Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] female warrior

Thousand
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Thousand polycounter lvl 9
Hi,

so I´m in too... working on a female warrior, not sure yet which category it will fit in...

so this is the concept, thanks to zlide for this beautiful, sexy concept!!

Female_Warrior_Lineart_by_ZliDe.jpg

one question to mixamo:

what would be better: to create the weapon shown in the concept and submitting it in the "beast" category? or should I create daggers instead and submit it to the "assassins" category?

will post some highres sculpts soon!

edit: FINAL SUBMISSION + ANIMATION:
14998 tris

maehring_female_assassin_BEAUTY2.jpg

maehring_female_assassin_BEAUTY3.jpg

maehring_female_assassin_CONSTRUCTION.jpg

maehring_female_assassin_TEXTURES.jpg

I have rendered out a walk cycle in marmoset, just to see how it works; here´s the result:

mov:
http://www.storage.maehring.at/CGpics/120901_MC_walkMarmoset_01big.mov

zip file:
http://www.storage.maehring.at/CGpics/120901_MC_walkMarmoset_01big.zip

rigged and animated with mixamo tools

11.7 MB

the movie seems to be too big to show the playback controls; so it doesn´t play in google chrome (at least on my machine); firefox plays it automatically; best thing is to download it and play looped

Replies

• jeebs
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    beautiful concept :) when was it drawn?, because in the middle I see a year 2009 if I'm correct.
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    then I guess it was drawn in 2009 :)

I found it while looking for reference; in the first place I thought I would just use it as inspiration, but then I wanted to recreate it...

we´ll see if I can make it...
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Nope you can't, because if you read the rules, you have to do a concept by yourself OR a friend can do one for you especially for the contest.

Taking a random awesome already-made concept is prohibed, verbotten, vietato, interdit.

Don't know how many times I said that ^^.
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    so it´s about doing the concept especially for the contest? I don´t think so.

this is not so obvious in the rules:

"By submitting to the Mixamo Fantasy War Character Contest you agree that you did all the hard work and didn't buy the character online or steal the images. Submitting stolen images or a copyrighted character is in direct violation of the rules and probably some serious laws. Doing so will get you disqualified, and totally shamed by your peers."

another quote from mixamo:
    "A new character is recommend and starting the WIP is assuming your starting after the contest has begun. If you have an older work there is no rule "against" it but to be far it would be nice to start something new."

I asked Zlide if I could use the concept, she said yes and did further conceptual work (backside, weapon etc.). Just to get things clear.
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    another quote from mixamo:
    "A new character is recommend and starting the WIP is assuming your starting after the contest has begun. If you have an older work there is no rule "against" it but to be far it would be nice to start something new."

This was an answer to Airborn's question about taking an ancient character of his own instead doing a new one, it's not about taking an ancient concept...

Well, I suppose that Mixamo could clarify this but they don't really look to care about fairplay. And I suppose I have nothing to say too.

I'm just amazed to see how many people try to "cheat" because they lack the skills/time to create something, as it's a character creation contest. Everybody could take an awesome character, ask the permission and say "oh yeah it has been made by a friend some years ago but it's ok".

At least you admit to be unfair.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    oh the drama =P I think its wierd to, but mixamo set the rules, so whatev, guess wer the once being stupid, not taking advantage of the rules =P

anyhow, I like the character, looks cool, hope u finnish in time, you dont have much left, so the already finnished concept might be the only way you can finnish in time anyways.

:)
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    so here is some highres stuff; i will start with the lowres now, as time is running out, as lotet mentioned ;)

i started the character about 3 weeks ago

120811_MC_ASSASSIN_CharSheet.jpg

120811_MC_ASSASSIN_20_BC.jpg

hope you like it!

there´s so much i would like to improve (most of all porportions and modeling of head and hair) - but i will try to do that as soon as the lowres is ready

crits and comments are very welcome, of course!
  • jeebs
    Offline / Send Message
    jeebs polycounter lvl 11
    wow that was fast :) looks great
  • ZliDe
    To clear things up a bit: (I'm the creator of the artwork)
    We know each other a bit longer now and i'd call us friends. I can confirm that he neither stole it from me, nor "bought" the concept - he had my permission from the very beginning. It's true, i did not draw it especially for that contest but i'd instantly redraw it just for him and the contest, if that's the only problem.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    holy highpoly batman! that looks sweet! nice work, the armor turned out great in 3D

my only crit COULD be the face, since its not anime style, but my guess is u didnt wanna go for that. she DOES have some sort of armor/paint thingie on the face wich actually looked quite awezome, I think you should ad that.
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, lotet! i will add the armor/paint thing in the face, thanks for reminding me!

i want to do the lowres now as quick as possible (where the hell did pixologic put the transparency/backface settings for retopology using zspheres????) and then tweak head and everything else using the lowres, at least that´s the plan.

also zbrush keeps crashing during retopo, i might have to do it in maya...

it´s really a shame that pixo won´t provide a proper documentation as well as these so important basic functions like backface culling adjustments for retopo...

edit: the transparency/backface settings for retopology using zspheres are placed within the preferences>draw menu :)
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    wireframe + normal map test

i did the retopo in topogun, normal map baking in xnormal

MC_FW_NM_01.jpg

MC_FW_wf_01.jpg

and some highres updates:

added some detail and corrections before starting to bake
    i am going to tweak proportions and expression using the lowres

120822_MC_ASSASSIN_06_BC.jpg

120822_MC_ASSASSIN_07_BC.jpg

120822_MC_ASSASSIN_08_BC.jpg
  • EggplantNinja
    This is crazy... >_<; Too amazing to comprehend.
  • kenkennang
    AWESOME!!!! this might get an award! \m/

btw, on your armor, what is it, textures? or just matcap?
  • Evanescfan
    wow...
    this is amazing
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for your replies!

@ kenkennang (from connecticut?:)): I have put just some basic colors on the model while sculpting; so most of what you see is a matcap shader; if you like, I could post it here.

i just have auto rigged the character with the mixamo auto rigger... wow wow wow!! this really works like a charm; as my basemesh consists of quite complicated geometry i wouldn´t have expected such a compelling result!

for me as a modeling and texturing artist it is an incredible tool; and the free maya control rig plugin works just as fine as the online autorigger.

here is a screenshot with the automatically generated rig controls:
    120829_MC_ASSASSIN_RIG_01.jpg

and here is a quick playblast (walk cycle, play looped):
    http://www.storage.maehring.at/TEMP/120829_MC_PB_01.mov

next step: posing:
    this is what i have in mind (now shape corrections at this point):
    120829_MC_ASSASSIN_02.jpg

120829_MC_ASSASSIN_POSE02_08.jpg
  • kenkennang
    yes mr. thousand can you post it here? btw, your animation is also superb! I REALLY love your stuffs!! for me, youre the winner!
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    so here´s the silver material:

http://www.storage.maehring.at/TEMP/silver_material.zip

thanks for your kind words; today I am going to concentrate on texturing and finishing the new daggers. unfortunately it is all one map and the new daggers have way too much UV space...

cheers
  • kenkennang
    oh thanks Mr.!

oh. i see, but i think you can separate the daggers map? (oh well thats only me) LOL. well your fantastic work uplifts us :) keep up your greatworks!
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    hello,

so here´s what i submitted, hope you like it:

maehring_female_assassin_BEAUTY2.jpg

maehring_female_assassin_BEAUTY3.jpg

maehring_female_assassin_CONSTRUCTION.jpg

maehring_female_assassin_TEXTURES.jpg
  • Mightymike
    Nice work! Amazing details...and the uv layout is insane!
  • Evanescfan
    Yeah same here on the UV layout O_O
    nice work no baking all that!

how many separate objects u got in her?
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi

@ Evanescfan: The character consists of 26 separate geometries; since I wanted to create a very detailled shape, I had a lot of extrusions (decorations etc.) for which I had to cut apart the UV-shells. But I have to admit, I like creating UV-layouts ;); but I changed the daggers in the last moment, so it is not as efficient as it could be.

Somehow I was not able to get a controllable effect from the glossmap with marmoset; I guess, I also was a bit worn out already, so I will push texturing and glossmap stuff next time.

I have rendered out a walk cycle in marmoset, just to see how it works; here´s the result:

mov:
    http://www.storage.maehring.at/CGpics/120901_MC_walkMarmoset_01big.mov

zip file:
    http://www.storage.maehring.at/CGpics/120901_MC_walkMarmoset_01big.zip

rigged and animated with mixamo tools

11.7 MB

the movie seems to be too big to show the playback controls; so it doesn´t play in google chrome (at least on my machine); firefox plays it automatically; best thing is to download it and play looped
  • Evanescfan
    Thousand wrote: »
    I like creating UV-layouts ;)

Can't blame ya, I'm guilty myself :P
  • Evanescfan
  • Gemstigma
    love the details of the armor... :)
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well tbh after that killer high poly i was expetcing a bit more from your final model.
    its cool and everything, but the diffuse and the render are a letdown.
    a bit more then just flat color*AO would have inproved your model in a big way.
    also its hard to make an asset shine on a white background.
  • Thousand
    Offline / Send Message
    hi goeddy! i appreciate your critic, you are 100% right. i would add that it would have been interesting to adjust the proportions to really fit the concept. this ist something that i will do with this character.

during the creation i ran into a common problem: texturing and rendering are the last steps, and my color/spec/gloss-texturing pipeline didn´t live up to the highres and i just didn´t have the time to get that right.

but i am so happy with the rigging and the animation, and all the tools that i have added to my pipeline (xnormal, topogun, marmoset and the mixamo tools) that it was quite a successful project for me.

will post some updates here sooner or later :)