Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK[ Diner Siege - Environment -

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
So a few days ago I started my new environment. I was inspired a concept by Nikola Sinitca. Concept

This diner was closed down, and abandoned for a little while. The downtown bandits already "owned" that section of downtown, so they used it as a small hangout, and city watch.

-Not the greatest story in the world, but its at least something I can work off of :)

Here is my progress so far:

7653187894_8b09fe1caf_h.jpg

Replies

• Marchwarden
    That huge overpass is awesome, for some reason it's my favorite part of the scene. Nice progress for just a few days, keep it up.
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Gonna look great when background gets finished!Subscribed!
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
  • Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    is this going to be a piece that has more than three renders? I really dug your last piece but would love to see something you could walk around in (i.e video) keep up the good work.
  • Rapture117
    I think those are stars :P. Awesome looking scene btw....digging that bridge!
  • wasabi
    Hey... take your time.... you just finished that awesome overgrown scene like last week and your are on another project already? You are a Machine..!!! haha..
    Love what you have so far....!!
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :) I may make a real-time video when it's done.

UPDATE: The buildings in the back are placeholders till I make better ones.

7658889718_d3c4896284_h.jpg
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    Really good looking!
    I think that "Open" graffiti would look a bit more interesting if it was in red color,the steam getting out of sewer should be more whitish,more transparent and should rise to high heights.Maybe it would be nice to see some signs with bullet holes put behind the planks that are on the windows.Are you thinking of placing some crashed/destroyed cars on parking that is on theleft side?
    You could get some more ideas from movie Mad Max
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,
    I gotta fix that steam, and I may add more bullet holes. I have never made a vehicle before haha so I can try :p

In this update I fixed a lot of the buildings and also moved the fence a lot closer.

7662930986_25d2cbad00_h.jpg
  • MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Man this is looking great! Awesome work, inspired me man. Overpass looks sweet.
  • peanut™
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, kinda looks pretty awsome. You make me wanna do my own environment.
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    One more critique there is some obvious tiling on the diner pole.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, this one won't take as long to make as my Overgrown City but, there are a few things I may touch on, and update before I finish it.
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Great work on your last environment and this one is looking greats as well.

I am still pretty new, however I wanted to ask a question.

Its crazy how fast the pro's are at making environments. You have made two great looking environments with in a month or two? How is it that pro's are able to produce so quickly?

Maybe I am just too into the details, or I am just still learning the ropes or I am just work the wrong way. I have learned with my current project that most people work from large objects to small objects because the larger objects get more face time and consume more of the image and have bigger texture maps. Also level of detail for sure.

Having a good concept will keep you focused. Having a tight schedule would also help.

What other things help you keep on track and producing quickly?

Thanks for your time.
  • Krissleh
    Offline / Send Message
    Krissleh polycounter lvl 5
    Chiming in with my 2 cents. I love the concept here, and like others above, I think the overpass gives it a very nice feeling.

The entire scene reads as very clean to me, though. It seems that it should be much more gritty. Cities are dirty places, and I can't imagine that the thugs spend much time wiping off windows and picking up trash. I think a lot of dirt and grime would collect in the corners, and form a glaze over the walls and glass.

I'm no professional, though! Just my gut feeling.

I also like the little touch with the neon sign on the left saying "DIE"
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on the interior lately, still some stuff to do!

7686737148_26a2ce6e61_h.jpg

7686734486_e7c7310802_h.jpg

@ Zerostrike - Thanks I appreciate it. Well it depends on how much time you have, and how much time you use. I try and take advantage of every minute I have. Usually when I can't work I think about what I want to work on, and go over plans - then when I am able to work I don't waste any time and can get straight to work. Some people just take longer than others though (not a bad thing at all)

I tend to stay away from a lot of distractions ( facebook, TV, polycount , ect) while I work - I do take breaks though (while the lighting builds or just at random) because working for a very long time can stress me out. I don't really think about "how quick can I get this done" or anything I just do the work. I hope this helps! if not feel free to ask more questions :)

@ Krissleh - Thanks, I hope this update touched on what you were suggesting :) I can make it a lot dirtier and probably will next update.
  • Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    this is shaping up nicely! only thing I can crit is the paper on the floor is too uniform but I am sure you would spot that... apart from that, I think it looks great! really glad to see closer shots of your work too.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    this is shaping up really well.

you may want to take a second look at your pavement texture. right now its structure sort of looks like desaturated sand.

i love the big graphic forms in the exterior shot, and i think theyre jiving with the very noisy blood splatters that youve been doing. id recommend bulking those stains up significantly.

a few sandbags are cool, but right now there so many that it almost defies internal consistency. it feels a bit like the worse examples of fallout 3 environment design. you may want to switch some of them up with dumpsters, tables, car husks, etc

finally its a minor point but that steam from the manhole is a great touch, but right now its so small. go hard with it, bulk it up. its like the bloodstains sort of... you have an economy of time to spend on each of these things, so why not make each one a more significant element?
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I added some new things and fixed a few things that hopefully help.

7692811240_377dc49e84_h.jpg

7692816620_1da679f299_h.jpg
  • Reale
    Offline / Send Message
    Reale polycounter lvl 6
    with both this piece and your last you have levelled up a lot! gj man.
  • Quickel
    Offline / Send Message
    Quickel polycounter lvl 12
    I like how this is turning out (and I've done a diner myself before) - I would say the biggest thing you could do for your piece is work with the lighting more. The concept is much more blue with a higher contrast. If you look at the front of the diner in the concept there is a strong light on it whereas the side is much darker. Yours feels almost evenly lit and is missing the nice red light off the metal on the roof. Great job overall though.