Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted Fantasy pistol

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Cordero polycounter
hello!

it's me again with another weapon finished..

This is my very first hand painted texture! No additional textures and stuff... which is a very new way for me..

Learned a lot from this pistol, and I hope to learn more by putting it out here, and ask for some crits on it!

only diffuse, 586 triangles, bassed on torchlight concept.

So feel free to comment or ask anything ;)

pistolbycorderostorm.jpg

Replies

• beaulamb1992
    Looking good! feels like the wood needs abit of contrast though, try add a few more highlights see what it looks like :)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    This looks really nice :] I like how fine your details are. Agreed about popping some highlights on the wood, maybe just where the larger cuts are.
  • AzzaMat
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    looks nice but I don't quite get why the pistol would be made out of wooden planks, wouldn't it make more sense to be made out of one piece of wood like an actual gun is?
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Could we possibly be so lucky as to see those texture flats? :D But yeah, this is badass. Makes me want to get back into hand painting again for some portfolio work. Awesome stuff man. Couldnt add anything more to what has already been said. Its all about pushing urself to that next level
  • tsabszy
    Offline / Send Message
    tsabszy greentooth
    looks great! really nicely done! i guess it didn't hurt to throw the mouse away :) love the colors ;)
  • JR
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    It's a pretty cool work, sir. As our fellows said before, wood needs more love. Some highlights and a bit more of contrast. But this is just the cherry on top of the cake, it´s really great by now.
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Hm, I'm going to disagree with everyone about the wood. I think the wood you have doesn't need more contrast, just brightness (same as the metal, though you could boost the metal contrast as well). And I agree with Azzamat...it would be better if it wasn't would planks, but solid blocks instead.

From my own experience, adding too much contrast really makes it noisy with hand painted textures.

Anywho, looks great for your first try and can't wait to see more from you
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looking pretty close. The lighting or something is throwing off the wood I think. Maybe try pushing the brightness up on the wood like Selaznog is saying.

The texture looks a smidge blurry too. You might want to sharpen it up some.
  • TehSplatt
    Offline / Send Message
    TehSplatt polycounter lvl 11
    This is very awesome haha
  • Cordero
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    beaulamb1992: thanks!

Jessica Dinh: oh wow.. thanks! checked your website, and ur work is really amazing! I used to stare at one of your tileable rock textures to catch something I could use on my textures :D

AzzaMat: well, I splitted it up in to multiple planks because I think this way it's more interesting visually.. but perhaps you are right, and I should keep functionality a bit more in the foreground! thanks ;)

Add3r: haha you must get back to hand painting its the best! :D and yes, here below are the flat screenshots from max viewport.. and I think this gun already is my next level :D but I know what you mean, thanks ;)

tsabszy: oh but it did :( tore my heart apart to leav ma' mouse :D so I help in occasionally with my old style :D

jramauri: thank you! I'm glad you like it!

Selaznog: haha I hope to make more for sure! Thanks for the feedback!

Jeff Parrott: haha it does look a bit blurry! haven't noticed it, will look in to that! thanks ;)

TehSplatt: thanks!

Took all your advices, and messed around with highlights,brightness and contrast.
    I think this might be a bit better?

weapon040502.jpg
  • linkov
    Offline / Send Message
    linkov polycounter lvl 10
    looking good, but it needs highlight inside of that big barrel. looks like a giant black hole, almost shapeless.
  • wolver
    the inset for the gold screws would define the screws shape a bit better if it was grey like the rest of the metal, and not gold. looks like a gold screw with a gold washer at the mo.
    otherwise looking ace : ]
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, to be honest don't see much of a difference between this and the last one
    Personally I think this cartoony style would better match brighter colours. Played with the levels a bit in PS, hope you dont mind :P
    (just my opinion by the way, I suppose it really depends on the type of game it's for)
    12xf8.png

EDIT: One thing you probably should change is the gold ring around the bolts; that part would be the same colour as the grey metal because the bolts are inset
  • Cordero
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    paintforge: thanks! wanted to leave another color in there just for the mix ;)

Selaznog: haha I don't mind at all! I see ur point now ;)

pistolbycorderostorm.jpg

probably final thank you all for the feedback! <3
  • Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    You fixed the screws :D Looks much better, and yeah I would call that finished!
  • beaulamb1992
    Agree looks much better now :D great work :)
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Really cool! Very Torchlight.
  • Cordero
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordero polycounter
    Selaznog: thanks for your help! glad you like the outcome!

beaulamb1992: thanks ;)

Fomori: thanks!
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Love this gun like Selaznog says needs a little more push on being brighter/colorful.
    I'd save out yours then make one you want to test some ideas on, also hope you don't mind.

I did a quick cheat pass on your render with dodge on midtones 5-9% just to show you what I mean, as Selaznog did just not as intense. :)