Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Stefan Groenewoud

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I can get some feedback on my portfolio. I'm having a hard time finding junior position(s). So I'd like to improve my portfolio to have a better chance at a decent job. All crits are welcome!

http://www.stefangroenewoud.com/

Cheers,

Stefan

Replies

• AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    Your realistic and stylized wood textures let down your portfolio. Being assaulted by those none tiling and not very well made textures at the end of a nice portfolio are a bad Idea.. the dirt one isn't that bad though.

Other pieces are nice but it took me a while to realize that I could move the renders up and down once I clicked on them.
  • nathanbarrett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    Your work is really good! However, (and I'm being a bit of a hypocrite here), anyone who views your portfolio will be unsure as to what you are. I've always been told that portfolio need to be tailored, however at the moment, I am unsure if you're trying to get a job as a prop designer, a gun modeller, or an environment artist...
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 12
    Since your images are one large image with all the thumbnails, I suggest you swap out the pop-up viewer and have it load the image source(like when you right click > open in new tab) or break them up into individual images and still use the pop-up viewer. Like AzzaMat said, it took my awhile to realize you scroll vertically to see the entire image.
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Ditch the pillar and cargo container as they are so generic, the props in the 1st environment are more interesting than them.

Also ditch the textures section as I don't think they add anything. If you want to showcase your tiling textures you should do that in the break down of your finished environments, which leads me to...

You need to show more break downs of your environments & props, wireframes showing your topology, textures showing how you have unwrapped them etc. Breaks downs to demonstrate you have an understanding of budgets and being organised and efficient.

I don't really like the way you view each piece, took awhile to realise you can scroll down, your gun props looks good but the images are too small, at the moment I see more detail in your thumbnail image!

Also in your resume the about bit seems a bit negative 'I am focussed on making 3D-art but I'm only capable of making assets and environment pieces but I also have experience in modelling vehicles and weapons.'

You should put your strengths are in making asset and environments but I also have experience in vehicles and weapons.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Nice guns, decent props, meh pillar. Your sci-fi scene is definitely your most appealing piece. You're missing all of the breakdown, construction and texture shots. Your other two environments are much weaker, but still show some progress.

Keep working on your next environment and really push the lighting, color scheme and shader/material work and lighting. What people responded to the most in your sci-fi scene wasn't necessarily the quality of the props, but the colors, lighting and atmosphere you captured with it. More times than not, that is what makes a great environment.

You're on the right track, man. With more time and effort, you'll develop a really nice portfolio. I like what I'm seeing! :)
  • rockstar6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rockstar6 polycounter lvl 11
    thanks everybody for the quick feedback! It was really helpfull, I'll take this into account asap. Much appreciated =]

Cheers
  • toren3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toren3d polycounter lvl 7
    Ditch the WIP (post it once it's done) and ditch the script/pop-up image viewer, like the others said, just go for a separate page with a big view of that image instead.

Otherwise, I think your work is good. The HP guns are nice, and you've got some great props in there.
  • Maffew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maffew polycounter lvl 8
    The preview for the pillar looks a lot better than the image it opens. is the link correct?

Edit: It's the scrolling problem again.