Home Technical Talk

Turntable - Show-off - Tips and Advice?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
Hey peeps,

I was wondering if you guys had any tips about turntables and such to show off stuff.

An example of what I mean: Turntable, should I be rotating the lights alongside the mesh, or should I rotate the camera around the mesh?

This is also related to my previous question, since I made custom shaders, how do I show them off? Should I just show them on a sphere and cube? Or a specific model must be used, etc?

And since I'm using custom shaders, how should I show them off on my turntable, especially for stuff like complex eye shaders, which would benefit better from rotating the camera instead of the mesh?

I know it's sound like I'm complicating things, but after an hour or two of watching show-off-reels (especially lacking in technical side of things) I'm confused what the best course of action is.

Cheers!

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Good points, any ideas if a video would better serve in this case or images?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Both are good. An image offers a nice sharp high-res view, and add a video to show it in motion (lighting changes, topology moving, etc.).

It helps to show a nice model when you're showing off shaders, not just a teapot or sphere.

It's also helpful to show before/after comparisons... standard shader vs. yours.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    what about using unity or the latest flash or p3d etc to show it in 3D, is that getting more acceptable? I still use both images and a unity link because I know people dont necessarily have unity. If its interactive 3d maybe people can look at what they are personally interested in.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D plugins and Flash viewers are still going to be passed over by some reviewers. You don't want to require someone to install a plugin to view your work, or sit through a loading progress bar. You can add plugin content, but it's still best to have 2D images as your main portfolio source. They're hands-down the quickest way for portfolio reviewers to see your work and make their judgement.

This remains excellent advice, to this day.
    http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/