Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brenn's Work Thread and Art Dump

Hiho Polycount! As a long-time lurker and very occasional poster, I think its time I made my own work thread. I just graduated out of a 3D Games Art course in the UK, so its time I got this show on the road and started getting this work out there, and hopefully get myself up to polycount standards =]

Here's some of the finished work I did for my final year projects -

Girl character for in-game cinematic in UDK
GirlLayout.jpg

GirlUpdate_1.jpg

Ape-Tribe Chief character from the UDK cinematic -
MonkeyLayout.jpg

Wizard Bust based on Gandalf/Ian McKellan
GandalfLayout.jpg

Rocky Outcrop from the UDK cinematic
OutcropLayout.jpg

Shot from the cinematic - Foliage, particles and Golem aren't mine
24_04_20123.jpg

And here's some pieces I've been working on more recently -

Celtic Warrior concept
CelticWarrior_Sketch.jpg

CelticWarrior_Concept.jpg

Life Drawing Sketches
(NSFW)

Mudbox face speed-sculpt from Sphere -
HeadSpeedSculpt_1-2.png
HeadSpeedSculpt_1.png

Cartoon P.I. character WIP
PiMuse_01.jpg

Hopefully I should get some more work up in the next few days =]
Cheers!

Scott

Replies

• danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    I like what you've got so far. A consistent theme and style for the fantasy stuff. Fav for me is that cinematic shot with the child and creature thing. Only critique is I think that rock is wasting a few polys, then again it's for cinematic so it's not that significant. Good work!
  • Brenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d wrote: »
    I like what you've got so far. A consistent theme and style for the fantasy stuff. Fav for me is that cinematic shot with the child and creature thing. Only critique is I think that rock is wasting a few polys, then again it's for cinematic so it's not that significant. Good work!

Cheers =]! Yeh that rock was a qucik auto-generate job, not optimised at all really. I'll post up some of my other rocks from that scene that I actually retopo'd. Thanks for the crit!
  • Brenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more screengrabs of work from the Cinematic -

Tribal Mask -
    Mask01_Screenshot.jpg

Spear -
    Spear_Render.png

Rocks from the cinematic scene -
    Rock2_Render.jpg

Most of the rocks in those shots from the cinematic were these rock mesh's, with the vertex-paint moss shader -
    Rock_2_UDKRENDER.jpg

Another rocky pillar -
    RockyPillar_RENDER.jpg

For anyone interested, here's the final Cinematic from the group project -

https://vimeo.com/41401684
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It is overall pretty good work but there is some inconsistency with your polygon density. I see that you said earlier that one rock was an auto generate but some of the other things like the strap on the mask and the rocky pillar feel like they could be optimized. Overall though it looks pretty solid.
  • Brenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus wrote: »
    It is overall pretty good work but there is some inconsistency with your polygon density. I see that you said earlier that one rock was an auto generate but some of the other things like the strap on the mask and the rocky pillar feel like they could be optimized. Overall though it looks pretty solid.

Cheers, yeh I agree, I need a lot more practice really on optimising polys in general, most of my stuff tends to be way heavier than what I need.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Ha, this last rock looks like a Kebab :

kebab.jpg

Just kidding XDDDD.

Seriously, Praetus +1, some meshes are REALLY too heavy. Another thing, you don't need to put the "polycount' in your sheets, the tricount is enough. What's also important is the vertices count, as a mesh can look light in tricount, but really heavy with unoptimized vertices ( because hard edges and UV's vertices add a lot of vertices to calculate for the engine for example, it's a "normals" problem ).

Anyway, hope you will improve your skills ^^.

And GG for your graduation.
  • Brenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion wrote: »
    Ha, this last rock looks like a Kebab :

kebab.jpg

Just kidding XDDDD.

Seriously, Praetus +1, some meshes are REALLY too heavy. Another thing, you don't need to put the "polycount' in your sheets, the tricount is enough. What's also important is the vertices count, as a mesh can look light in tricount, but really heavy with unoptimized vertices ( because hard edges and UV's vertices add a lot of vertices to calculate for the engine for example, it's a "normals" problem ).

Anyway, hope you will improve your skills ^^.

And GG for your graduation.

Hahaha +1 for the kabab, I could go for one now xD Yeh I really dont like my texture work on that one, just kinda messy and noisy =/ Cheers for the tips and crit! Yeh those vert counts can really sneak up on ya heh.

Edit: Also, thanks! Although technically I haven't 'graduated' yet, the ceremony isn't until November =/ but I know I got a 2-1 overall =]
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 4
    @Texelion
    haha it does look like a kebab. Now I can't unsee it.

@Brenn
    Welcome to polycount. Like you I was a lurker too and posted just a few weeks ago. I'm currently taking up a 3d course in Vancouver, and I'm leaning towards games. How long did it take for you to finish the cinematic, and how long was the course?
  • Brenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick art dump before bed =] -

Desert-scene sketch -
    LandscapeSketch_1.jpg

Random BUFF DUDE speed-sculpt -
    CharSketch_1.jpg

CharSketch_1_CloseUp.jpg
    @Texelion
    haha it does look like a kebab. Now I can't unsee it.

@Brenn
    Welcome to polycount. Like you I was a lurker too and posted just a few weeks ago. I'm currently taking up a 3d course in Vancouver, and I'm leaning towards games. How long did it take for you to finish the cinematic, and how long was the course?

Course was 3 years, standard Bachelors of Arts Uni course in the UK. Cinematic was a 2-semester group project, but out of 4 of us in the group, I did 2 of the characters (plus rigging for all of them) and one environment scene (Rocks, Grass, Landscape, Post-Process, all the good stuff), plus Storyboards, UDK setup, concept art, all the fun stuff, along with everyone else. It was a varied group, so 2 of us ended up doing a fair amount of work, one guy did bits (the Golem and the particles), and one guy did about 2 or 3 models, when we'd asked him to setup a whole scene =/

so yeh, its about 3 months Full-On work, with 2 months concepting and building the characters. Learnt a lot, but god was it stressful D= plus we only had an animator for about a month, and the sound guys only ever gave us one file, no retakes.. fun times! Don't let any of that put you off though heh, Vancouver sounds awesome and even with all that I'm glad I did it! Good luck on yours =]
  • Brenn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evenin' Gents, here's some work i started today, a sculpt based on this guy -

TuBardh_Reference.jpg

from a scottish pipe'n'drums band Clanadonia - [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UII8CPnJuro"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UII8CPnJuro[/ame]

Quick sketch -
    18-07-2012_2.jpg

First bit of sculpting -
    TuBardh_1.jpg

TuBardh_2.jpg