Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Final character/work for portfolio

Wanted to show you my main piece of work of late, hopefully my final addition to a character portfolio, currently needs updating.

There are loads of annoying errors in my work that rather let it down, annoyed at my rate of progression, this is my 3rd/4th year doing this.

It's not easy making post-apoc soldiers stand out so i just did my best with the details:
*note: I didn't design the character, I just modelled him and mostly did as I was told.

Alright we have a lot of images to get through, simmer down, its your own time you're wasting.

MAXPOWER.jpg
mr composite render
1st attempt at Sub surface scattering.

BerettaRender.jpg
2nd gun made since i started 3 years ago, pretty boring.
mr composite render

Headtextures.jpg
Texture1.jpg
guntexture.jpg

Viewport grabs shaders:

Max_Realtime_Pose.jpg
The real ingame model has a low poly head, but I decided to add a new higher poly one when testing my SSS shader.
BACK.jpg

Max_Realtime_Tpose.jpg

May post one or 2 other pieces later, lower poly stuff or 2d.

Crit welcome.
And feedback on eligibility for industry, I'm told I should have a job already but I don't seem to have any luck.

Replies

• FractaL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is just out of this world, thanks for sharing! Your work is truly inspiring! I am usually a lurker, but I came out just to say wow.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Really, really awesome work! Very inspirational and I love the texturing.

I love the energy in that first pose but there's something a little off with his left arm and his torso. It looks like his upper left arm is twisted too far forwards/down for where the rest of his body is, and his chest/stomach look bent a little like spaghetti. I'd still use it because it stands out, but I'd fix up some of the shapes.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Really, really awesome work! Very inspirational and I love the texturing.

I love the energy in that first pose but there's something a little off with his left arm and his torso. It looks like his upper left arm is twisted too far forwards/down for where the rest of his body is, and his chest/stomach look bent a little like spaghetti. I'd still use it because it stands out, but I'd fix up some of the shapes.

it's his shoulder, needs to be pulled back a bit.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    goddamn amazing, that's what it is.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Hi,

Someone said somewhere on the forum that it's totally useless to put Mental Ray renders in your portfolio. If a model is not rendered ingame, it's not a game model. At least use Marmoset Toolbag or UDK...

Another thing : don't say that you did this in 4 years and that it's boring... you should enjoy your work. Why did you do that if you don't like it ?

Also, what's the size of each texture ? How many tris is the character ?

Anyway it looks good I think, except for the arm yeah ^^.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Texelion wrote: »
    Hi,

Someone said somewhere on the forum that it's totally useless to put Mental Ray renders in your portfolio. If a model is not rendered ingame, it's not a game model. At least use Marmoset Toolbag or UDK...

Bullshit, good art is good art regardless of render method. Ingame renders are required to prove you understand the tech and put it to good use. lighting, composition and presentation skills are universal and work regardless of the rendering pipeline.

to the OP

I think the folds on the pants are really noisy and random, I would try to isolate the most important shapes and focus on them and on global movement rather than trying to replicate every little fold
    the gun texture is looking like it was weathered with sandpaper on every single edge, an active cop's gun is supposed to be cleaned up and taken care of at all times, not put in a washing machine with rocks.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome stuff, really really awesome stuff. You're hired for sure. Just get your portfolio out to everyone and you'll be picked up in seconds. No worries!
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I like the model an the textures are awesome.
    But there is one thing that draw my attention: Some areas have a lot of poligons.
    Some areas probably has just a bit more than I expect for such small areas, but his head has a huge density.
    You could say that it is for facial movements, but what about his ears and back of the head?
    Noone pointed that...am I missing something?
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    looks good man, how come you have no full body shots tho? just the posed close up and a shot from the rear
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some areas probably has just a bit more than I expect for such small areas, but his head has a huge density.

The original model had a low poly head, around 1500 perhaps, but I wanted to experiment with SSS shaders and smoother facial expressions, So i Zbrushed a new head with 6000 ish.

I had to use the UDK biped, a real hassle in the arms, and add facial bones.
    I was never taught how to animate/3d rig beyond basics, so it was never going to go well.

@Texelion
    the original character was around 20k
    pov gun model = 7k
    the textures were saved in 512's/2048's depending on gameplay/cutscene requirements.
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace wrote: »
    looks good man, how come you have no full body shots tho? just the posed close up and a shot from the rear

I can do some later, a turntable perhaps?
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    whats all the maps?
    threre are also some i havent seen yet
  • barnesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    The soldier is really good, you had the same issues that I did with regards to the holster strap topology. Its a nightmare trying to get it lined up without clipping thought the shirt.

I share your frustration, it is a bloody pain in the ass trying to find work!

A problem you might be having is that the majority of your work seems to be the same style and aimed at high spec games. I think some nice low poly and different styled stuff would really help sell you as an artist.

Anyway, good luck with it all :), Like I have said before, if you cant get a job i'm screwed hahah
  • Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also wanted to show you this.
    I'm not great at painting in PS, not sure why i started it, was probably bored.
    2 seperate left wing conspiracy theory/wackjob groups on facebook stole this image without even crediting me, pissed me right off.

Consumer%20Zombu%28sml%29.jpg

Dont take it seriously as a political statement, its meant to mock that very sentiment.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Ravanna wrote: »
    Also wanted to show you this.
    I'm not great at painting in PS, not sure why i started it, was probably bored.
    2 seperate left wing conspiracy theory/wackjob groups on facebook stole this image without even crediting me, pissed me right off.

Consumer%20Zombu%28sml%29.jpg

Dont take it seriously as a political statement, its meant to mock that very sentiment.

This is awesome!!! And hilarious too. My only real crit is there is a tangent running along the dogs mouth and over to the zombie womans arm. That area. Really cool and very complete looking!
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    I like the painting, the face looks real good! The white top could use more work though, its difficult to tell whats going on around the stomach area, is that blood there or is there some translucent effect looking through into her insides? Also the part from the breast to the shoulder looks kind of dirty and rough, which contrasts greatly with the fine detailed strokes on her face and handbags.

Good stuff though!
  • AzzaMat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AzzaMat polycounter lvl 9
    seems like a lot of the texture space on the gun could of been overlapped. Apart from that it looks great =D Can someone get this man a job =D
  • proximity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proximity polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing work dude how do you know have a job?!

I love your material definitions and think the clothing is the strongest part of the model. Mouth looks a little weird in first shot :}
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Hey I saw this on DA ^^.

But my favorite piece is still the bust of Gimli, just awesome.
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    wow you really captured an essence of America. nice.