has its own maps, and no gloss map because I didn't use a gloss map /shrug
    RPGflats.jpg

As for brushes, I don't use anything fancy, just the standard photoshop brushes for wearing down the metal (I find the 'chalk' brush quite useful). For grunge I generally just grab a grimey stamp and turn on shape dynamics and/or scattering then paint away. Then use the same brush with the eraser to take away from it, and repeat until it doesn't look completely contrived. I also mostly have my brushes at 2% opacity and flow and just hack away to build up details. I make far too many mistakes to have everything at a high opacity.