Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Environment Challenge 1

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
First off just want to say sorry for spamming the P&P with our challenge threads, we are just figuring things out.

So this is the start of a monthly challenge where everyone works on an environment concept we give you, you have until the following month on November 7th to finish as much as you can, if not all.

The goal is to do your best, post your progress and for everyone to give feedback, weather you are a "pro" or a noob feel free to give input. And post any questions or issues you come across. Share your ways of doing things if you so feel like it.

This month we are doing an outdoor concept, it it slightly complex but it has so many things to try and practice that you will hopefully learn a lot. This is the concept:GPf9c.jpg

This may seem like it's pretty complicated, and if you are starting out it can be overwhelming, so take it piece by peice.

Break it down into how you want to handle, this will vary depending on what engine you will use. I personally will be using Cryengine, and if anyone needs help with anything relating to it I would be happy to make you a tutorial when I have time.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued, I am thinking that at the end of the month a small prize may be handed out to the winner, nothing significant , maybe a game or something. If you guys like that idea I'm for it.

So here are the rules:

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed parts all over.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let me know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay somewhat similar to the concept, if not very close.

Have fun!

Replies

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And don't use the Utah Teapot for the kettle thing-_-
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    And don't use the Utah Teapot for the kettle thing-_-
    made my day ..

Thanks for the challenge, nice to have someone going with CE3 too ;)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a really interesting bit of environment to do. I might give it a go given I have the right freetime. Would be interested into sharing workflows with other people too.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Looks cool, once my hangover clears, I'll put some thought into this!
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Also working in CE3. This is gonna be fun.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Does this mean there will be a different challenge every month? Because that would be awesome! Cool concept, I might try and give it ago if I can squeeze in some time.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes there will be a new challenge every month. Next month is modular SciFi. And china take a look at wend as world machine >mudbox > udk cry engine videos on YouTube.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    I will give it my best attempt in my free time. Will be using UDK. Hoping to share and learn :)
  • dyv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dyv
    chiniara wrote: »
    I'll be using UDK for this one.

My major issue is that i don't know how to start a open enviroment like this. This will be a great oportunity to learn!

First start boxing the scene, to get right perspective and proportions.
    Create some ground, basic shapes, basic lightning. After that replace them by final objects.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    i have a question , my pc can't handle udk or cryengine , so can i do it with vray but with games specs ( lowpoly props and textures ) .

i really like to join in :)
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    ayoub44 wrote: »
    i have a question , my pc can't handle udk or cryengine , so can i do it with vray but with games specs ( lowpoly props and textures ) .

i really like to join in :)
    That should be fine.

Anyways here is my blockout so far:
    blockouttents.png
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    chiniara wrote: »
    I'll be using UDK for this one.

My major issue is that i don't know how to start a open enviroment like this. This will be a great oportunity to learn!

You could use Unity engine.
  • tinokun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tinokun polycounter lvl 11
    This is awesome... I am definitely giving this a shot!
  • FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Using UDK here. I may or may not participate depending on how busy I am!
  • Blackstone69
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blackstone69 polycounter lvl 13
    I haven't done a challenge in a while and this looks promising enough to put on my environment portfolio, and i can also use it for my portfolio class, thx for the challenge :P
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, will start working ASAP.

I will most likely be using Unity as my game-engine and I will try to hand-paint my textures.
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    Anyone know what those pillars on the left are? I cant tell if its all stone, or if there are pieces of metal.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They look like stone to me.
  • GerardM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in, I will use the Unity 3d engine, and try to create a hand painted textured look.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    With the Arenanet art test and Dota 2 challenge, I probably won't have time for this challenge :( Next month for sure!
  • CDeniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CDeniz polygon
    I plan to finish those stone pillars and the tent by next week. And then 1 week to texture, 1 week to work in cryengine and the last week tweaking things,, making adjustments.

maya2012100915470721.png
    maya2012100915471480.png
    maya2012100915472604.png
    maya2012100915474021.png
    The textures are just basic colors until I begin texturing next week. Any suggestions so far.

How are you guys coming along?
  • whitelyt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count me in. I have not had the chance to produce an open environment in UDK and the concept is interesting. Advice will be greatly needed with this ha

Looked at the Wenda World Machine > Mudbox > UDK videos and have got a grasp but I'm bound to stumble. This will be fun
  • GerardM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started modeling a little part of the scene.
    schermafbeelding2012101.png

I will continue modeling tomorrow and try to make the first textures as soon as possible.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    Allright here is my blockout, first in UDK just to get a rough sense. Then i refined it a bit more and am ready to begin modeling further

blockout.jpg

blockout_maya.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    Well this is pretty epic.. Count me in
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good guys! Keep it up so I can critique you, it's a little too early.
  • r3spawn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really want to participate but I'm such a noob that this scene is a bit too advanced for me. I know it's pretty basic for most people but I wouldn't even know how to the cloth in the tents.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    r3spawn wrote: »
    I really want to participate but I'm such a noob that this scene is a bit too advanced for me. I know it's pretty basic for most people but I wouldn't even know how to the cloth in the tents.

then u learn how to ;) that's the point of all this, good luck people, subscribed!
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12

Why don't you just practise blocking it ALL out, super low poly but emphasis on scale, distance and composing the scene completely. (Use vertex colour to make it standout)

After you are happy with this choose an element that you have some experience in and try and improve, be it focus on cleaner mesh or better texturing etc.

Take one step at a time.
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    this would technically be great practice for my next project, so im really excited about it. just have to finish what im working on first and ill get going
  • GerardM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried some texturing today, i really want to give my scene a cartoony / hand painted look

textureresearch.jpg

Please give me some feedback on my work I could really use it.
  • whitelyt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Try, see what you can do. You may be impressed by how much you can do. I'm in the same boat but I want to learn so if there are a few set backs along the way then at least I'll learn from them.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may not be good enough to create something like this. :P
  • GerardM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Robeomega This is a challenge with the purpose for learning so why don't you just participate and see what you can create.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may try this out then.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right. I'm gonna start on it today. I'll be using the Grit Engine. :) greybox pics:

campsite_001.jpg

The main difficulty to me here was trying to make it work on a 1920*1080 aspect. I worked with colors here because it helped separating space in the picture. It's all very early work, there's 2 hours of block out here. But it should be enough for a test in engine just to place the final camera position and start producing art for it.

It's missing props and the camera angle is slightly looking upward as opposed to the concept but it's part of trying to make it fit the canvas I guess. :P
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I don't know how to use Game Engine for this O o"
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great man! I wish I had the time to participate.
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ParoXum is the Grit engine easy to use? I've looked though their website a bit but I couldn't find any real workflow examples, also no "features" page.

I am reconsidering my choice of game engine and an open-source alternative would be very nice.
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not as easy to use as UDK or CE3 if you don't like to dig into code. It's fairly easy if you can code with lua. You only need a basic understanding.

There's no editor whatsoever neither. ;)
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update for me, doing slightly stylized texture is new for me, so I'm literally spending hours at the moment refining a lazy-ass workflow that can give me nice results at doing grass. This is just a work in progress try here, it doesnt even tile but heh, I thought i'd update the thread here since no one seem to post:

grass_technique.jpg

I'm also gathering advices here being a stylized art noob.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Man I'm to late... I might just do part of it, lemmie get an idea for what I wanna do.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    question, can i post no matter how small the contribution is? example i finished texturing some rocks and a pole.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    ^ I'm pretty sure that's just fine!

And yeah I won't have the time for this one - I hope there's been enough reception for another challenge next month?
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, since I'm coming in more than half way through could I just do one of the characters? I know its supposed to be an environment, but I don't think I can get any single major set piece done.

Edit: I completely understand if this throws me out of the running for winning it, I have no problem with that.
  • NinthJake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ParoXum thanks for the info, seems like I'll have to learn basic lua as well then :p

The ground texture looks great, I'm not sure about the bigger plants though, I feel like they should probably be billboards that stick out of the ground, just my point of view though.

@Bonkahe this is the monthly Environment challenge, I don't think we are supposed to include the characters. There is another monthly challenge for characters only.

I am also starting very late so I'm not sure I can complete it in time but I'll try to do as much as I can.

For now all I have to show is the fireplace, I need help optimizing this a bit better because I think 2830 faces are a bit much for this kind of prop.
    mSnG0.jpg

The most poly-consuming part is obviously the stones, I made a few variations and instanced them around the fireplace so that I could just unwrap and texture the original stones and save some time. Would it be better to as GerardM did and texture each stone individually instead?
  • sybrix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sybrix polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start ParoXum! I think it mainly could use some contrast right now. Needs a more distinct shift between lights and darks. Could also use a little color variation, maybe some more yellows and blue/greens in there, it seems to be all one hue and value right now. Maybe add some little flowers in there too? :)

Love seeing stylized stuff, can't wait to see what you come up with.

NinthJake - I think the places you could save some polys is the knob on the pot lid and that dirt mound. I don't think you need so many polys for that, especially since I don't think that extra geo is really helping the silhouette. To help decide where to cut out polys, try to see your asset from the perspective of the player and think about whether your edges add to the overall form of your objects. For example if the sticks are going to be shoved into the ground, you can delete the faces on the bottom of the sticks since no player will ever see that.

I think you could also cut a lot of edges from the rocks. I think you're right to create the rock variations and instance them around the campfire (you can make them look different by nonuniform scaling them too!) You could probably fit all 3 or so rock textures on one map too. I also think I see some extra unneeded edges on the sticks, near the bottom.
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will do, I think I'm going to start then.

As for your poly count, the dirt doesn't need extra polys imo, just make it a plane, or just put it on the ground and make the ground texture dirt, then just add some logs maybe a decal of ash on the ground and your good to go. As for the rocks, you could try something like Skyrim does with its rock walls and make all the rocks one model. Just make a cylinder (using cylinder or create a box and extrude it around it if you want it less uniform), and slice it up, then move the verts around into the shape of rocks. Extrude a face or two here and there to break it up even more, for added detail you can try breaking it up into 2-3 objects.

>.> But wait there's more! lol not really but that does sound like an infomercial.

Edit: Darn you Sybrix, Beat me to it, sneaky hobbitises... oh well, but the rock idea is still good, it all being one model, I would suggest trying em both and finding what you like best, also I don't think you need as many polys on those binds holding the sticks together.