Home General Discussion

How to start to learn Anatomy to apply for 3D

Hey guys, i finally finished my exams, took my laptop, and fly it out in Croatia to rest a bit, and also to practice modeling.

While i was modeling in max, i am learning hard surface techniques from Warwick or whatever was the guy from Vimeo.

I was wondering, how is the best way to learn anatomy, human and creature and apply that in 3D? As far as found some learning anatomy is, Riven Phoenix, and Visularium courses, but damn, Ryan needs to lower the price, i can't really pay that much.

Other thing i don;t understand is, how from 2D to apply in 3D? I have seen some guys from youtube, they start from just a zsphere in Zbrush, and make awesome creature or human in Zbrush, that's look exactly from the 2D, even better, with detail son him etc.

Should i start to learn how to draw human let's say in Photoshop, because i prefer that way, than drawing on paper.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll get things rolling with my amateur opinion and hopefully someone else will jump in and give you some actual advice =P

Based on my personal experience drawing and shading form helps me understand 3D form. I can spend a week drawing something in 2D from various angles and as I study it and try to imagine how it looks it helps form my 3D understanding of it.

In what little anatomy work I've done I started out trying to copy what I saw, but I didn't really start progressing until I stopped copying and started working on new things and trying to figure out what was wrong, what didn't work and why. Ref stopped being something that I stared at and copied but something that I checked to find out information... if that makes sense.

In one of the art classes I took an instructor said something to the effect of "there is a difference between looking at a flat image and being able to faithfully recreate it and being able to imagine how that object would look if turned and put in a new setting with different light. You aren't trying to regurgitate what you see, but rather learn enough about it that you can place it anywhere at any angle."

From there he just stressed exercises practice and perseverance. I got interested in computers, games and a bunch of other stuff so I yea take from that what you will. =P
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    Draw with pencil and paper, draw in photoshop, do sculpts while looking at an anatomy book, etc. Just do art and youll get better and understand art more.

Drawing in 2D is less about applying it to 3D and more about understanding shape, structure, value, and form. These are the basis of all visual art.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Get an anatomy book, and just try and replicate what you see in 3D. A good one for that is the George Bridgman one. That guy thinks in 3D as is, all his stuff is very form/shape oriented.

Do that for a couple of years, then profit.

Another thing I wanna add is that it's important to do it wrong. There's no way in hell your first works are gonna be any good. Just accept that. You do it wrong, then sit there pondering what went wrong, and that's how you learn. Then you do another one and another one.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Loomis, Bridgeman, Hogarth books.
    +
    ConceptArt.org < Make a sketchbook thread here, great for feedback on anatomy studies.
    +
    http://www.posemaniacs.com/ < great for random odd poses to practice
    +
    Life drawing < nudes are great but just drawing randoms on the street is good too.
    +
    Draw poses from imagination just as much as from life, replicating isn't the same as understanding.

2D & 3D are the same, there's no line in the sand, just a UI learning curve.
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, to be honest, i would prefer to watch a video and do, reading books get me
    really bored and i can't stay in focus. In videos my attention is high and i can't follow all the time.

As a beginner, and self tough. how much should i spend in day learning this stuff? I don't want to sacrifice my social life and friends.

Would like to give me some tips how did you started learning this, and how long did take you to be in place now (working your dream job, dream studio etc)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Cobe wrote: »
    As a beginner, and self tough. how much should i spend in day learning this stuff? I don't want to sacrifice my social life and friends.

Eh, as much time as you can spend? Not harder than that, you spend the time you can working on improving.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You gotta figure it's gonna take you X-amount of hours before you hit your desired goal. Don't know how much X is for you, could be 1,000 could be 10,000 hours. You do 10 hours a day, it'll take you 100 days to get to 1,000 hours. Just do the math and see how much you wanna spend. The trick is spending as much time as it's fun doing this, then a little more after, but not getting burned out.

On the books, I hear you, but understand that there are things that have been thought of and talked about for centuries now. We have that information in books. There's no need to re-invent the wheel.

When it comes to anatomy, keep in mind that it's either in the human body, or it's not. When you're watching a video of some other guy working, you're getting that artist's interpretation of reality. Not reality itself. So ultimately it should be up to you to figure it out. The books, videos, etc, are all there to help you sort things out. But ultimately it's up to you.
  • xk0be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Get an anatomy book, and just try and replicate what you see in 3D. A good one for that is the George Bridgman one. That guy thinks in 3D as is, all his stuff is very form/shape oriented.

Do that for a couple of years, then profit.

Another thing I wanna add is that it's important to do it wrong. There's no way in hell your first works are gonna be any good. Just accept that. You do it wrong, then sit there pondering what went wrong, and that's how you learn. Then you do another one and another one.

love this advice for sooo much stuff man. good stuff
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I highly recommend the anatomy studies a the bottom by Zack Petroc:
    http://www.zackpetroc.com/category/videos/
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again guys for the great replay. I found about a online course from Scott Eaton, he have 2 courses Anatomy and Zbrush sculpting. Do you guys think i should take them to learn anatomy and sculpting in Zbrush?

Also, i would like to ask, because i want to be character modeler, how to learn the proper character topology so he can be easy animated? I have tried poly wiki, but i prefer to see some video tutorial about it.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evuurybody starts off with poops tuts for beginners topo understanding, his tuts cover pretty much everything to get you started in regards to character modelling.
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't really like timelapse tutorials. I can't really follow, and it's pretty annoying me. Also he is skipping parts between modeling, how i am suppose to know what he done before and how it's done.

Anyway Thank you,
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Even though I haven't done this (yet), making a complete ecorche using something such as the book Classic Human Anatomy would probably be one of the best ways to learn the more technical aspects of anatomy (like the names of things, muscle origins and insertion points, etc).

To get a better feel for the form though, studying real living moving people is the best way. If you live near the coast, the beach is a great and totally not creepy way to do that. Just be mindful to not let people know you're staring at their uncovered bodies (sunglasses are a must, pretending to read a book can also be helpful; heck you could even bring your anatomy book). You can identify different forms and dips and creases, figuring out what exactly contributes to what you see for that specific person with that specific body type in motion(studying the range of people lets you really understand how the human form works, where muscles connect, where fat forms, and movement is super helpful for really understanding things better in a realistic and applied way; movement also reveals certain things that you wouldn't otherwise take as much note of).
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Hey guys, i finally finished my exams, took my laptop, and fly it out in Croatia to rest a bit, and also to practice modeling.

While i was modeling in max, i am learning hard surface techniques from Warwick or whatever was the guy from Vimeo.

I was wondering, how is the best way to learn anatomy, human and creature and apply that in 3D? As far as found some learning anatomy is, Riven Phoenix, and Visularium courses, but damn, Ryan needs to lower the price, i can't really pay that much.

Other thing i don;t understand is, how from 2D to apply in 3D? I have seen some guys from youtube, they start from just a zsphere in Zbrush, and make awesome creature or human in Zbrush, that's look exactly from the 2D, even better, with detail son him etc.

Should i start to learn how to draw human let's say in Photoshop, because i prefer that way, than drawing on paper.

I started learning the anatomy by drawing them. Like I draw a hand and draw its anatomy, or a chest and its anatomy, pelvis and its anatomy with thigh anatomy, neck and its anatomy and so on.

Through out my self tuition I found out that everyone have their own way of making the chest part, like some people would really define the muscles that are under the chest muscles and extremely exaggerate them along with the muscles that are under the arm. Others dont. I dont really. Reason being, even with the person with so much buffed muscles wont be able to provide that sort of structure unless he is from another realm. Plus one has to decide how much anatomy he wants to show according to the concept he is going for.

So with that said; You have to find your own medium to achieve a good anatomy style that you like and sell, but for starters. Start drawing the anatomy I am sure Chapter's art section have a classic anatomy for artists book(s) that you can buy for cheap. :)

I am saving up for stuff like this as well:

Anatomy Tools
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    If you're past the technical learning curve of sculpting then drawing will pretty much yeild immediate results.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not to sound too harsh, but all the 'I don't wanna do this, dont wanna do that, books are lame etc'... lol
    Learning anatomy isn't a quick process, you gotta put in the effort to get the results dude. Same with modelling.

Buckle down and give it ago, good luck with it what ever method you choose tho :)
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How long do you guys thing i need to get used to it in Anatomy, so i can start sculpting in Zbrush? I know that every person is different, but for example, how long you need to learn anatomy before started to descent characters?

Another thing i want to do is to plan my day, for like, to study drawing for let's say 5h per day, and to use 3D max for modeling for 2-3 hours per day, hard surface things for now?

I found that 3Dpalace has awesome hard surface tutorial, like no1 else have. I want to buy them and to model after i spend half of the day in learning drawing and anatomy.

Oh and BTw, Have you guys heard of Riven Phoenix? The structure of Man, seems awesome for someone like me.
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    There's no length of time. I've modelled a skull. It took a while, I studied references hard and emulated them as best I could. If I wanted to do another skull I'd have to study references again. Its an ongoing thing thats never finished.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How long do you guys thing i need to get used to it in Anatomy, so i can start sculpting in Zbrush? I know that every person is different, but for example, how long you need to learn anatomy before started to descent characters?

Another thing i want to do is to plan my day, for like, to study drawing for let's say 5h per day, and to use 3D max for modeling for 2-3 hours per day, hard surface things for now?

I found that 3Dpalace has awesome hard surface tutorial, like no1 else have. I want to buy them and to model after i spend half of the day in learning drawing and anatomy.

Oh and BTw, Have you guys heard of Riven Phoenix? The structure of Man, seems awesome for someone like me.

Phoenix courses are for someone who have some what idea of an anatomy, you are welcome to try him out tho. Also look in to David Finch and Stephen Platt tutorials. These are only few ways of doing things. There are many other ways which allows you achieve what you wish to achieve. Even if you buy his courses and other tutors' courses you will eventually find out that you probably have to create your own medium to make proper arts as per your ease.

But first, if you are looking in to character arts, you need some sort of anatomy reference. I have been practicing anatomy by drawing it, and by sculpting it but I still lack fair amount of detail when I am done. So there is no estimated time of learning it. Just practice one male, and one female anatomy sketch / digital sculpt a day, or do it twice. You will eventually see the difference.
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, how is the best way to learn anatomy? Okay i will start learning drawing, but i can't without tutorials. I really prefer to learn anatomy, by drawing the skull, head, learn the muscles of the body etc, And how that to draw, so i can practice sculpting later.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For starters you have to be a doer to learn it. :)

Good luck
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, how is the best way to learn anatomy? Okay i will start learning drawing, but i can't without tutorials. I really prefer to learn anatomy, by drawing the skull, head, learn the muscles of the body etc, And how that to draw, so i can practice sculpting later.

The second best way to learn anatomy is to try different things and see what works for you.

The best way to learn anatomy, is to actually do it instead of making tons of posts about doing it. Less talk, more action, etc etc
  • DEElekgolo
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really hard form the beginning guys, i don't know about you, but i fell that this is mission impossible. There is too much tutorials, courses, books, i have no idea which one to use and how to use. I am just staring at the anatomy pictures, steering at naked people, and i have no idea how to start to observe and start to sculpt or draw:

Also, Thanks to DEElekgolo
    i found this zygote body 3d viewer about male and human anatomy, i can click on them and see what's the name of the bone and muscle, but how that, to be able to sculpt in Zbrush, :

I fell like an useless idiot.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    Make an ecorche. It's not easy and it's not fast, but it is very possible and is often how artists study anatomy. Start by making an entire skeleton, then move on to adding muscles. You can make each muscle with zspheres, by using sculpting layers, or you can look up how other people approach the problem in zbrush.

I would totally understand if you just give up, as you have explained multiple times you aren't getting anywhere with it. There is no special answer that you are missing out on, people all start as relatively sucky and only get better by continually working at it, which is hard work and may not be for you.

At the end of the day you have to be the one who is going to get this shit done, defending yourself and your inability to work will not help you.
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6

Hi there!
    Well, first of all...what do you plan for yourself? Whats your goal? You need to focus on what you wanna do before starting something man.

You can't learn a profession without making no effort on it.
    Are you familiar with human proportions? Did you ever draw in your life? Do you know how a body is made? What is the shape of your bones and muscles? Well, you need to learn that first.

I was in a conference with Scott Spencer, and he said that you can learn anatomy from:
    1- Books (there is a lot of great books of anatomy for artists)
    2- If you can, its highly recommended for you to take some classes of real human anatomy (yeah from inside, cutting dead people), but, if you have no time for that, well, consider the first option, and also, there is a third one.
    3- Observation, well this is really important. Consider this as a must. Because regardless of studying many years on books, people are different. Anatomy will follow a standard, but people will always be different, so observation increases your perception, cognition, feeling of how those volumes works on different people, how their expressions are different.

Videos are great to learn sculpting techniques, but NEVER study anatomy from other people's study, as our friends already told you here, you'll learn their vision about the world, and you must find yours. That's what make a piece of art unique, and so, unique artists.
    This is really hard form the beginning guys, i don't know about you, but i fell that this is mission impossible. There is too much tutorials, courses, books, i have no idea which one to use and how to use. I am just staring at the anatomy pictures, steering at naked people, and i have no idea how to start to observe and start to sculpt or draw:

I fell like an useless idiot.
    Meh, I know how it feels, but nothing is impossible (there are programmers mannn :poly142:) but seriously, I suggest you take those 3 steps I told you. You must learn how your body is made, how it works, and then, observation (photo references, real people on street - just don't stare too much or people you think you are an stalker lol).
    Also, try to draw on the paper something, make some shading on it to study volumes.

Well, its really hard to know the exact path to be an artist, but there are some steps that you must do that will help to to find yours.

If you still complains about loosing your social life and friends, well, plan yourself, there is time for everything, you just must do some effort on your learning time, so you can still spend time with family and friends. This means = WORK HARD.

No pain no gain.

Good luck!:)
  • 3DAndy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Cobe I was going through the same thing you are going through now about 3 months ago, nothing in the books were making sense and I couldn't even memorise the names of muscles.I just kept looking for ways to make it easier. The truth is although some methods are easier than others there is no easy way to learn anatomy. Don't do what I did and just get tons of books and not use them try to take 1 book and draw parts of the muscles then go through the other books to see if you get a better understanding.
    For sculpting I bought Scott Spencer's Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy this book is really helpful although I haven't finished it has helped me a lot and I am now starting to understand parts of muscles and how they go together.
    As you can tell I am no expert I'm actually but worked for me and it may not work for you but from reading the replies there is some really good information on how to start. But the most important thing to do is just start and if it doesn't work try another way. If you really want to do this you just have to put in work anatomy is hard and takes a lot time understand I have just started and I know there is still a lot of things I don't know. Just try and go through this thread and pick some ways to start don't give up.
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

My goal is to be character modeler for games. That's my goal and i am sticking to it.
    I have no idea of the human body, no idea about the proportion, shape, i don't even know the names of the bones or muscles, where are they, how are they move.

No i haven't draw in my life, When i was young, my mom drew whatever i need to have for the art class. Because i didn't know how draw back in then, nor do i know now.

I have Tons of books for anatomy, and i just listing the pages, looking the messy texts and not so clear pictures, and i have no idea what's going on.

I am looking a way how to start to learn anatomy, this is where i am stuck. To start drawing or to start first in Zbrush?
  • MetaGray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do Both
    Its funner and faster than doing it one at a time.

I started drawing again After learning a bit in Zbrush first. Now im doing both.

Look up proportion on youtube AND or get Jesse Sandifer's Anatomy videos from http://www.cgnuggets.com/collections/frontpage?page=2 They helped me more than anything els Ive seen.

I was recommended this when I first started [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ZBrush-Digital-Sculpting-Human-Anatomy/dp/0470450266"]Amazon.com: ZBrush Digital Sculpting Human Anatomy (9780470450260): Scott Spencer: Books[/ame] Its overwhelming for a beginner and not easy to follow along with. Its still pretty dam informative but not for anyone just starting

Theres this for Drawing http://ipaintgirls.com/masterhuman.htm Its like Riven Phoenix's structure of man course EXCEPT its less annoying/Drug out and slightly easier to follow. While Rivens course it also very informative his Small bad habits made me quit halfway through his previews Hi im Riven Phoenix and welcome to the Structure of man learn to draw the figure from your mind training course

And then theres this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing-Invention-Michael-Hampton/dp/0615272819"]Amazon.com: Figure Drawing: Design and Invention (9780615272818): Michael Hampton: Books[/ame] MAAAANNN This book is awesome this Id recommend to a beginner or expert alike its easy to follow too

Take some time to watch some Zbrush speed sculpts on Youtube too those Help me a lot and usually have good music attached

And here have my Anatomy reference folders https://www.dropbox.com/s/5s04vjb12d8d3ve/Anatomy.7z
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, Haha yea, i have seen couple of Riven training videos, and really get annoyed from the start of his videos.

I don't really understand what do you mean doing both? I also watched some Zbrush tutorials, also was doing Zbrush tutorials, but man it's totally freak me out, i can't sculpt single head, not to thing about it doing whole body.

SO what should i so first, to sculpt in Zbrush for couple of hours, then to draw for 2-3 hours? or vise versa?

See i am a bit kind of lost, no idea what to do at firstL@
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, Haha yea, i have seen couple of Riven training videos, and really get annoyed from the start of his videos.

I don't really understand what do you mean doing both? I also watched some Zbrush tutorials, also was doing Zbrush tutorials, but man it's totally freak me out, i can't sculpt single head, not to thing about it doing whole body.

SO what should i so first, to sculpt in Zbrush for couple of hours, then to draw for 2-3 hours? or vise versa?

See i am a bit kind of lost, no idea what to do at firstL@
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, why do you wanna do character art? Do you like Barbarians? Then sculpt a Barbarian... nevermind how shitty it comes out. Do you like soldiers? then sculpt some dude in military attire... nevermind how shitty it comes out.

I don't care what you say, you CAN sculpt a head. It'll just come out shitty. Who cares? Just do another one and another one. Keep that up for a couple of years, and they won't be shitty any more.
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    You have no obligation to know all the muscles names and bones, you only need to know that there is such piece of meat inside you, so you can bring it to your sculpt.
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aha, so i don't need to know every name of the muscle, just to know where is it, and how does act or something?

I think i am going to try and see Riven Phoenix videos. Or if doesn't work, the last thing is will to attend Scott Eaton 2 courses in September.

Is there a problem with me or, the best thing i see in this is, i really like to learn anatomy in this way
    To observe for example human skull, and try that to sculpt in Zbrush?
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Draw before zbrush imo. Start at the very beginning, how many heads make up the height of a human, how many heads from head to crotch for instance. You really need need to know this stuff, eve tho you dont use it

I highly recommend starting with this:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14035

This is the most straightforward way to start drawing imo, and really gets you into thinking about shapes and geometry even in 2d. You WONT get it right straight away, but persevere and you will see results, just do one or two a day.

And finally, this will gve you one insight into drawing, you then have to pursue what interests you. For me, i am interesed in drawing in order to make good sculpts, so i am particularly interested in how artist lay out their drawings, and look for shapes that link into other shapes. I also like gesture drawing as it is a good way of getting life into a pose. I am not so interested in rendering and shading at this point in time, although i am sure it has important uses for the sculptor that i have not discovered yet.

Anyway, my point is, imo, if you cant layout an accurate, convincing well proportioned character on paper, thhen your characters will always be rubbish. Learn the fundamentals there, then pursue what interests you. I think youll find being able to draw a half decent character on paper is really very important to being a good sculptor.

More to the point, until you can visualise and describe well proportioned figures, how can you hope to correctly sculpt them?
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno mate, i am asking this all the time. I didn't have time to thing before because i was too busy with the exams and getting diploma.

I fell now back in the days when i should listen my friend to start to draw, but me noo, was too embarrassed to show my drawings to other people because, i see someone who know how to draw, have talent, someone started to draw at very very young age. Me starting now how to draw, i feel stupid.

But i see it's important, and i want to do it, because i want to be character artist for games. But again, i am too afraid of failure, i am damn 24 years old, someone at my age, already work in some major big studios.

And me who starting now, when should i am suppose to get first entry job? at 30? 40? 60.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    either do it or dont, stop whining about being crap. Everyone is crap at the start, deal with it or gtfo. And if it takes 2 years to get good, either you want to do it or dont. I wrote that up because i thought it would help. Thats a fucking good tutorial if you actually want to start drawing characters somewhere, but coming back with a load of self loathing crap, I shouldnt have bothered.

I cant stand people who would rather whine than spent the effort at getting good at something. Dont be one of those people, its completely your choice.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol who cares about age? I got my first industry job at 27... so what then? I'm a shit person because of it? who cares dude?
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Now my rage has calmed a little, id just like to point out that i am crap at the drawing and sculpting side as well. I dont post work on the internet, I dont show it to friends, because I know this, but i am putting the time and effort in to get better (call it a personal development if you will) and i can visually see improvements week to week, and am getting to the point where I can draw something vaguely human looking! Anyone can do this, and its quite rewarding, not to mention fun!

Ill also add I didnt get into 3d until i was at least 26 i think, and a job till way after that.....age is no problem

Any more wimpering after this mega pep talk and im reporting you to the mods for being laaaame. Do some drawing!

:thumbup:
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh my god I cant believe this exceeded to the page 2. xD
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    This guy should give lessons on how to procastinate. Maybe an exchange thing, I'll teach you how to procastinate if you teach me anatomy.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Why the sudden interest in art? This is a career for people who love to create, perhaps you're only in love with the idea of being a character artist?

What are you passionate about? What did you do your whole life instead of making art?
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why the sudden interest in art? This is a career for people who love to create, perhaps you're only in love with the idea of being a character artist?

What are you passionate about? What did you do your whole life instead of making art?

Is not sudden interest in art. I was interest in art since my high school days. But i wasn't sure how to start, i was trying to draw something, and the kids see it, they started to make at jokes at me. That's really put me down, so i decide it to quick doing that, because i thought i was hopeless.

I finished high school, and attend Graphic design course for one year, there we draw life objects, but yea i took that negative energy from high school and i wasn't able to draw anything.

The teacher did everything to give me some advice, and give me some very simple things to draw.

Then i go interest in 3D, but i wasn't sure what to do. The first thing came in my mind was special effects. I couldn't fit there because my programming and logical brain sucks/

So i decide it to focus on character/creature thing.

But is to bad we don't have any art school like life drawing something like that, traditional etc. We have in our neighborhood, but the price there is shocking.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Here's one man's journey from beginner to a great artist, it took him about 9 years
    link

Here's a video of every drawing he did in those 9 years
    http://vimeo.com/29510470

If you really bust your butt perhaps you can cut that time shorter, so you better get started now!
  • yannage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I picked up a few links people posted on here for references:3

http://alienthink.com/

Here is a thorough tutorial set on anatomy
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yannage wrote: »
    I picked up a few links people posted on here for references:3

http://alienthink.com/

Here is a thorough tutorial set on anatomy

Riven Pheonix is for intermediates. You need to go back to line structure mate.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jX8x6H9ohw&amp;list=UU7dyWH5KfxxyBjWcrd1Idug&amp;index=3&amp;feature=plcp&quot;]The Structure of Drawing Ecorche Figures - YouTube[/ame]

And @Sir. Justin;

No creating art is about a show off, its not about dedication or anything not even people who would love to create. This is about how many hits will I get for meh post. :)
  • Cobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okey, If Riven Phoenix is for intermediates. Suggest me some more basic, but to be videos like his.
  • MetaGray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaleVs0dhm4&quot;]Master The Human Figure - YouTube[/ame]

I have this
    its good for beginners and only 20$
  • vikk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Man, seriously, if you have no touching with art, you may should take some classes of anatomy, drawing and sculpting (if you aren't audotidact).
    Polycount is a great place to learn, but if you are not finding an way, maybe you should look for some art courses too.

Remember, it's never too late to start doing something. If you really want to do something, go for it!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okey, If Riven Phoenix is for intermediates. Suggest me some more basic, but to be videos like his.

Good God sir are you even reading the posts? I gave you some advices in my first or second post. =\