Home General Discussion

Dishonored

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
OK I know it's not yet out for most of the world, but since i've almost completed it (first run, probably one of many). I can say it: GOTY.
Gorgeous art direction, nice story telling, tons of alternative paths. It's not perfect but it's damn near :)
It's been a while I've been completely sucked into a game. When I stop playing I want to go back in the next 5 minutes to try something else.

Ace job Arkane, I knew those guys were talented after arx et dark messiah but this one is clearly the child of thief.

Oh I've to finish it and try another run, but I've the feeling your actions are not making the ending in the 5 last minutes, it's really the choice you made during the game that create a completely different experience. Not the usual 3 choices in the last few minutes and a corresponding cutscene.
I can be wrong ofc but so far I think I'm gonna get the bad ending because of my choices :)

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Good to hear it's as good as it was expected to be. I'll buy it whenever I get my hands on some cash :D
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    This game is glorious. I could see this later on (sequel) being an more open world, rpg kind of game, that would be pretty neat. (Not saying it should be) just would be awesome to see in the next one, because I love blinking over people :p
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Agreed. Game of the Year for me. Art direction is gorgeous. It's a far better game than Bioshock even after my brief session with it last night. Congrats to everyone at Arkane.
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    I hope they come out with an HD texture pack. I dont have a bad thing to say about it, but it hasnt blown me away yet, minus the art. It's worth the purchase just for that.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes definitely better than bioshock. After the discovery of a nice art direction bioshock felt clunky nad repetitive, after a while it got boring.
    So far I've not that feeling with dishonored. There's so many ways to solve a problem it's fun to try and fail :).

Btw for those playing for the first time: I HIGHLY recommand playing on hard. I've made the mistake to play in normal while sometimes it's already pretty hard to get past some points,later in the game it gets harder (more ennemies and sticky situations) it's even more fun.
    My second run will definitely be in hard.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights wrote: »
    I hope they come out with an HD texture pack. I dont have a bad thing to say about it, but it hasnt blown me away yet, minus the art. It's worth the purchase just for that.

To be honest I'm a sucker for high res textures, but this one didn't bother me one bit, I agree some small corners are kidna blury, but overall it matches the art style it's not too bad. I've not the "rage" vibe where some textures a perfect and other are 90's :)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Can't wait to get it. Heard some mix reviews... but i guess its one of those games that i just have to check out for myself. Plus... seems like the art style is worth the purchase. I am sure i'll have fun with it.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I'm four or so hours into it and am loving it. The art direction is awesome and gameplay feels great, lots of variety and side stuff to do/collect. I agree with BlvdNights also, an HD texture pack would be great.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    One question for who has completed/is near completing it, how many hours did it took? I'm the type of slow-gamer that likes to explore the levels and I guess I will try to play this game stealthy, will i get 30h of gameplay, or is it like Rage? (brilliant art but 8h and you're done)

It looks very nice!
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely more than rage, I'm currently at 11hrs I'm not at the end (but I'm close I think). I've to add that I kinda rushed some parts of the game (I coud've gone away from the path of the objective marker (which can be activated/deactivated)), and toward the end since I think I made quite a few bad decisions (bad ending) I'm not worrying much about not killing, I even go for blink-cutting ^^.
    So if you try to do a max of sidequests, collect everything including bone charms an whatnot and try to stay as stealthy as possible you can go far beyond 20hrs .

But I insist for a solo game there's an evident replayability factor.
    It's worth it as a one time experience so it's even better :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I went to the arkane presentation at eurogamer on this and it looks fantastic, love the idea they had of making each part of a level a small open world where the user could explore ideas and play with thier skills to great effect!
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Ged... by ANYYYY chance did that presentation get posted?

Also, I fackin LOVE this game!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ged... by ANYYYY chance did that presentation get posted?

Also, I fackin LOVE this game!

no unfortunately not, it was mostly gameplay focused, there wasnt much detailed info on the making of the game so it was pretty cool but not incredibly informative from an art and design point of view.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I badly want this game, but the console versions have been slammed where I've read them, mostly the 360 one that says its just ugly as sin. How true are these points?

I have the choice of PC or 360 (And PS3 but I don't game there so its pointless), but would rather have the 360 for chevo progress.
  • LorenZZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium take version on PC its look better than 360 version
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Gonna be grabbing the PC version so I can take a closer look at the art and tech. I have shyed away from a lot of the reviews and quick looks as I want to experience it first hand though from what I hear the PC version has a tonne of options menu wise :D

@Odium: The PC version has Games for Windows Live (take that as you will, though they have gotten better and less annoying) which does count to your achievement stuff.
  • JostVice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    @Odium: The PC version has Games for Windows Live (take that as you will, though they have gotten better and less annoying) which does count to your achievement stuff.

What? really? wasn't this steamworks only? there are still games with GFWL thing?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Are you sure its GFWL? I'm sure I just saw the game on Steam and its Steamworks? Hmmm...
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Whoops my bad on that, saw the pc cover and saw games for windows and in my head just thought gfwl. They really need to change/remove that. No idea what its there for haha. Sorry about that!

107568.jpg

@JostVice: I think the last game I played that had it was Batman Arkham City
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I can get this for £20 beans on PC through green man gaming, but balls, just bought RE6, and I just finished 165 odd hours in Borderlands 2, so I'm a bit burnt out... I'll wait until tomorrow night :p
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
    I squeezed in about 30 minutes over lunch, and good god the art in it is amazing. The little bit of game play I experience was really fun, I am going to try and go the whole game without killing anyone. I really like the 'alert' meter above enemies heads to tell if they are on alert or not, and being able to make noises by hitting your sword on a wall, throwing a battle, etc. to distract enemies is awesome. My only complaint is I have already heard enemies saying the same 2 or 3 phrases over and over again. Can't wait to play this tonight.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    how was RE6?

.................................yeah.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL... i'll have to get it on sale then.

Dishonored... from all the screengrabs and videos the art doesn't look that high res... does it look better on the run? i can't imagine the game being very demanding at all.
  • aaronindhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronindhouse polycounter lvl 9
    the art looks nice, but the textures seem a little low res. I think its really just the style they were going for though. It feels like they went with a concept arty style.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Didn't they already say they were trying for a Washed Out, Pastel Paint, kinda of style? You can clearly see the 'blotchy' highlights and such in the textures, with almost flat tones in some parts, no gradient which are outright smooth.
  • ScottP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Game looks amazing but i have to agree the textures look low res. If i had to guess, its due to it being a console port. Darksiders II had the same problem and as do alot of console port type games.

Im not convinced this is due to the style of the game. Things just dont look as sharp or high res as they could. Otherwise great style and gameplay.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Agreed, started playing it today and it definitely lived up to the hype imo, but the textures quite pixelated...maybe they'll do a 'high-rez patch' later XD
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    IT IS GLORIOUS.

Easily one of my favorite games of all time. I've almost finished it and am planning on a couple more playthroughs.
  • aaronindhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronindhouse polycounter lvl 9
    Texture res aside, the only weak thing I've seen in this game has been the vegetation. It looks indelicately arranged and very planar. Especially at the pub.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is hands down the most fun game I have played in ages. Your guy is such as bad ass! I really like the art style and the game looks pretty dam nice, a few texture issues aside.

One of the few games I am really glad I got for 360 though, been watching my house mate player on PC and it really feels like it was made for controller.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    This is hands down the most fun game I have played in ages. Your guy is such as bad ass! I really like the art style and the game looks pretty dam nice, a few texture issues aside.

One of the few games I am really glad I got for 360 though, been watching my house mate player on PC and it really feels like it was made for controller.

According to most reviews the best experience is on Windows.

Anyways, I beat it just a few minutes ago. My GOTY for sure, and possibly my favorite game of all time. Almost everything about it was perfect. Since this playthrough I went high chaos the ending was almost depressing. Between the events at the lighthouse, what characters begin to think of you, and the ending cinematic it really makes you regret what you've done.

Looking forward to my next playthrough sometime soon.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 13
    I do have one question, and this spoiler is about literally the first 2 minutes of the game, so if you have played the game you will have experienced it, but
    do the two 'people' you kill during the intro of the game ruin the achievement of completing the game without killing a single person? I see no other way to do that other than to kill them. But they are ghosts or something so I don't think it would count, but I want to make sure before I complete the whole game.

On a side note, I didn't notice blurry textures playing on PC. Maybe it's because I have stopped and looked super closely, but I have been staring around at everything I can, and as a whole the game looks amazing.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Textures are definitely not ultra-res, but that hasn't stood in the way of my love for the art. It's a fucking gorgeous game, textures included. Very stylised, quite painterly.

I've been slow-burning this, and enjoying the hell out of it. I'm about 10 hours in now, and I've only just started the second assassination mission. Just been having way too much fun stalking guards, listening to conversations, ogling the art, and killing fools in all manner of fun ways.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    should i get this on psn or steam? anyone have it for pc? (sorry i didn't read too deeply into the thread)
  • PatrickL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatrickL polycounter lvl 9
    This game is an absolute tease. It's very close to being an absolutely magnificent game, but in almost every way it manages to come up feeling short.

It's fun, but doesn't last very long. It's re-playable, but easy on "very hard" no matter how you choose to play. The story is interesting, but shallow. The art is gorgeous, but low resolution. The weapons are solid, but there are only three. The powers useful, but seem very rigid and overpowered at times.

I enjoyed the game immensely, but there feels like so much wasted potential it breaks my heart. If I could magically double the content in the game, it would probably be my game of 2012.

Here is how I've been describing it to me friends: It's two $30 games packed into one. Very easy, very short, cool story, good fun. Worth replaying.
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    It's an above mediocre game that tries to do everything but falls short on everything.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Playing it on PS3. Much better looking than I was expecting from all the reviews dogging the console versions. I love the art direction. Really amazing world. Feels great to go around the world.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM what are your settings? it looks really low res if you ask me.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    A great game indeed. I love the stylized but still kind of realistic in the textures look this game and Bioshock Infinite got going.

I'm about 3 hours into it so far and it is a blast. Just wish I had more number keys for all my powers ahahaha.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So are you guys turning everything off? like markers, and helpers, maybe even the HUD? in my mind that is how i think i'll be playing the game.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    MM what are your settings? it looks really low res if you ask me.

all settings are at high and screen were taken at 1920x1200 res.
    it does look low res which might be due to multi console porting.

however, the textures doesnt really bother me since i think the over all art direction is far above many other games that does have high res textures.
  • BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree MM. You can see some pixelated textures, some stretched/low detail textures in some area. But the art direction is so bold and cohesive it doesn't bother me one bit.
    I see people keep asking for high res textures but I'm pretty sure getting high res maps wouldn't help, the paint blotch style you got at Arkane on Dishonored is definitely not best watched on high res textures. It simply doesn't add anything to the art quality.

The textures in this game are a rendition of real life materials with a few brush strokes, better definition would only mean more obvious strokes, not finer high frequency details like in the other games.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    I think they took some inspiration from Discworld, the art style is reminiscent of Paul Kidby's work, Dunwall feels like Ankh-Morpork and you meet a Havelock and a Pratchett
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Hm, I was wondering that when I saw Pratchett warehouses ad too.

I've played about 12 hours so far, and I'm loving this game. I've even gone as far to say that it MIGHT just replace the original Deus Ex as my favourite game of all time. If you've played DX1 you know what a huge claim that is - Human Revolution came close but fell oh so short. This game is another huge step in the right direction for game design, it'd be a crying shame if you didn't buy it due to 'low res' textures or some other nonsense (it looks much better when you're playing than just looking at screenshots - the world is quite detailed and the setting is brilliant).

If this game has dismal sales and bethsoft decided not to fund another project like this then I might just have to kill myself. Well, probably not, but I'll be pissed for at least 5-10 years.

Seriously, get this game.

Personally I was more disappointed that sword combat didn't have 4 directional attacking/blocking but that'd probably be too complex, and doesn't make as much sense when you have a gun/crossbow in your other hand anyway.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    I personally love the game....think it's amazing. It's not some revolutionary title....but it is EXCELLENT. I find it a little funny that everyone is talking about the textures. I really get the feeling that the texture resolution was NOT a major concern on the devs minds here. Personally, as an artist, I really like the way the game looks. It stands out a bit with it's style. And I think the style of the game gives it some sort of an identity WITH some of the lower resolution assets. It's not like everything is blurry or anything. It all seems to lend itself to the overall look here. But the game playing experience rules all in this particular case.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    I'm about 8 hours in and still enjoying it, trying to do most of the side stuff. I agree that it could overall be better but I'm still really enjoying myself. I'm also using Nvidia Inspector to tweak some graphic settings.

One more thing, Ced posted some character stuff!

http://ced66.deviantart.com/gallery/
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Games fantastic, loving the character art and just general art direction on everything haha. The textures just remind me of a more detailed TF2. Feels like being in a painting :D
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this is game is too damn good.