Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Dota2] – Sniper – Arctic Attire (Working Title)

Hi all I'm just reserving my spot and Idea :). I have a few sketches down and should have some quick concept work up later this evening.

Just a quick note the name could be subject to change I just put it there as a placeholder so that I have a name down :).

I'm really looking forward to getting properly started and can't wait to see everyone’s end work.

Good luck all :)

Replies

• Bold Elf
    A brief Update

Arctic Attire (Working title) Written concept.

Item Story/Lore: A snipers greatest assets are its ability to remain hidden, survive in the harshest of environments and being expertly trained in the use of his equipment.
    As the seasons change so must a snipers methods. With the encroaching snow and the cold that accompanies it Kardel Sharpeye must adapt and alter to more fitting equipment.

Head - "V3 winter goggles": This will be a one piece lens the allows peripheral vision and reduce the chance of becoming snow-blind.
    These will be accompanied by a bluff to help keep him warm and prevent enemies from seeing his breath in the cold (this would give away his position)

Back - "Steepstalker cloak": The cold is coming this means Kardel must adorn a warmer and more concealing cloak.
    This cloak is made from the pelt of the Steepstalker that was slain by his shot thus sending him on his quest.
    The white pelt of the Steepstalker provides excellent camouflage in the winter snow. I am also thinking of incorporating the bullet he used either moulded into a clasp or as part of a necklace or something.

Weapon - "Arctic Load out":As the cold approaches Kardel must alter his weapons load out to accommodate.
    He does this by wrapping parts of his rifle to protect parts from the cold this also keeps the rifle warmer allowing him to grasp it easier (than he would touching freezing cold metal).
    He also attaches a new scope that reduces glare (that would be generated by light bouncing off snow) and helps prevent reflection so not to give away his position.

His rifle will have a Russian WW2 esc feel to it I might even design it a bit like Vasily Zaytsev a legendary Russian sniper from WW2 who was give the rank of hero (and Kardel's name in Dota Allstars according to http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Sniper).

given the time I will try and get a complete set including the last pieces (his gloves and shoulders). And for the shoulders I was thinking maybe the skull of the Steepstalker he killed to go with the cloak. :)

I look forward to hearing what you guys think and I'm really looking forward getting started on this project :D

Also please note that the names of the items are subject to change depending on if I find a more fitting one that goes with the lore.

Cheers

Dan :)
  • Bold Elf
    Here is a concept sheet Iv composed Im thinking of building number 1 for his cape but not to sure which head piece and gun yet what do you guys think?
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    I think it changes the color palette too much. Instead of whites, I'd suggest working with dark greys and dark browns/blacks. Look to grey fox furs or something similar for the materials.
  • Bold Elf
    [FONT=&quot]I was thinking that I could go for a brown more like the summer coats of winter animals. Also the only one that has been coloured is the top left the rest are just black and white at the moment for shapes etc I can work on the colour pallets later :) but thanks for the feed back :). Also do you know would I have to build my own gun from scratch or can I/am I only aloud to add to the existing one?[/FONT]
  • Bold Elf
    Here is a WIP sculpt update for my Snipers Hat
  • Bold Elf
    Heres another quick update after an hour work :)http://imgur.com/cUuXl] forum_new.gif [/url]

P.S. hopefully I have done the bb code for the link correctly :S lol
  • Bold Elf
    Here is the final sculpt for my Snipers Hat. I feel this is enough detail that it wont look noisy on the in game model and enough so it doesn't look bland :).

I will retoplogise, uv and texture this when I have the other 2 pieces built.

Here is a link to the image (since I still havent figured out how to embed them inot my post's yet lol) http://i.imgur.com/a0TWZ.jpg
  • Bold Elf
    Here is a WIP shot of the cloak I am making for the Sniper Polycount project its meant to be made from the Steepstalker he killed in his lore. My thinking was that I will have the arm around his neck 1. to keep him warm 2. to show off his trophy and 3. as a symbol that the 2 are linked and it sort of binds him to his exile (hence the chokeing esc feel) so he cannot escape until he achives his kill on the field of battle :)

Higher res image located here: http://i.imgur.com/u28zM.png
  • Bold Elf
    Just a quick update here is the images for my retopologised Hat and Rifle.

I might need to change the handle/trigger area to match that of the default rifle if the animations call for it.

Hat link:http://i.imgur.com/ZB6Hg.png

Rifle link:http://i.imgur.com/Cdz0h.png
  • Bold Elf
    Not sure how many people are looking at my thread but just wanted to apologise for not updating it recently I have still been working on the project but due to work and spending all of last week (my week off) working my ass off on the project I was unsure if I could complete it as I still had to full texture 2 items and sort the masks on the hat but now the project has been extended I should be able to complete all 3 Items and even spend some time touching up a few issues/refining sections :D. Please feel free to leave a comment as feedback is muchly appreciated :D

Cheers

Dan
  • Bold Elf
    Here is a WIP update for my snipers hat these shots aren't done in the game engine so mask1 and 2 arnt used just the diffuse and normal. I think it looks good from a distance but there are a few areas I'd like to touch up in the normal around the goggles that you can see on the non rendered parts of the image any advice?

WXLmU.jpg

Cheers

Dan
  • Bold Elf
    Here is an update on my project Iv managed to get my cape into the engine but its not going round his neck like I designe (you can see in the above shots) Does any one know how I can get around this? It might have something to do with the fact Iv binded it to all his cape bones. I still havent been able to get the Hat in yet however as it remains invisible :S but heres an image :)

X7wxV.jpg
  • Bold Elf
    Hi every one I am trying to get my Items into the DOTA2 Engine and I am getting several different issues but I dont know why as all the models are compiled in the same way they have no history and are each skinned to the correct bone.

(Please note the names might not be 100% as Im doing this from memory atm)

Rifle -WeaponRoot_0 and Cocker

Hat- Head

Cape- Back1-5 Back 2-5 etc (by this I mean all the bones that correspond to the cape animation etc)

They are all importing but each is having a seperate issue as displayed in the image bellow

SeccI.jpg

I am away most of the weekend due to work and so will have to have one last try Sunday evening before trying again to submit them before the Contest Deadline please if anyone has encountered any of these problems can you tell me how you overcame them

I would realy like to get these submitted for the contest please help

Cheers

Dan
  • Bold Elf
    Hi everyone I'm affraid I wont be able to submit my set before the deadline due to issues Iv tried to fix it but given the time and the fact I have to be up in 6 hours for work (which is 6am :S) I'm going to have to call it :(. I will still try and get my set into the store I just wont be able to submitti it for the comp. I have realy enjoyed it thought (even if I stressed abit) and belive I have learnt alot from it I look forward to the next comp and good luck to all the other compettitors as there are alot of great sets being subbmitted well any way good night everyone catch you all soon :)
  • mjjmlandingin
    that's sad to hear man,

BTW what 3d package are you using? if maya, than maybe i can help you out(as a bonus for being my first ever commentator).

well, I had some of the problems that you have been having, distorted meshes and invisible too. you just have to delete all history/reset transforms before skinning it and exporting it as fbx.