Home Technical Talk

photoshop marmoset texturing advice...

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
everytime i try and see how my texturing is working on my model I go to "save as", save it as a targa (I work in a PSD), click 3 times to confirm and then go back into marm, where the texture has already updated. A single button press would be heaven! is there a better way to do it than the latter?

Thanks guys!

Replies

• SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    record an action? or use these quick save maps, or vtools , qsave to save directly in the format
    you want where you want.
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Ive tried using the photoshop action before, it doesn't save over the existing targa, so I would have to go into marm and reload it manually so it would work out to being the same anyways.
    Ill look into those other things you've mentioned though. I appreciate it a lot!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    qSave rocks. And QuickSaveMaps recently went open source as well, but I haven't tried it myself.
  • keelhauler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keelhauler polycounter lvl 11
    Another vote for qSave. Makes going between Photoshop and Marmoset really painless.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's the right place to ask: How do you guys updating gloss map in the marmoset?Since gloss information stored in alpha map of specular,it's going to be painful when putting gloss map into the alpha map of the specular every time you want to update.Or am I missing something,thanks?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Well, you'd just for the mean time save out the gloss map as it's own image? Then when you're done, chuck it in the alpha channel. I just got marmoset in the sales and qsave is awesome, thanks for brining it up!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah igi, I've been complaining about not having a separate gloss channel for quite a while ;-)

For now, I've made a PS action to copy the channels around.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Why don't you use the PSD file in Toolbag, instead of TGA? It's much quicker in my opinion... Just save and it updates.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    I knew there's some workarounds,but it's a bit non-sense to not having a separate slot for gloss maps.Quick or not it adds one more action to workload.Would be hassle if you're like me and update the textures for every single new detail ;)
    I'll try to make some actions,currently have no idea how to do them,but will try.
    jramauri wrote: »
    Why don't you use the PSD file in Toolbag, instead of TGA? It's much quicker in my opinion... Just save and it updates.

Are you talking about gloss maps?Is there a case sensitive option in marmoset like reading the naming of groups in psd?Otherwise I didn't understand how does installing psd files would work faster then using auto-save .tga scripts ?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    igi, in your case having the gloss map as its own image only adds two steps which each only need to be done once? Unless I'm not understanding what you're doing. The problem is that marmoset can't read the alpha as gloss, right?

in the case of a psd, it could save having to use qsave (In both methods you have to manually hide groups/layers for each map) - but not every program might support .psd files, and in some cases you might be updating your texture to check dds or other compression. .psd won't help with that.
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    Not exactly.My problem is about losing time and exluding a compulsory step in my workflow,I have to put my gloss into the alpha of specular for every time I need to update.I'm aware of qsave and though jramauri mentioned using psd maps entirely instead of tgas and I wanted to know his point.

ctrl+a and then ctrl+c gloss map,click on the alpha channel of specular and ctrl+v.You see it takes time and it's not practical to do a few times in a minute,am I complaining too much or missing something?
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    a few times in a minute

I hope that's an exaggeration. If you're spending more time saving and checking your art, than actually making it in the first place, then you're doing something very, very wrong.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    igi wrote: »
    Are you talking about gloss maps?Is there a case sensitive option in marmoset like reading the naming of groups in psd?Otherwise I didn't understand how does installing psd files would work faster then using auto-save .tga scripts ?

No, I'm talking about a PSD file for specular, with its own alpha channel. I use to use a PSD for diffuse, another for specular and so on.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For people using a single psd for their textures it's definitely annoying to have to copy the gloss over, and over, and over again..
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    GeeDave wrote: »
    I hope that's an exaggeration. If you're spending more time saving and checking your art, than actually making it in the first place, then you're doing something very, very wrong.
    Not everytime but honestly sometimes I found myself doing it,and for sure I'm not painting gloss map 24/7.Just wished for more reasonable way to do that.
    jramauri wrote: »
    No, I'm talking about a PSD file for specular, with its own alpha channel. I use to use a PSD for diffuse, another for specular and so on.
    I'd say no,to me It's easier to work with auto save tools that saves the groups of the psd file into separate tga files.But dunno,it could vary on the subject you're working on.

cptSwing wrote: »
    For people using a single psd for their textures it's definitely annoying to have to copy the gloss over, and over, and over again..
    I feel your pain man.

In marmoset I gotta work on the gloss in more afterthought manner,without too much doubt.
  • Bertmac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bertmac polycounter lvl 17
    eeh just make an action with vTools. its very easy.

here is mine ( yes i know a bit of a mess but it works):
    this saves the alpha to the diffuse and the gloss to the spec and its activated with F14.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made this extension just for saving over textures again and again. Its incredibly annoying I agree. This isn't as feature rich as some of the other scripts people have linked but I sorta prefer a simpler floating interface.

http://www.artofnickmiller.com/TexSav.html

EDIT: I work with each texture in their own PSD. So if you work out of one PSD this may not be for you.