Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gallian APC

APC1-1.jpg
Hows it looking? I tried to follow the concept well. my tri limit was 2000-5000 and i hit it at 3,365 tris.

I'm going to be honest it took me 11 hours to make this. Its not uved. yet. I'll be keeping track of time from now on. is that to long?

i used instances and symmetry whereever i could. mostly just made boxes and edited them into place/shape with each part.

I changed the front wheel cover, and the turret a bit to make them functional.

Replies

• superdenny707
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    superdenny707 polycounter lvl 13
    That doesn't seem like a long time to me at all, especially for something with this many parts.

It looks like a pretty good model overall, but I do want to point out you have an n-gon on that front 'headlight' part. Other than that, it looks pretty good
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    I think that its a seperate piece put inside the mesh.
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed the ngons, added wheel flaps, and changed the back a bit to more to match concept.

anything I'm missing from the concept? or somthing thats the wrong shape or proportions or anything? picky polycounters. (:
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I think proportions are off. In the concept turret is more or less in the middle of the whole vechicle (maybe even slightly more to the front). In your model front seems bigger and longer. Turret is moved more to the back because of that.

11 hours for this seems reaaaaalllly long (model itself looks really simple; maybe I'm missing something. Maybe you spent a lot of time on optimizing but for me 11h seems long). You could reduce tri count by reducing number of segments on the inner part of the wheels.
  • fightpunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fightpunch polycounter lvl 10
    The proportions are off, but in my opinion are better in the model, looks more balanced/aggressive.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Definitely wrong proportions. Reference is shorter, narrower, and a bit taller.
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for replies, they helped me see obvious things I overlooked (:
    I updated shot above. lowered count on inner wheels and decided to keep my more agressive proportions.

APC2.jpg

5 hours for the uvs. This is for command and conquer tiberium wars, of course the quality is higher than those in the game. My texture limit is 512x512 I'd like to use a 1024 but the model will only be view as close as in above shot. I applied uniform noise filter in photoshop so I could see the texture density.

anything I can improve? thoughts?
  • Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use a checkerboard to view texture density. Noise is too unreliable. Nothing is more uniform than a grid of black and white squares.
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the uvs, I applied the checker texture. Also checked in uv editor with the checkers on and tried to pad everything with 3 pixels around each uv cluster.

1 checker = 4 pixels

The reason I'm updating this so often is, I'm a new artist and not completely sure if everything I do is exactly right (: I'm going to texture it now, if the uvs are satisfactory to you guys.
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    APC4.jpg
    APC5.jpg
    Here it is the diffuse, WIP update, still have to add logos. crits please.
    This model will be pretty small on screen its for command and conquer tiberium wars. How long should it take to do the texture? (:
  • respawnrt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    It's shaping up great, one thing i notice at the original is the stronger AO and or cavity map near the shapes.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the camo, I'm not a fan of the outline on the blue stripes. The main cannon barrel looks like a rusty pipe to me.
  • NautalusX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm glad it looks like a rusty pipe, thats what I was aiming for. to much rust? maybe tank barrels dont rust like rusty pipes, I'll look it up.