Home Technical Talk

maya transfer map problem

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
i been trying to get a normal map out of a model using the transfer map in maya so i set up the this model
modelfine.jpg

then i use the test high poly model to make sure it works

modelhigpoly.jpg

but the end result are this.

normalsbroken.jpg

i been using the default settings on transfer maps, any help on this problem would be appriciated and sorry for bad grammar

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like every edge in your low poly is set to hard? To get a good bake, you will need to soften edges, except at hard (90 degrees or more) transitions in the model. For each hard edge, you will need to create a seam and leave a few pixels of padding between the UV shells.

Also, this thread is helpful.
  • Kon Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kon Artist polycounter lvl 8
    In Maya any hard edge must also be a seam in UV space... All other edges must be soft. And not all seams need to be hard, only those that are 90 or more (just like the post said above).

Also, when your baking, use the envelope and set it to something like .5-1.5

It doesn't look like your getting any projection burning in between the gun and body; but, if you do, you could do multiple bakes or explode your model. Post some pics.after you get a good transfer.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Yup soften your normals
    And if they look weird when you have softened them try unlock notrmals
    If they still look weird try splitting the mesh up and softening everything then merging back together

Great advice throttle and Kon! I didn't know about the 90 degree or UV hard edges on Uvs thing ^^
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm confused, I don't see a high poly model here?
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I'm confused, I don't see a high poly model here?

there is no highpoly. he is testing a bake from lowpoly to lowpoly ...

also, looks like your UVs are completely messed up.
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    sorry for the long response but i try does methods and get back to see if it works.

here is the uv map

uvmap.jpg
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    If you have stuff mirrored you should probs offset the uvs of one of the halves +/- 1 in the or v direction. To do that, select your uv shell and enter "polyEditUV -U -1" in the command line or script editor.
  • BI0H0G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BI0H0G polycounter lvl 9
    so i did a bake test to see if it works here are the result

normalstests.jpg

im using the low quality so i don't know if thats normal, but what do i have to do to remove those wierd edges on the normal map