Home Technical Talk

Boolean Problem - MAYA

Hi guys,

having a slight problem in maya - booleaning windows into a brick wall. I've tried with my current building in which I learnt it won't boolean into the wall as theyre not a solid object but planes. However now i've switched to a brick wall example; it seems to make every window inbetween slightly smaller and not as "inward" or built in as the previous.

Example is below;

any help would be greatly appreciated.

booleanproblem.jpg

The windows are literally duplicated; all at the same angle, and all the same size.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    sorry but i'm not quite getting what you're trying to achieve here, could you clarify a bit more?

At any rate though, boolean's are going to be disastrous 99% of the time. If you already have the window modeled, why not just extrude the wall around it, and make it a modular piece. this way you will have a perfect duplicate every time that will always have clean geometry
  • David Wakelin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah!

but then wont my wall by stupidly high poly due to the additional extrudes?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    even at game res, i'm sure it will be an acceptable level. Keep in mind the ammount of N-gons that will be created by boolean. Once that is triangulated in engine you'l have a ton of shading errors and most likely be around the same if not higher polycount that having just extruded.
    i've attached an example here, each piece comes in at only 142 tri's and thats with no cleanup of any kind, so its well within acceptable standards
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    You can easily collapse a lot of those edges into triangles. That will cut down polycount drastically.