Home Technical Talk

weighting problem in maya

juguefre
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
juguefre polycounter lvl 11
Hello.

I have 1 vertex that don't allow me to paint weights, I can paint weights in that one but as soon as I change to another bone or change the manipulator it returns to cero value..... I did mirror to the weights using the "mirror skin weights option" in maya and every thing is ok exept that vertex.....all the vertex weights are mirrored correctly but this one is not.

Can anyone help me with this problem?

should I upload images?

Replies

• juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok maybe my english fails me really bad so here its the problem in images

this is the vertex in the component editor window
    23u9zjm.jpg

This is the vertex in the paint skin weights tool
    2d10f11.jpg

now the vertex wieght painted
    27xoz79.jpg

any kind of operation performed after(in this case another joit/bone selected)
    2me52.jpg

and back to the beginning
    s46uzo.jpg

This is completely annoying, is the only vertex in the whole mesh doing this.....

Please help.......
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    always hard to say, as there are so many things that could be the origin of the problem. vertex weight can be locked, too many influences, etc..
    i would try to manually weight it: select vertex, go to component editor, go to smooth skin tab and manually type the weight in. see if this works.
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @fade1 thanks man, I tried that before but didn't accomplish anything.....check this

23u9zjm.jpg
    2i1du1f.jpg

Those are 2 different vertex the second one have a bone assigned but the first one ( the one with the problem have none)....
    is there anyway to assing a bone to that vertex in the first image???
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    strange. but i had problems like this, when bone influences where to far away for mayas auto-weight. but i could edit it via the component editor..
    try this: select both vertices and then go to the component editor. now you might be able to add an influence value for that unweighted vert.
    or try the weight hammer on that vertice. or you could try to copy weighting on that vertice.
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juguefre wrote: »
    I tried that before but didn't accomplish anything.

try to select 2 vertices. in the component editor the normal vertex should show all the joints. now pick one of the joints and type 1.0 into the column for your problem vertex. that should have some effect and assign weight to your problem vertex. does that work?
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that makes so much sense and I really felt it was going to work ....until I did it and fail....

this right before pressing enter
    6edjde.jpg

and this is right after hitting the enter key
    1sjuhw.jpg

thank you both for the help, have any more ideas about this problem?
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 wrote: »
    or try the weight hammer on that vertice. or you could try to copy weighting on that vertice.

weight hammer? sorry man I don't know how to do that...well in fact I would love to know how to copy the weight from one single bone or in this case one single vertex.....

What I did was a mirror skin weights and the other leg is completely ok, the whole mirror is ok, everything but this vertex.....
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    select your problem vertex.
    enter paint smooth skin weights tool.
    select any joint.
    set brush opacity to 1.0 and value to 1.0.
    press flood.

???
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gray no man it goes back to cero again once I do something else......also I can't do the smooth at 1 value but did the flood in both tools(smooth and replace) and didn't work with any of those.....
  • gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    select your object.
    enter paont smooth skin weights tool.
    change Mode: to select.
    select your pain in the ass vertex.
    change Mode: back to paint.
    click weight hammer next to the Tools:.

if that dos not work then i would dupe your joints and your model. make sure they have no stray nodes attached. and set up a new skin deformer. then do a copy weights and see how that works. i suspects it is local to that specific deformer and rig and the problem will not show up on a clean deformer.

there are other things you can do but they are more complicated and may involve scripts from creative crash etc.
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OH damn.....nothing.... what should I do to "dupe" my joints and model?.....
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    just one more question: are there verts on the position?
    what happens if you detach your model and rebind it. is the weighting still missing?
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FIXED!!!!!! oooh like 6 hours trying to fix this and was really simple......

just duplicate the model, delete history in 1 of them, bind that skin, selec the other model and then the newly bind model and copy skin weights....right after fix the annoying vertex and is done.......so simple but I never did this before.....
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks fade1 and gray is good to have some help when you are in throuble.
  • juguefre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 wrote: »
    what happens if you detach your model and rebind it. is the weighting still missing?

as a matter of fact that was the key, I delete the history and rebind it and after that the vertex worked again.............but what caused the problem in first place?
  • fade1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    probably soemthing in the history of your mesh. ;)
    if you have your old file, select the mesh and go to the attribute editor. there are numerous tabs there, some of them history nodes. my guess is, some of them might clash with your edits.
    i always try to delete history before i bind a mesh...