Home Digital Sketchbooks

JoeriV's sketchbook (3d)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
joeriv polycounter lvl 7
Okay about me:

In september 2011 I started studying Digital arts and entertainment here in Belgium.
My main focus was programming, something I have done for a couple of years now, but the 3D bug got to me, and I just love modelling and texturing.
So there is a good chance I might shift my focus towards that over the coming months and years.

I like critiques, I'd prefer people pointing out all the mistakes and flaws, then just going "it looks good" or "it looks bad", so feel free to be harsh, but keep it construcive :)

I'm going to start off with 2 things for now:

First is the first assignment we got, it's a bit "akward" since it's basicly useless outside of the renders, because the assignment was to make a vehicle in 3dsmax using only primitives and a couple of modifiers (bend, taper, etc).

1front.jpg
1side.jpg
1sideengine.jpg

Second one is the assignment for the examens:
-Make a low poly cityscene (aiming for HL2 quality, but ofcourse it always turns out a bit higher in terms of models, since HL2 if you look back at it is really low poly :p)

-Only Diffuse & Opacity textures.
-Use tileable textures

I learned a ton doing this, the only downside is, there is still tons of work to do, and I have to hand it in on thursday (about 5 days from now), so with my current schedule it's kind of to late to go back and fix some things.
Same if I get some critiques, I can fix some things in the textures/Mesh etc, but it's a bit to late to go back and change the layout/etc.

Luckily, I have a bunch of props ready, only got to finish up the textures here and there and then place them in.

Bad thing: I kinda left some things unfinished to finish later, so now as a consequence, nothing is finished, and there are a lot of unfished/bad parts that I have to go and fix/redo/finish.

(and yes the tree sucks atm)
segg.jpg
trollololololol.jpg
ihaswires.jpg

And a quick youtube clip of an old version:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TohTztZE8hM"]DAE 3D1 Cityscene final. - YouTube[/ame]
(color are really washed out tough, for some reason in the clip).

Goals for the coming weeks:
-Finish the cityscene.
-Try to do a lot of free work.
-Make props and maybe do some more complicated models.
-Work on Unwrapping/proper uv layouts.
-Work on getting better meshes.
-Do a lot of work on texturing (less photo-material, etc).

Replies

• Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, that pod racer is incredible, such detail, great work on it. Any plans on texturing it? Whats the polycount on it? Can you show the wireframe? Sorry to bombard you with questions but its always good to see more. It looks like you need to soften the edges on the ends of the cones on the pods, looks like they are still hard edged. Other than that, great work!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Well as I said, the problem is that it was a school assignment (the first one we had) were we had to make a vehicle with only basic primitives(box/cilinder/etc) and some modifiers(bend/taper/etc) (and no editable poly's).
    It was meant to get people used to the software (3dsmax) and the hotkeys, etc.

So we couldn't even delete the hidden faces, since we weren't allowed to convert it to a editable poly :p

So texturing it would be a complete nightmare I think.

Maybe after the second semester when we have done high-poly modelling (complete first semester was low-poly) I might start it over again in a proper way.

And polycount was around 600.000, but that doesn't really mean a lot because of the way it was made :p
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    And a update:

Had to turn in the assingment last week for the final assignment for the first semester:

Just Diffuse and opacity maps, and had to be low poly (no normal maps, etc), and we had to use tilable textures.

So this was the end result, some things are a bit unfinished, but I didn't want to have untextured stuff in there.

End result was just over 22k poly's.

360 rotation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TohTztZE8hM

(sorry for the colors, the program I use to convert jpeg's to avi kinda desaturates the colors by a lot for some unknown reason).

Collection of some shots:
    Separate: http://img849.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=1dae9vrommanjcityscener.jpg
    slidehsow: http://img849.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=1dae9vrommanjcityscener.jpg

(slideshow is kinda crappy quality).

Wire:
    wirert.jpg

329198_3139423255353_1558059333_2835984_1315596663_o.jpg

Started doing some high poly modelling, but I'll show that tomorrow or somewhere this week.
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    i really like the feeling of this, there appear to be some wierd tris in some places though
  • ShootandRun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    that podracer is AMAZING!!
    I think you should definitely make a lowpoly for it and bake all of that eye candy.
    I am amazed that's your first assignment, very good job

it looks like you have a very good understanding of making lowpoly meshes, you get rid of any unneeded polys by triangulating, keep up the awesome work

can we get some close up shots like person height inside the scene?

edit: oops never mind didnt see the link
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments.

@allmighty_thunder
    Could you maybe clarify wich parts have some weird tri's?

So after some tests and just figuring some stuff out I'm gonna start working on something, and gonna do the whole thing, so high and low poly, normal map, spec map, etc.
    Plan is to finish it by the end of the week, hopefully I won't run into much trouble.
    But I guess first time doing a proper normal map will give me some headaches :p

So here's the basic blockout, need to fix up the underside, and maybe change some things here and there, and then start doing the real work (high poly).

Reference:
    http://www.cgtextures.com/texview.php?id=17577&PHPSESSID=9tj0ikvucg6odvh34sdnav8340

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/5083/constructionblockout.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Small update, wanted to look for some feedback before I finish the highpoly, since I'm pretty new to it.

(everything is still heavy wip, the "tube", and everything attached to it hasn't been touched yet, the wheel + the "guard" above it don't have turbosmooth applied yet, and just in general everything still needs some work, but it should already give an idea)

render1fo.jpg
    render3h.jpg

Wire:
    http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/5664/wirefu.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Okay, kinda slack off here the last weeks, but time to change that again.

Started working on a exercice on lights in 3dsmax.
    (models are NOT done by me, just the lighting).

Standard lights & scanling renderer, etc.

Mainly looking for feedback on this, I feel like I still have to look up a bit more reference.
    So gonna do that (and maybe if someone would be so nice to give some feedback on this), use that, and do a second try, and then also do materials.

lightpractice.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Some non-real time stuff I'm working on.
    Need to finish some parts (and planning on redoing the reels), finish the materials.
    End goal is to make a vintage photo of a product.

If anyone would be willing to give some feedback I'd be very gratefull, since I'm starting to feel kinda lost on this, can't really find a direction to take it atm, and some materials are just not working out at all.

Once this is finished I will make bake it down to a low poly (have done quite a bit of small tests, but this will be the first object), and then use the knowledge of materials I gathered so far to make the spec/etc map.

render723.jpg
    render12b.jpg

Wires: (a bit outdated, but most parts are still the same)
    naamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaloos.png
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    So yes, because there are about 4 weeks to go untill the exams I don't exactly have a lot of spare time. (this assignment, we have to program 2 2d games in c++, and some other stuff).

So yeah, started working on the final assignment (and the last non-realtime, next year everything is gonna be realtime stuff).

Goal, Fiat 126, and make a rally version out of it.

Need to take a step back though atm, and work a bit again on the basic ship and flow since that's definatly not good yet ><

Wire:
    naamloostm.png

Just a quick material test I did, not really working out the way I want yet:
    nogaltijdnietgoed.jpg

And a quick test render with some reflection etc
    testve.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    And throwing these in here, so this stays a bit up to date with my current progress :p

quickefefjpg.jpg
    jpegversion.jpg
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    great work man, the car is looking very good
    only nitpick would be that the rims are a bit too white even with the bits of dirt added

also nice match with the picture
    keep it up
  • Navillus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think they're actually the same pic right? One is rendered with motion blur and dust particles and the other is just a still shot
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks ravenslayer for the comment ^^

And yes Navillus, the top one is after playing around with it in PS, the bottom one is just the base render, how it came out of max.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Haven't updated this in while, so let's get this up to date, since I find it fun to sort of see everything combined.
    Gonna split it up into 2 posts, one "finished" and then one currently working on.

Still just trying to improve and figure out what to focus on.

had a go at handpainting, should find a hour or 2-3 to finish it up.
    paintwiplowres.jpg

Some panels+prop trying to match the style, not to happy looking back at these, but I did learn a lot, so they served theyre purpose.
    floor5.png
    floor6.png
    floor7.png
    1wallk.png

propjoeriv.png
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Gun from dust514 concept that I started recently:

gun1joeriv.png
    gun3joeriv.png
    lowwirejoeriv.png

testbake + quick try at the brownish metal
    http://i46.tinypic.com/ie2mw7.png
    http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9461/captureemy.png

Have to do a gun for school, decided to just pick something that a couple of months ago I would have said about "nope, no way, can't do that" and just try.

Very wip, the front part and the bandages around the grip are just placeholders atm.
    (funny timing actually with the borderlands artdumps/borderlands 2 coming out).
    borderlandsgunjoeriv.png

So for now, the bottom gun is getting finished first, since it's on a deadline, then finish the dust514 one.
    And hopefully I'll have a week or so of some spare time to fit in something else (so much to do, so little time) before rampup to the examn madness starts at school.
  • [Deleted User]
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ocarian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ocarian polycounter lvl 16
    Excellent Thread joeriv

Great Modeling !

Keep posting ^^
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments :)

And a general update.

Where that gun ended up:
    gunjoeriv1x.png

MP5:
    joerivmp5hpwip1.png
    lpfinal1.png
    lpfinal2.png
    lpfinal3.png

Challenger:

12162035.png
    84757988.png
    60062166.png
    45874686.png
    53679595.png
    39722540.png
    92659199.png
    75707386.png
    96363748.png
  • W1r3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    W1r3d polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome inspirational work dude! :D
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    really nice modeling
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments :)

Wanted to do a proper environment for a long time now, so just going for it :)
    after a little struggle with udk I managed to get some basic stuff done, now onto more blocking out, and then I hope I can finish this in a reasonable amount of time.

(based on a concept by john park).

81003949.jpg
    78756710.jpg
    75177947.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    working a bit on a new gun, still quite a way to go on the highpoly.

sprmk12hpwiphighres.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    putting the gun on hold untill work/finals for school are over.
    m4hpjoeriv1.jpg
    m4hpjoeriv2.jpg

and a small environment for school, roughly based on a concept by neil hanson.

All the rocks are UDK placeholders currently.

should look a lot better (I hope :D)once I got those replaced, made a decent material, and refined the terrain/snow/etc a bit more for the path.

envoplaceholderswip.jpg
    test11m.jpg

and we have to make a quick movie out of it, so gave that a test.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl7f6fvAx-I&quot;]TestTerrain2SeqAct_Interp_0_30fps_1680x1050_0 - YouTube[/ame]
  • Boots!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boots! polycounter lvl 6
    Subscribed, loving this content!
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow you got great modeling skills! really impressive. Keep it up! I'll be looking closely to this thread.
  • OXGears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    same, subscribed.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7

Time to update this, to keep track of everything, and to remind myself to finish up the wips, so that I have my portfolio done by the end of january, wich will line up nicely with my 2nd year here since my first post :)

vrkg.jpg
    q54r.jpg
    m9q7.jpg

mxfu.jpg
    lu2y.jpg

jikn4z.jpg
    219dnnp.jpg

rtom.jpg
    fr9a.jpg
    onta.jpg
    rlxh.jpg
    okhc.jpg
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    and because of the image limit, a second post:

And a new highpoly wip that I have worked on a bit now and then the past 1,5 week, a lot of parts are still in blockout stage.
    Quickly rendered in marmoset2.

concept: http://halofanforlife.com/wp-content/uploads/Rail-Gun-concept-Sparth.jpg

sp80.jpg
    3ey8.jpg
    n1aa.jpg
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Awesome stuff! I was wondering... What lighting/material setup do you have on the AR Pistol? Working on some weapon portfolio pieces and I just love that rendering style. :) Cheers!
  • noniol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noniol polycounter lvl 6
    waaahh, awesome !
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks SsSandy_C & noniol.

For your question:
    It's just a basic max material (see settings in the image):
    http://imageshack.us/a/img27/7863/89i1.jpg

For the plastic parts I added one of max's procedural noises to the bump slot.

Then just some basic spotlights:
    http://imageshack.us/a/img13/8110/ykjj.jpg

For rendering, mental ray with nothing fancy at all, just upped some quality settings such as AA/resolution/etc.

And then afterwards just some color tweaking in PS.

And while I'm here, update time :D
    7ick.jpg
    z7y9.jpg
    cz4y.jpg
    q6wq.jpg
    idtc.jpg
    0av7.jpg
    9l0k.jpg
    x0ed.jpg
    fnrt.jpg
    e84i.jpg
    2wm4.jpg
    v6qt.jpg
    ta4u.jpg
    c17p.jpg
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks joeriv! Damn those marmo renders are so sexy. Really nice material definition and top notch modeling.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so impressed by your hardsurface modeling. Do you mind posting your wires for your highpoly?
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Sure, these are the unsmoothed wires of the latest gun:

5i9g.jpg
  • sun_smasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sun_smasher polycounter lvl 9
    Beautiful work. Your attention to detail is wonderful. Specifically I really liked the binoculars. Keep it up!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks sun_smasher.

Close to finishing this up, need to do the shells, the eotech, and some unique details, and the strap, hopefully done by thursday, quite busy atm.

d1q6.jpg
    6ckp.jpg
    6tx0.jpg
    wpyx.jpg
    qh17.jpg

And doing some thumbnails for something in the future.
    Not to happy about them yet, but I'm having fun with them, so i'll get there eventually :)
    36qp.jpg
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow thanks for the wires! it looks like you didn't even use floaters for baking. insane! There's no pinching either.
    If you don't mind me asking. How do you create your lowpoly?
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    I don't mind at all :)

It basicly comes down to what is the fastest.
    Sometimes that means taking the high and quickly deleting all the edge loops/rings (for more simple things usually).

And sometimes with complex shapes with lots of part or cylindrical things (since usually you will have an amount of segments that made sense for the highpoly, but not for the low)
    I find it a lot faster to just build a new mesh over the highpoly.

Or a combination of those 2.

For the KSG for example, the main body was done by removing edges from the high, and then merging parts together and cutting out new holes where needed.
    But then for the eotech or the shotgun shells or the strap at the back I just build a new mesh over it.

Hope that helped a bit.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea that helps a lot. Thanks!

Have you ever tried using floaters when it comes to normal baking?
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Yes I do use them, they are just a bit hidden.

For example on the ksg there are some on the plate that holds the thing that holds the shells in the 4 corners (the small bolts).

Generally it comes down to this:
    -I just model it in because I'm not sure yet if I am going to add a bit of geo, but if the KSG for example I had set a 12k triangle limit I would have used a lot more floaters.

And you use floaters to save time, and I don't really have any strict deadlines because these are personal projects, and modelling it in doesn't take that much time anyway.

Besides that, I prefer when it's to time consuming to model in (or I don't know yet how large/small I want it) I do it in nDo later, since I can easily change/iterate it without having to rebake all the time.

When I do use them:
    -When I just get it done quick.
    -When I expect a bit of UV distortion in that place, so then a floater is easier.
  • reedweinstock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reedweinstock polycounter lvl 8
    How did you did you create the velcro normals? does it require anything like alpha, height, or parallax?

Reed