Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] mechas

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Lord Fryingpan polycounter lvl 12
Update :
gfmmP.png

pycOY.jpg?1

I plan on making a game based on mechas. I've decided to start from the basic, and force myself into doing some thumbnails, and trying to have a coherent universe.

Also, the plan should be with a top down view, so I've tried to make the silhouettes interesting from this angle.

Replies

• Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    C,E and H for me.
    C's shoulder pads, E's arms and H's foot.
    What engine would you be using for the game?
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't decided yet, the purpose of this is to make sexy models and artworks to convince developers to work with me.

My ambition is to work either in the UDK, although most programmers I've spoken to are reluctant to use it, or the Source engine, provided Valve have developed the new Source Filmmaker, which looks like a powerful animating and editing tool, problem being I haven't yet worked with this engine.

Engines I actually have achieved games for have been Unity, which I have a hard time getting good renders from, and CryEngine, which have been an incredible pain in the ass regarding the importation of animation process, and which I'd rather avoid for the time being.

But for now, the exercice and protfolio building are excuse enough for me to make these.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    "A" is the only one which doesn't fit with the others.

B and C are my favs ^^.
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a800t.jpg

Here are some researchs on the "C" model, with Pangahas modifications. I'm trying to find interesting patterns, and some of the sketches above kinda contradict my earlier work. No big deal, we're still in the early stages of development.

Don't hesitate to leave some crits. I'm going to get some rest and I'll make some digital paintings according to your recommendations tomorrow.

Take care.
  • Rav3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    Silhouettes look nice and interesting! :) I like G from the first picture and springs, rods and bomber (I guess, or bonber xD) from the last pic. Keep it up! :thumbup:
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, here's a quick and dirty concept.

Purpose here is to simulate an industrial ecology where vehicles actually evolve from a previous machine, and is ultimately perfected into another.

pycOY.jpg?1

Next up : blockout
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hugh > Only I don't have half his skill XD

Anyway, quick blockout p5fc5.png
  • Pangahas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pangahas polycounter lvl 10
    Nice update I'm really liking the variations you have and also the color scheme appeals to me.Can't wait to see the finished mech.Subscribed to the thread,which reminds me that I really should be working on my own mech project and seeing your work inspires me to do just that.
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NGJ0O.png

A small update, here are the mechas' cores. I'll try and get some more done later today.
  • fabio brasilien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fabio brasilien polycounter lvl 11
    I suggest adding some extra variation on the 5 variations. They look very simillar with just a few changes from the previous. Probably it would be hard to recognize ingame...
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A very valid concern, indeed. I'll see to rework my previous designs, I think I'll at least modify the pseudo tailpipes into something else, in order to change the silhouette a bit.

Anyway, here's some progress :
    gfmmP.png
  • Lord Fryingpan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've worked on some feet. I'll try to do some omre today
    BBSzx.png