Home Technical Talk

UV layout of large objects (Buildings, etc)

Prodigga
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Prodigga polycounter lvl 5
hey guys. I am trying to get started on some work here, but I have hit a block when it comes to creating my assets.

Say, for a large apartment building, how is the unwrapping handled? I asked a sort of similar question to Lewist in his thread here but figured i'd start my own thread. How would you handle the texturing of an object like Lewist's hut? Lewist's first texture has multiple 'tileable' textures on it, but how would the UV's be laid out to utilize that texture correctly? The only way I know to do tillable textures is like this:

uKfJb.png

But that wouldn't work with his texture, unless all the sections in his main texture (Wood/roof/rock) were split into their own separate texture files.

Secondly, using this approach would mean I would have to make everything a separate object - the roof, the walls, the wooden trimmings, etc. That just doesn't seem right?

If I instead try and pack everything in to one texture, then I wont have a very crisp looking mesh ingame. A wall that is massive on screen will only be using a portion of the entire texturemap. (Imagine an apartment building, for example)

5Ldlk.png

So again, that doesn't work ether..

Replies

• GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    The problem here is your understanding of tileable UV's. Your first image is technically correct, those UV's will provide a tiling texture, but that would not work in a scenario where you are needing to unwrap and/or include other textures on the same sheet (Like Lewists first example).

I posted this image yesterday in another thread, perhaps it will help:

tilecut.jpg

And the actual thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104238
  • Prodigga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah.

Well, is there any steps to take to unwrap my texture like that? There must be more to it then manipulating the UV's by hand. I'd imagine that it would be a massive pain in the rear to try and make sure the UV layout maps the texture without distortion if someone was to attempt to do this by hand!
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Modular building?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    check out the modular environment section of the wiki: link

it all just boils down the project, I've worked on games where assets use multiple tiling textures and one or two "bits" textures that contain things like windows, doors, lanterns, signs, etc...

I've also worked on games where environment assets could only be one draw call - so just one texture sheet.

read through the wiki and try out the various techniques. And yes, you will have to move around uv islands by hand.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prodigga wrote: »
    Well, is there any steps to take to unwrap my texture like that? There must be more to it then manipulating the UV's by hand

There's no manipulating of the UV's what so ever. In the example I posted I'm duplicating the mesh, which in-turn duplicates (thus overlapping) the UV's. The same result is achieved via face mapping on a surface with square polygons.

Not sure how to embed this on the forums (or if I even can?) but here's a maybe/maybe-not helpful video that shows the same results via a different method.
    http://www.garydave.com/jing/FaceMapTile.swf

You can generally get away with cutting shapes out of those polys, ala windows:

CutInto.png

Provided you don't skew the original UV's, you don't need to mess around with them at all.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Justin is right. I don't know what your plan for the building is, but you could easily create a 1024 texture with a few 128 or 256 horizontal tiles and then a 512 horizontal tile. Or you could also make multiple standalone textures and have them tile just horizontally, vertically, or make it square and tile in all 4 directions. You will have to do quite a bit of manual uv editing but with practice you dramatically cut down how long that will take. Also, multiple objects are fine. Though if you're using Maya you can assign different materials to different faces. I'm sure you can do that in Max but I don't know it.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You guys keep talking about the need for the UV editing, but the other thread link I posted in my first reply deals with avoiding that, and still being able to use texture atlases if required. You just do things in a different order.

Also, it's worth noting that if you are in a situation where you need to move UV's around on an atlas, it's not a job worth worrying over as 99% of the time you can complete the task with numerical inputs, as opposed to any real "manual" tweaks.

Work smart, not hard.
  • Mr Whippy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    Build what you want, and then when you 'tile' part of an atlas texture you essentially have to cut those edges into the mesh object to give the UV's something to tile on to.

GeeDave, that plugin you posted a link to almost allows you to just build however you like and then 'bakes' in the extra verts at the appropriate intervals to give the UVs something to bind to.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/texture-atlas-generator

Or, in theory you can build your original asset, UV map it with a repeating tile texture, and do what the above tool does but do it manually.

It's a bit of a messy looking approach but lets you model something more complicated and then essentially you just slice it up where you want UV coords to go to allow tiling off an atlas texture.
    You just then have to do the equivalent chopping up of the UV grid and combine it all later.

I'm generally surprised that workflow isn't supported already in 3DS Max like the script above allows.
    It seems really sensible to add geometry to tile textures to allow tiling AND atlasing to reduce render costs.

I suppose that is quite specific though so any dev team will write their own tool to optimise stuff down appropriately at the end.

My lesson from yesterday was that it's still relatively easy to atlas later even with just UVW tools in Max, and easier to tile/build per texture/material initially.
    Get your assets looking first is key, THEN worry about crunching/optimising down for your final delivery needs.
    Otherwise you simply plan too much before building and build in optimisation into your assets. Problem then is if you decide you can run a bigger texture atlas, or need more details, you are stuck finding space to fit them in etc :(

Obviously keep the optimisation in mind but try ignore it more than be a slave to it at first I guess :)

Dave
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    That automated atlas script looks very messy, moving UVs "by hand" isn't hard to do at all, especially compared to moving vertices in 3d space. If you need to rely on automated scripts your just putting yourself at a disadvantage.
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I provided the script in the other thread as I wasn't sure if Max 2010 (that Mr Whippy has) had the recent unwrap features that allowed you to group and auto-pack UV selections. You can do this task with vanilla Max now though.

Before the bake, using 4 separate tiling textures, unwrapped on a second channel using groups and auto-pack with zeroed padding + no rotation/scaling:
    BeforeBake.png

And the result:
    AfterBake.png
  • Prodigga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GeeDave, thanks for the video

I am using Blender myself, and I don't seem to have some of the features you do. I could only work out one way of getting the same results as you. First, I have to mark seams for ALL the edges, Unwrap the mesh, and then position them face UV's properly. Marking all the edges ensures all the faces are separated. The unwrap wont keep the faces as squares though - the faces will unwrap to the shape they are, and I have to organize it all myself. Here is a video:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/21307579/Modelling/tiling.swf

Fast forward 10 minutes, and I get this:
    bTTgH.png

So I guess for this method to work on a large, flat, building wall, I'd have to subdivide the wall to give me more UV's to work with hey? Makes a lot more sense now :)
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, okay.

I may have skipped over a little something though, my fault for providing a bad example but non-square faces should have non-square UV's to avoid skewing. By which I mean... err, See image:

Green lines = UV's
    2012-08-23_1029.png

There are a few ways to get the result on the right within Max without much hassle. Like preserving UVs when editing a mesh in a sub-object mode, or copying the UV's from an existing tile, or starting with the tile geometry and just cutting into/out of it.