Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

TreeGen, a 3DS Max script that generates cheap realtime trees.

Replies

• kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    chunkey do you have turned on "backface cull on object generation" in the preferences/viewports?

its just a wild guess and might change nothing though ;)
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you so much works fine so far for me.:)
  • Kovac
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Amazing work Virtuosic! I'm definitely going to play with this.
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    Played with it and did a qick try on making a snow tree, did not get the snow to get on the highest branches and have it looking decent elsewhere.

Snowtree_render01.jpg
  • culturedbum
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome tool Virtuosic, and thank you for letting us use it "fir" free!!(Thats my lame ass joke for the day)
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Awesome tool Virtuosic, and thank you for letting us use it "fir" free!!(Thats my lame ass joke for the day)

Hooooo!
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Dude this script is awesome, playing with it now. I love the controls. Excellent job man!
  • Pangahas
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Speedtree what?:D Thanks for this
  • Chunkey
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Kio: cheers fella, that fixed the issue :)

just need to get my foliage planes looking right now :D
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Fellas!

Thanks so much for all the positive feedback and suggestions. s_ource, you're doing some interesting things that i didn't anticipate, but i can add an option that gives you a consistent number of leaf meshes for each branch.

Right now the script tapers off the Base Branch Leaf Number value the higher it goes up the trunk of the tree... so for instance, if you set Branch Start # to 0, and base Branch Leaf Number to 30, there will be 30 branches on the bottom branch, and it will reduce slight the higher up the tree the branches go to compensate for the smaller branch size.

It avoids clumping at the top of the tree that would increase overdraw drastically.

I'll go ahead and add all of these great suggestions to the change list to help you guys out!

Cheers,

Ryan
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ryan,

I noticed that tabbing through the selection fields appear random in nature. It would be nice to tab down through the fields quickly.
  • SouthpawSid
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    fonfa wrote: »
    this is great!
    I've been using tree[d], but being able to do it inside max is gonna help me so much!

my story as well. Looking forward to trying this. Thanks a ton! :thumbup:
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    1-2.jpg

It looks pretty good for just messing with the settings, but it still seems a little fidgy with the vertex to spline.

With some tweaks, I think the script would be a great basis for creating foliage.

Thanks again Ryan!
  • ScottP
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottP polycounter lvl 10
    Holy effin sh!t, this is awesome!

This looks like one of the best looking tree generators i have seen or used, and its free? Awesome.

Props to you man for cranking this out and sharing it!
  • ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    good job man!!! wonder what your going to be coming up with next.
  • LeoJr
    Offline / Send Message
    LeoJr polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome job, Ryan! Thanks!
  • Envart
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    This script kicks ass. I've just been asked to model some trees and, BOOM, this little beauty pops up! Thanks very much, Virtuosic! Your kindness is only exceeded by your charm and wit.
  • nbac
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    http://wiki.polycount.com/VertexNormal?action=show&redirect=Vertex+Normal#Vertex_Normal
    an integration of this would be awesome... automitcally create reference geometry, bake vertexnormals and so on
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac wrote: »
    http://wiki.polycount.com/VertexNormal?action=show&redirect=Vertex+Normal#Vertex_Normal
    an integration of this would be awesome... automitcally create reference geometry, bake vertexnormals and so on

True, some added vertex normals tools would be awesome with it, using default geo like a sphere or something. Similair to NormalThief.
  • Mark Dygert
    I'll have to check this out =)
  • Ryan Smith
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    just add an edit normal modifier to your leaf mesh... the script just copies it to the tree. nothing will get reset.
  • KyleJensen
    Offline / Send Message
    KyleJensen polycounter lvl 12
    This looks awesome. I'll have to play around with it sometime. :D
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    You should make some icon or something that you can press to get back into the sxript on trees you have already made and crossed down the window, Maybey id excist i havent atleast seen any, and you should make the leafes to become refrences of the mesh you select and not copys so the leafes changes when you change the original obect.
  • Christian Hjerpe
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Hjerpe polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot for sharing!!

Will play around with it later today and get back to you if I have any suggestions etc
  • T.Bull
    Offline / Send Message
    T.Bull polycounter lvl 13
    What about a 'Random Button' for each parts?
  • Juzwa
    played a bit adding some keys, however the script does not respond id like it to. cant find in curve editor keys i made.

@edit: kk found it :) but have no idea how to make the spline (trunk) act less randomly between my keys. Does it make any sense? :)

@edit:edit: heh, found that one as well, seed in the shape stack :) works just fine :)
  • ghostgirl
    I'm really enjoying working with this. If by any chance you're compiling a wishlist of additional features, I'd totally love to see the following:

--presets for types of trees (i.e. pine like, full deciduous)
    --the ability to save out a configuration so you can pull it up later
    --the ability to add sub-branches to the branches

So far love it, haven't had any chugging problems. It's been very easy to get a good base mesh with ability to customize further, and in general I can see this as a permanent addition to my workflow. Thanks!
  • Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
    EDIT: SOLVED... :poly122: I didn't realise that you were to create a seperate mesh for leaves, thought it also generated them not only constraining them. Good tool though!..and (now) easy!

I don't know if it's a bug but I can't create leaves for my trees, I've looked at the video but it's not clear. I first generated the tree, then I presume you select the branches and then 'add selection', then told I can't add leaves from the active tree... I've tried a few other things but I can't seem to any leaves on my trees!.. I've also changed the pivot points as said on the first page but no difference
  • OccultMonk
    Offline / Send Message
    OccultMonk interpolator
    This script works great!

Would it be possible to easily replace the trunk and main branches meshes? Just a button to select a trunk mesh and a main branches mesh?

The number of segments should be separate for the "guide splines" and the tree trunk/branches mesh. That way you can have an evenly subdivided mesh but still have the angles (not the gradual round curves) that a tree has in it's trunk and branches.
  • leviatan1001
    Awesome. I was creating the same tool some days ago for my new scene xD So... I feel a mix of happyness and dissapointment xD Weird feeling indeed :D
    All I can say, is that its perfect.
    I have a request, what about a bit of fractal idea?. Branches in branches...
    Also, an optimization, less segments in the upper branches, based o size.
    Ill post my results soon.
    Thanks for this!
  • Zikku
    Wow, I just used this to make a pretty sweet tree! Thanks so much!!! <3

Just a suggestion (because I like the look of those crazy trees in New Zealand), but you should add in a roots section too. Like a check box to have roots, and then options to make them curly and crazy too (:
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Hey Ryan, I've been using this for a couple of days and I'm really loving it! It does seem to me to lack a few features that would make it much easier to use and less... um, 'frustrating' in places!
    • My biggest issue is that once you start tweaking and moving splines around, if you touch any of the treegen settings, the tree will 'reset' itself and you will loose your changes. This came up a couple of times when I was moving branches and then found I needed to tweak the leaf settings after the fact. A solution I would propose would be a 'lock/unlock' checkbox for Trunk Branches and Leaves. You use the branch controls and then check 'lock'. now when you twiddle with the leaf controls treegen only affects the leaves and the branches don't flicker about or reset.
    • This leads me to the +/- spinners on some options. When you have a variation value plugged in, while you scale other options the branches or leaves will 'flicker' furiously between variations and this makes it hard to see what you are trying to do or what effect another spinner is having. At the moment I leave the +/- spinners blank until the very end, but it would be nice if I could just check them off while I adjust something else instead of having to reset them to 0 and then finding the right number later.
    • Lastly, I would be nice to be able to adjust the curve of the branch lengths as they go up the tree. At the moment the bottom-most two branches tend to be very long, and I find the upper branches too short. I just end up tweaking the splines later.

Sorry for the wall of text! I hope it makes sense, and sounds reasonable. Other features other people have already mentioned; the ability to save presets, fractal branches. I love the plugin, thanks for all the work you've put into it! :poly121:

edit: oh, it would be nice if it warned you before you exit if you havn't baked the tree yet!
  • sebi3110
    Hey Ryan, great tool :)
    Is there any chance that you update this tool with some nice improvements that were suggested here in the topic? :)
  • Darkleopard
    Looks awesome! Make it for maya to!
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    i've been dreaming about a script like this. and they say dreams don't come true. thank you man!
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    that looks really good. have to check this out!
  • G.I.Gig
    Wow pretty nice tool.

Yeah the normal align suggestion is great idea,

Better Default Object Naming!:
    Object Name system by user. (Can give basename+basenumber for the bake, then Under-slash, then part(if its trunk branch or leaf) then a number again. in this way its easier to work with.

You could chose if u want Random object color or you can specify one for branches, trunks and leafs separately. Or by leaf versions.

Drag and drop material choosing. (Improves interface speed)

Secondary branches with secondary leaves. More details cuter closeup trees.

A 'remember' modifier on tree trunk or tree helper(or instanced on all objects). It has 2 list of scene object, where you can easily select the leaves or branches of the selected tree by name.
    Also it could also contain some option settings like a noise phase parameter for wind etc...

also if the light comes from above the cheats of the tree are pretty visible, you should do something with the secondary branches, or some special features to put some planes from above or something...
  • Mr Whippy
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    I've just given it a quick try again and sorely miss some controls that are more common in Tree[d] for instance... being able to change the 'roundness' of the tree (how fast the top branches shrink vs lower ones)
    I also got in some trouble trying to collapse the tree after I'd closed the dialogue box for it (it shouldn't let you close it till you've baked it?)

All in I could see myself using this if it had a few more controls. Spline management that allows you to save edited paths would be nice... so you can kinda skip forward and backward through the build process. Right now it's very lossy and you have to work forward in a specific fashion, and ending with a bake is almost essential without having headaches later trying to export/collapse the mesh.

For free though this is amazing. Set your workflow, plan things before building, and it seems to work nicely indeed!

Did anyone see that university project where someone filmed trees and a computer algorithm generated trees with the correct skeleton of branches etc? It looked very powerful.

Maybe only a few more years and we can just film some footage of trees we like and feed some coefficients into a vert/pixel shader :D;)

Dave
  • Mr Whippy
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Whippy polycounter lvl 7
    Ok I've been playing with this a bit more.

I'm curious how people approach LOD's.

Do you render out a version of the tree with normals/alpha etc so it's a 2d plane, and place it after say 200m?

Do you do this for clumps of trees so they are one batch?

Just wondering how to optimise when you use this approach manually.

Current thoughts are to use one atlas for a whole bunch of trees, then I can bunch a whole clump of trees (maybe 20) into one batch.
    Then I can have a few 2d plane or X trees as LOD models with appropriate textures on them.
    Thinking it'd be interesting to put these textures in the mipmap channels of the DDS so I save on memory in RAM, since up close we see the poly tree and high-end mip, on distant trees we will only ever see the mip, so use mips for those trees?

Main stumbling block I can see is that depending on viewing angle the pop from 3D to 2D imposter will be obvious to the viewer...
    Has anyone implemented a shader to blend between the LOD models like SpeedTree does?

Hmmm

Thanks

Dave
  • TheMajor
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMajor polycounter lvl 10
    This looks very useful! Thanks
  • kaz2057
    Have you any trick to create LOD and billboard from generated 3d TreeGen?

Thanks
  • phenix
    Nice script,very helpful !
    But I don't understand how to add leaves to tree,can anyone explain to me how do that,please ?
  • Vaile Cearo
    Offline / Send Message
    Vaile Cearo polycounter lvl 5
    Alright, I'm still pretty new to this. I gather that this script doesn't actually make the leaves. So How should I make the leaves to use with the script? Also not even some of the 3ds max basic textures are showing up when I try to add bark, how can I fix this?

I'm sure I can figure all of this out on my own with enough dilly dallying, tinkering, and what have you. But if anyone can help me figure it out faster they'd be awesome. XD
  • armagon
    Offline / Send Message
    armagon polycounter lvl 11
    Has this been abandoned? It's amazing!
  • Polynurb
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynurb polycounter lvl 15
    armagon said:
    Has this been abandoned? It's amazing!
    Necro post here. I don't think it's fully abandoned, but people seem to have lost interest in this amazing little tool. I am just starting to use it in 3ds max 2015 and it's working okay. Some issues I'm seeing are, the bark texture won't apply to the trunk or branches using the tool's button (I was trying to apply a procedural checker texture map so maybe that's it?). I'm also noticing that the leaves are all only appearing on one side of each branch. They are not populating all the way 360 degrees around each branch. I've tweaked a ton of settings and none seemed to have resolve that.