Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand-painted texture WIP thred

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AavaChan polycounter lvl 6
Hi!

My name is Kim and I have recently started practice handpainted textures and can't seems to get that much feedback from DA so I thought about giving this side a try.

Any kind of feedback would be helpful.

I'm not that used to 3D-modelling, so I guess you will find some things that could be optimized. If you do please tell ^^

swordshield_summary.png

Software used

CS5
3Dsmax

Cheers!

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Kim,

Looks fine to me nice job, is this for anything, character, environment?
    Or just practice?

The only thing I would touch is the length of the blade, It's a little small but that also depends on who's swinging It.

I take It this is inspired by the character Link?

Edit:
    I see It's about the Wow style Texturing Video, looks alright then.
  • Weirdboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work over all. Only think that sticks out at me is the boundaries between some of the different pieces of geometry are really obvious. It's the bits that have their UVs separated from the rest of the model their on. I've been doing handpainted stuff here and there, and this is something I've noticed I have problems with as well. I think adding some shadows around the edges might make it look better.

Redline-1.jpg
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz - Thanks! No it's just for practice. And yeah your right the blade might be a bit short or the handle a bit too long. I will fix that later, when I do some touch ups! :)

Weirdboy - Thanks for the tip! I will do so when I fix it later. I'm going to make some touch ups.:)

Here's another piece I did accually finish today, also just practice. I think wood is one of the most fun thing to do, have only painted it a few times before.

Also, I left a bit of uv-space in the upper corner on purpose, I saved it to make soething else, not quite sure yet, but probably just something small.

Feedback would be appreciated! :)
    summary_barrel_crate.jpg
  • Saiodin
    Offline / Send Message
    Saiodin polycounter lvl 5
    That wood looks gorgeous...

Can you give me any tips on how to start painting in such a style? I'm really interested in it, but I find it hard to find anything about it on the net. I just found this forum and try to find something. That's how I came to this thread :)
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    Have done some updates!

Have added gold, apples and a bottle in the uv-space which was empty. Also done some fixes to the metal, more highlights on the metal crate and done some changes to the metal on the barrel.

summary_barrel_crate2.jpg
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiodin Thanks! :D

Well I just started myself so maybe I'm not the best person giving advice, but when I started I looked/studied many pictures of peoples handpainted textures and also on different games. When you have done some study it's only a matter of practice, as with everything, you have to practice in order to learn and to make progress. :P
    A tip is to search on google after "hand painted textures" or more specific search as "hand painted barrel".:)
    Found this on youtube [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H8tVvTlBf8"]hand painted texture test - YouTube[/ame] it's a vid when someone is painting an axe-texture. Maybe it helps a little.

When I paint, I only use the standard brush with some smooth and transfer. And also I always have it on 100 % opacity. When I blend/mix colours I use the eye dropper tool to pick the colours next to it.
    But there's plent of techniques you can use, you have to find the one suting you the best :D Hope it helped a little, I'm quite bad at explaining. *shrug*
  • Pangahas
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Hi nice looking hand painted textures.One thing if I may crit though is the empty barrel that you made.The inside looks odd given that the ring from the outside that hold the wood planks is visible,and in real life I don't think they put one of those on the interior.You could probably just cap it off and make a black texture for the hole.
  • switz
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    Textures are looking okay, I think you could push contrast and hue-variation a bit more however. The edges of the barrel-planks are awkward too, have a look at this image to a get a sense of how these endings ought to look:

pine,%20radiata%20end%20grain%202%20web.jpg

Also, run the sharpen function a few times on your gold-coin texture - it's looking a bit blurry.
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas Thanks for the feedback. I thought about the rings beeing visible on the inside, but didn't pay that much attention as I have seen other do the same. But your right, you don't see rings on the inside in real life. Tested a black hole but, as you suggested, it didn't look too good. I accully removed the lid after I was done with texture to see if it was possible to have it open and just enabled "doublesided" texture. :poly124: So it wasn't planned in the beggining.

switz Thanks for feedback, changed the edges on the plank. It looks better I think so thanks!:) Also changed the golden stones into gold coins instead, looks more smooth with the rest of the stuff.summary_barrel_crate3.png
  • Pangahas
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Well maybe you could extrude it a bit more inside make a gradient transition from the black cap to the textured wood exterior.I could see this being used on a Diablo style/Rpg game where the camera angle would be top down/isometric so that might do the trick,it would add a little over 20tris to the asset though and as I see it there's no more space for it in your texture sheet.Anyways some more subtle hue variations in your wood texture should wrap this one out.
    From the wiki >http://wiki.polycount.com/TexturingTutorials?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=handpaint_more-color-saiainoshi.jpg
  • KingLuke24
    Hi! I'm currently a young 3D artist trying to practice doing hand-painted textures. Would you mind telling me where you learned how? I've looked on the internet and have found speed-painting videos and such but not simply a walk-through tutorial of how to get started. I have a fair amount of photoshop experience, and I've been using 3ds max for a while, so I'm really striving to try and work on handpainted textures. Any advice?
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    KingLuke24 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm currently a young 3D artist trying to practice doing hand-painted textures. Would you mind telling me where you learned how? I've looked on the internet and have found speed-painting videos and such but not simply a walk-through tutorial of how to get started. I have a fair amount of photoshop experience, and I've been using 3ds max for a while, so I'm really striving to try and work on handpainted textures. Any advice?

Well using a tablet will make i't allot easier. Its not so much about Photoshop since its about painting but of course its an advantage to know the software you work with. I have not used it but here you got a tutorial for that kind of stuff. http://www.3dmotive.com/training/photoshop/hand-painted-weapon-texturing/?follow=true
  • KingLuke24
    I have a wacom tablet, so I guess it's just a matter of learning the techniques.
    And it's funny. I actually just recently found this! And better yet I found it for free on youtube! Lol.
    And again, great job with these textures! I love this style/look in games! It just has such a fantastical look about it! Awesome work! :)
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    KingLuke24 Thanks! :) Well I haven'r done so many handpainted textures my self, just started this summer. But I have been looking alot on pictures, how wood for example looks like, where light and shadow should be placed. Also I have looked on other peoples handpainted textures. So I haven't really learned it somewhere :poly124: It's most about practice, and you also get good advices if you post your stuff in forums, which will help improvement.

So My advice is to search for alot of pictures/textures and "study" them, how do things accually look like. Even though it's cartoony style you want it's a good way to start.
    As I wrote earlier
    When I paint, I only use the standard brush with some smooth and transfer. And also I always have it on 100 % opacity. When I blend/mix colours I use the eye dropper tool to pick the colours next to it.
    But there's plent of techniques you can use, you have to find the one suting you the best Hope it helped a little, I'm quite bad at explaining.

Hope iy helped a little bit :)
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again! Updating Time!

Have done some character concept and practice tileble textures, this time roof tiles. Which I plan to use on some house models.

I'm thinking on creating a town in 3d with handpainted textures, thought that would look better as portfolio than just seperat objects.

I appreciate feedback on the textures :) and also if you like on the characters.

tilebaratexturer.png
    cat_value.jpg
  • MrRik
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    looks really cool. On the second tileable texture i would randomise it a little bit more its to straight atm
  • Snader
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Your cats are really lacking in contrast and hue variation. Every thing is the same matte grey material. Only one thing has a slight different tint: the guy's shirt.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I do like those roof textures! (The one on the right could use a few more edge highlights though?)
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback!:) I will be refining the tileable textures soon, I'm probably going to use them for my project so I want it to be as good as possible.

The project i'm working on now is to great a lot of handpainted, low poly assets to build a town/city in udk. This is only for learning, so it's not going to be used for anything.

I have just started building, started of painting the textures for windows, door and then added more while working. i'm extruding it from a plane.
    I'm trying to pack as many uv stuff as possible on the same texture and re-using it.

handpainted_doors_windows.jpg

picture is a print screen from viewport.
  • HandSandwich
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Kim, thought I'd do a little paintover action for you. It's one of your earlier pieces posted but hopefully it'll help. Here ya go:
    6V7nCb.gif
    What you have is a good place to start for sure. You just need to push things further. With handpainted textures you want to push the style of the piece. Try to get the materials across, paint in depth and volume, sharpen details when needed, play with color. Also, dont forget about the lines of construction and contact shadows. Keep it up :)
  • sipher3325
    Good paint over. You def are going to want to paint in those highlights and shadows.
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    HandSandwich - Oh thanks a lot! Really helpful! :D I will definitly make does changes and try pushing my other textures.
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

Have changed the texture for the sword and shield. I think it looks a lot better now. I will keep in mind to push my textures a bit futher than I have previously done.

handpainted_texture_sowrd_shield.png
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    I love your improvement, it inspires me to someday create a thread like this. I think with his paintover, the most important thing that stood out to me was the shine on the gold aspects, especially the corners of the shield, and the reflective stripe going across the middle gold piece. Keep up the good work!
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat: Thank you! Yes I noticed that too, will probably fix the texture again, aswell the other ones too.

I have been working on this project for about 4 weeks now, most of the time have been consumed by drawing all the textures.

You can find the tiles used here:

I have some uv-space left to use for more props and bake light maps.

I have only been using diffuses and specular maps, all 512x512.

This is my first time using UDK and vegetation. Will post the textures later.
    handpainted_textures.png
    image upload
    handpainted_textures_02.png
    photo sharing
  • AavaChan
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some more picture of the process, still have some empty uv-space to use and make proper lightmaps. Atm I have let udk make the light maps.

I have used 7 uv's totally, 3 of them are tileable.

handpainted_textures_house.png

handpainted_props02.png
  • Inkalicious
    the sword and shield look much better. we are doing hand painted textures in school right now. this is very helpful.