Home Technical Talk

Maya 2013 Help: Transparency

Hello,
I just picked up Maya 2013 a few days ago, and I'm new to any Animation Software (other than Ae). Is there any way I can make a model with no transparency, but still it's transparant? (If that makes any sense) I am trying to make a skeleton, but I need its ribcage to be transparent. I made textures through Ps, and applied them. The textures are fine, but I see other parts of the model through its self. (example: If I'm looking from it diagonally between the front and right view, I see the roots of the legs, and the left arm through the ribcage.(The whole left arm)) I'm not in X-ray mode. The transparency setting is set to the texture, so I can't control anything there. I would greatly appreciate it if this was able to be answered (you guys can probably answer this in your sleep, because most of the people on this forum are like Maya wizards.)

:) Thank you,
-chikincows

Replies

• chikincows
    I am now having another problem, I had just used extrude, and now I can't right click to change to object mode, any help? (The curser has a block next to it) I am new to Maya, so I have stupid problems like this.
  • Axios
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    For the transparency part, click 'Shading' above the viewport and check 'Polygon Transparency Sorting'.

For the object bit, not exactly sure what the problem is, but on the status line near the top of the window, to the right of the 'Open' and 'Save' icons, there should be three button that change your selection mode, the center of which is object mode, maybe that will help.
  • chikincows
    Whoops, I accidentally did this wrong :/

The comment I want you to see is down below this one.
  • chikincows
    Axios wrote: »
    For the transparency part, click 'Shading' above the viewport and check 'Polygon Transparency Sorting'.

For the object bit, not exactly sure what the problem is, but on the status line near the top of the window, to the right of the 'Open' and 'Save' icons, there should be three button that change your selection mode, the center of which is object mode, maybe that will help.

Thank you, but how do I make it to where when I right click I can select faces and edges?

**[Edit]** How do I click "Polygon Transparency Sorting"? It won't let me activate it. (It's light grey)
  • chikincows
    I found out how to fix the right clicking, I just need help on the transparency part, any help?
  • throttlekitty
    Are you using Viewport 2.0? You'd need to go back to the standard/high quality rendering mode to use it.
    edit: I'm not sure if 2013 or other hardware helps, but I've found that Vp2.0 isn't a good place to actually model in, but it is nice for quick presentation.
  • chikincows
    Thank you, I have been using ViewPort 2.0 the whole time, now I know not to for modeling.

-chikincows