Home General Discussion

Can i be modeler really?

Hey guys, the problem i am facing is i can't model something without a tutorial. With tutorial everything is i do is copy and paste. Without a tutorial, i can't really start to model,i am just starring on the concept art, whatever i found, and i can't start to model i am blocking my self.

The problem is i can't follow a concept art, how to begin with modeling, to get the basic shape, then to add details etc.

Is there any change to become a modeler, or i am dumb?

Replies

• r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    practice, make mistakes and get better. when your starting you will without exception make totally shit models.. as you practice you will get better.

finish the model even if its not going well, then make another doing your best to get better. there's no quick way to become good. you need to work at it.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Well, the obvious question is, how long have you been at this? It takes time. Keep on plugging away at it. It's too early for you to have self doubt, so squash that right now. Bring everything you attempt to a final state, even if you're not entirely happy with it. Wrap it up, reflect on what you would do differently, start a new project. Give yourself a deadline as well.

Keep on keeping on.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally i am doing this for a 1 year.Before that, i wasn't sure which program to use, Maya or max, i was trying both, to see how things working for modeling, something i like for maya, something max, i didn't get really serious. I choose Max, because is more stable than Maya, and the modeling tools for max is just awesome and i very like them.

I am getting my self a deadline, But i am can make it what i have give for myself. I am stuck between, l am losing hope of not being able to model something, etc.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    The only way you'll learn to ride a bicycle is by falling.. a lot! So go out there and fall as often as you can!

ps. don't take this too literally! :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to scale back your plans, instead of doing a full blown concept I think you need to work on something smaller.
    “You know what I’m going to do? I’m going to start off as a four-star chef.”
    Well, can you cook a cup of rice?
    “No.”
    Can you cook an omelet?
    “No.”
    Well, why don’t you start off learning how to cook rice, and by the way, that takes about a year. Four star chefs take a full year learning how to cook rice and how to cook omelets.
    “Well, I’m not going to do that.”
    Well, then you’re never going to be a four-star chef.
    - Patton Oswalt
    Time to cook some rice and make some omelets, I mean make some simple props and work on the basics of modeling.

A tutorial shows you how a tool works, what you learn from a trash can tutorial applies to the next thing you model. Because you followed some instructions doesn't mean you know how to make that particular thing until you can apply what you learned to something different.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    It can be helpful to block in your volumes with primitives. After you get the basic shape and volume, press alt - x to make the meshes semi transparent, right click the objects and in the properties uncheck show frozen in grey, freeze them and then use those volumes as a guide. By doing this you can focus on good topology and worry less about the proportions.

Also, practice, practice, practice.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I think the key is to just start even when you feel blocked. Analyze the concept, which parts are seperate meshes/objects. Block out the rough shape. Then start on one corner.
    For instance you feel intimidated by a fairly complex car. Block it out then start on one part like the hood or the front fender. Once you have a start you will see the rest follows much more easily. Don't work on small details first. get the shape and silhoutte of the whole thing right first.

Someone posted this a while ago. Gives you a good idea how to tackle it:

o0qfj.jpg
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    practice, make mistakes and get better. when your starting you will without exception make totally shit models.. as you practice you will get better.

finish the model even if its not going well, then make another doing your best to get better. there's no quick way to become good. you need to work at it.

You pretty much nailed the thread with that word mate. :)
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Rather than going off a concept try modelling something small and that you have in real life so you can examine it closely and follow. Ie. mobile phone, controller etc.

Through practice you will develop your own personal workflow and won't rely on tutorials to hold your hand.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    It's 98% hard work a 2% talent.
    So only way is working.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    working is a talent.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What if i don't have a talent? To be honest, i am not a artist talent, for me it's really hard to see detail, color, how the light work etc. For work, i will work, just i need motivation, because, psychical i am going down, cuz i think that, i am not cab't be an artist and have a talent. Some people are born with that.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imo Theres no such thing as talent, Some people get it faster than others either some dont.

Talent = persistence practice and passion

Just do it and reap the benefits later
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Maybe this isnt the right career path for you then? You dont need to be a tallented concept artist or draw amazingly well to be a great 3d artist (granted they will help you a ton). But if you do not understand the fundamentals of art such as form, lighting, color theory and such you will never be a great artist.

The question becomes why did you want to become a 3d artist?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kuledo wrote: »
    What if i don't have a talent?

This is starting to sound suspiciously like whining, post some of your work and stop yapping :)
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    What if i don't have a talent? To be honest, i am not a artist talent, for me it's really hard to see detail, color, how the light work etc. For work, i will work, just i need motivation, because, psychical i am going down, cuz i think that, i am not cab't be an artist and have a talent. Some people are born with that.

Nobody is born with that. It's learned, practiced, and refined. You're already defeating yourself. Get out of that head space and get to work.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    working is a talent.

Then you are like most people around world. But with hard work, you still can be amazing.
    Can't say for artist but Einstein was for me talented guy. These 2% allowed him to made revolutionary ideas, but it wasn't possible without 98% hard working.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I will summarize the info you got: YES YOU CAN!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to be clear im not saying that work is everything, some people are simply better than others. that said I believe that most people can produce good work if they work at it. And that talented people who are lazy go nowhere.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    Do you like doing it? If yes, then you'll find the motivation to keep practicing.

Very talented people are just people who have a lot of enthusiasm to pursue what they love. Since they love it they spend many, many hours doing it. Spending many many hours doing it means you'll become very good.

Just realize, as r_fletch_r said, that it's ALL practice. If you like it, do not become discouraged because you're having a hard time. All that goes away with practice, LOTS OF PRACTICE. 99% of everything you produce in the beginning will be shit, and that's ok, that's how it is.

Do you not like doing it? Then you'll probably run into a wall because motivation will fail you. But to be honest, why do it if you don't like it?

TL;DR: it's ok to suck at first, practice more.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ye, like people have said- practice.

Also, when following a tutorial, try to carry over the principles to your own thing. Like, if there's a tutorial on how to model a Beretta, model a Colt instead. That way you'll learn much faster.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waiting for inspiration or motivation is an excuse to not try.

I'll post this rant from a while back and save myself some time...
    I think I know what you're looking for? The one thing that kicks all the lights on and gets everything flowing again. The one thing that restores that zen feeling and work magically finishes itself. Yea that happens every once in a while but don't relay on it because you'll never get anything done.

Inspiration doesn't pay the bills. Inspiration doesn't get projects finished. Inspiration is nice when its there but not necessary to see something through. What is necessary is a relentless commitment to finish the project to the quality standards you know are expected.

What is a good activity to do while waiting for inspiration to strike again?
    Practice or just do work, even small tasks that don't require inspiration.

Find some small way to succeed at something. If inspiration can't be the gas in your tank let the sense of accomplishment be the fire in your belly.
    "I'm going to unwrap this object by noon" "Done, I win!"
    "I'm going to research old generators and make one by Friday" "Done I win!"
    "I'm going to sculpt all of the boring details first so they aren't hanging over my head killing my inspiration" "Done I win!"

I think its a bit unrealistic to think that artists can only work when inspired, inspiration might be there in spurts

Especially if you're going to do this professionally you need to find a way to get work done and not be emotionally wed to whatever it is you're doing. Your boss isn't going to take the excuse "well I'm waiting for inspiration before I start working again". Those guys get let cut loose pretty quick.

If your car is stalled and you're trying to get it rolling again do you sit on your rear and wait for it to magically restart or do you give it a shove and try to push start it? At some point the engine is going to kick on and make your job a lot easier but until then muscle through it and get stuff done. Often for me the act of just doing something is the most powerful way to spark inspiration. But then I'm a details guy I love looking up odd bits of machinery or giving some physical purpose to an object or "if this character does this, they will need to carry this and how is it they can carry this item". Just digging in gets things flowing. Just turning on the computer and then walking away demoralized just makes the problem worse, at least for me.

If you can't work with inspiration then at least work on refining your work ethic and start to build that muscle through attitude that really comes in handy. Instead of filling the time between strikes of inspiration with sadness and despair, fill it with something useful and who knows maybe by doing that you can learn to trigger it.

TLDR: There is a wimpy nerdy turtle neck wearing artist inside you that needs a good ass kicking. He needs to be put to work, preferably some hard labor, go! Kick his ass, make him your bitch and never let him whine again.

Also, no one is born with artistic talent, they develop it over time. This is one of the few industries where you can wear the title of artist and suck at drawing and painting. You don't need to be a great draftsman but you do need to know your stuff about art. The funny thing is the more you learn about art you'll find that talent in drawing and painting start to take hold.

If you're not even willing to try then you should give up, pack it in and be thankful you haven't wasted your time.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Get a sketchbook and start drawing everyday. That will help you get started understanding shape and volume. After a while of doing this you'll create a better understanding of how to create forms in 3D. In the meanwhile start raging through tutorials, making sure you get all the fundementals down and are learning something new everyday. Instead of using their concepts directly, create your own using there's as a general template. This will help give you confidence creating your own art, and challenge yourself. Remember, if you are not stuggeling and feeling challenged, you are not learning.

If you work hard and don't lose your patience, you'll get there eventually. But its a long and tough road, so if you're not enjoying the work then maybe you won't enjoy the journey.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If you've been practicing for only a week, ofcourse you're gonna suck, we all sucked, sucking if the first step towards not sucking.

However, at the same time, did you only try your art skills? What about more technical stuff? I have a friend who has some awesome programming skills, but force himself to become an artist because he 'wanted to be noticed', it's kinda biting him in the ass right now, since his art skills are pretty much inferior in every way to his technical expertise.

So don't give up just yet on art-related work, but at the same time, try and see if maybe your inherit skillset lies somewhere else.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You know if you want to make 3d models, you can just start making them right away. The part where you have to pull out a huge amount of detail, picking the right colours and all will come with alot of practice. We werent born artists, we became one.

For me, I practice my stuff almost the entire time of the day and even now I am still seeing mistakes in my work.

If you need motivation for 3d modeling:

Stuff like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FrrzRdVCaQ&list=UU1fl48XHsZBMX4-Yea3LbMQ&index=6&feature=plcp"](Part 1) modeling, 3D total Abominable Snowman challenge - YouTube[/ame]

If you need motivation for 2d concept drawings:

Stuff like:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K81stw-OI_0&feature=fvwrel"]How to draw Comics #004 Captain America - YouTube[/ame]

Should be pushy enough for you.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the great advice.

I will admit, and i really want to be 3D artist, especially modeler/texture artist. And i am enjoying this really, watching tutorials how things are done. I also tried to create something on my own, without a tutorial, but i don't some things how to do.

Like, shape inside of shape, perfect circle, stuff like that.

Also i am not really confident in the beginning, because i have 24 years, and i am too old for this. Some of you guys started with this, when you were young. And you are awesome of what you are.

Before i got really interest in 3D, i was web designer, but most of my time was programming, writing code, for me that was really not enjoyable, and i really suck at coding.

I brought a drawing tutorial from Riven Phoenix, but i still didn't watched his tutorials, because i am learning 3D max, and now i want to start to learn Zbrush.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    24 to old?

I am 23 atm, a year ago I hadn't touched any 3d yet.
    Sometimes it's normal to have doubts, will I ever make it into the game industry?
    I don't know, but the important thing is, give it everything, atleast when things don't work out, youll be able to look back and be happy that you atleast tried.

But to come back on the age thing, the last thing I am ever thinking is that I am to old for this.
    Yes there are always much younger "talented" people (put it between quotation marks, since everyone has another opinion on what talent is), but in the end there are always people better then you.

As in your case my art background is fairly terrible, I don't know a lot about color/composition, but what is my plan for the coming 3 months, study art (books/drawing/etc) while doing 3D, as others have said, this is stuff you learn, you aren't born with this knowledge.

You don't know certain things, or some things aren't working out?
    That's part of it, sometimes you make something it sucks.
    Sometimes you wanna do something, but you have no clue how.

What do you do? You try again, you try to make it better, or in the last case, you ask help on how to do it, google tutorials etc.

You have seen some of the works on polycount? Amazing stuff isn't it.
    What you don't realize is all the hard work, all the missteps and all the problems people had to go trough to get the end result.
    Except for maybe some rare cases, people don't just sit down and make something amazing just out of the blue.

And then there is all this experience/hard work that they have put in in the years before.

Maybe the following sounds a bit harsh but well:

stop moping and thinking you can't do it, and just do it.
    Just make something on your own, yes it will suck, and yes people will point out all the bad things about it, but that is something you have to go trough.

But take it slow, don't rush things, maybe hold off on Zbrush for a while and just start off with the basics in 3dsmax.

And to close it off:
    Have a look at the first page of his sketchbook.
    Now look at the last page, or even just 10 pages further.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108183

And imagine if this guy had said that he was to old/not confident/couldn't do it, those pages behind the first wouldn't have existed.
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also i am not really confident in the beginning, because i have 24 years, and i am too old for this. Some of you guys started with this, when you were young. And you are awesome of what you are.

I was 24 when i started at school and all my 3d stuff generally. Im hitting 26 this month, have graduated, have my own 3d modeling business, doing freelance work and with good luck getting my first game industry job real soon. The point is, things will change for better real quick if you will keep practicing and dont give up.

There's no such thing as "too old".. Youre only too old if you think you are.
    Believe me, i've been through those same feelings too, feeling down why i haven't started this earlier. But the thing is im doing this now, it's too late to cry about it, instead im putting my energy trying to catch up to get to the same level as everyone else.
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    I was 24 when i started with level design as a hobby (only some brief experience years before). Learned modeling when i was like 26. First industry job as a level designer with 27. Only started to be a full time 3d environment artist a year ago with 32.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    I know the temptation is great, to learn 3dsmax, Zbrush, drawing, painting, everything on the same time. But this is a kind of trap. Believe me, it happened to me, and is still happening. Try to focus. One thing at a time. Set a simple project, and start working on it. Post here, get feedback. Be sure, you'll learn a lot with this. But do ONE THING AT A TIME. And take your time. Nobody starts running in a week and it's racing a marathon in the next. The same apply to art. It demands time and dedication.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see what you guys want to sat. Then i think i have bumped on wrong people. Everyone i have asked, send it private message, e-mail, i was told you are too old to start 3D.

So to focus one thing at time would be modeling. I really want to be modeler.The on;y thing i need to do is to get some good payed job. I have a change to do interior/exterior job that it's good payed. I really need something to earn by myself. With the money i am going to save them. i want to buy Visualirum courses to learn human anatomy and Zbrush.

I think i am rushing things really fast, i want to do something, that people need it to learn that for years. Something like,creating a character like Blur, and i know how hard it's going to be, and that letting me down, Can't help myself.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    Sooner you start sooner you will get to this Blur level. Its all achieveable. If you really want something you should just do it not talk about doing it ;p I think thats the difference between those who reallly want and those who only think they want.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is no too old. Cg has only been around for what? 30ish years? High level game art has been around for less than 10. Most people are quite unlikely to have more than 10 years experience doing 3d art. Why on earth should age exclude anyone from an industry that revolves around sitting in front of computers? Maybe if you wanted to be a professional athlete sure, but you could be 60 with no experience and land an entry level job before you hit retirement age if you were determined. Start now, don't make excuses, and get to work.

The barrier to entry is non-existant. Don't have money? Sculptris, Blender, Gimp, UDK, and Unity want a word with you. Can't go to school? Check out 3dmotive.com and DigitalTutors.com, they are relatively cheap for a few months worth of lessons.

My suggestion is that you start on small projects. Things you can do in under a week. Simple props; swords, chairs, shoes, cups, it's all good. Make sure you follow through the whole process even if it's not going so well. Your failures are your greatest learning experiences. Model, UV map, texture, and render, do it all even if it turns out badly. Save it for later so you can see your progress.

One final word of advice, don't set yourself on one thing before you've tried a lot of stuff out. You might find out that you really don't like what you were originally drawn to, but absolutely love to do something else. Being open to new experiences is very important, because ultimately if you don't enjoy it, you won't practice, and if you don't practice, you're doomed.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for the great advice.

I will admit, and i really want to be 3D artist, especially modeler/texture artist. And i am enjoying this really, watching tutorials how things are done. I also tried to create something on my own, without a tutorial, but i don't some things how to do.

Like, shape inside of shape, perfect circle, stuff like that.

Before i got really interest in 3D, i was web designer, but most of my time was programming, writing code, for me that was really not enjoyable, and i really suck at coding.

I brought a drawing tutorial from Riven Phoenix, but i still didn't watched his tutorials, because i am learning 3D max, and now i want to start to learn Zbrush.

You need to pick one thing and learn it thoroughly before you move on to something else. It seems like you are all over the place.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    So, what are you waiting for? There was already to much talk here. Let's go to the action.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah you are never too old . I am 120 and am a 'senile old man' but still work in games.
    on a lighter note 'oisoo'
    https://twitter.com/#!/oisoo

I like his philosophy:) which says give up you will be comfortable
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, at least for 3d models, this will sound a little provocative, but i don't agree practise makes you good. Good practise makes you good,repeating same mistakes...not so much.

You have to make a work, and then learn what mistakes you made. And then try to correct it the next time.

It's similar with tutorials. It's important how you approach them.

For example, when i was looking at my first 3ds max scifi ship tutorial, i was also having similar feeling, like "how the hell do you know do use certain tool and certain time?".

Well, then i watched that tut. He started with the box. Well, box was not the correct width and length. So what do i do in this case? I use scale tool to scale it in both direction to match the space ship body.

Ok, now i have to make rought wings. Ok, i can select side face of the plane body i just made, and extrude it - oh wait, but then i will extrude entire side of the plane surely i don't wanna do that. I need to extrude only one part of it. Ok, that means i need to split that face. Ah, great, i know just the tool - insert edge split tool. I use that tool to times, to split that side face into several pieces, so that i can have the face to extrude from.

Great, now i can finally use extrude tool to extrude face to form a wing.
    Yay. But now, the wing looks too boxy and square. Well then, i'll select far verticies, and use scale tool on them to bring those closer together.

Ok, looks better, but still kinda boxy. Ok, what can i do about that? Ah, i have bevel tool, great, i will bevel edges a bit to make them more smooth.

So, as you see, it's not so much about talent, it's not even so much about just practising and practising, it's also how you aproach things.
    First learn some basic tools, what they do. Following tutorials, say, for maya, be very carefull what tools tut guy uses. What certain tool does, and in what way you can use it.

And when you know atleast some basic tools, be methodical when you model something.

Take reference, and then make a cube for example. Using those tools, try to first maatch (as practise) that reference only roughtly. It has wings? Ok, how can i make wing? Ok so if split face here and here, i can get new face, from wich i can then extrude face. AH, great, sounds like a good plan.

Reference has hole in the plane? OK, lets see, if i make face similar to size of a whole, if i extrude it inwards, it will shape a hole. Great, another good plan.

And so on and so on. Learn some basic tools of that 3d app, take a reference, observe it's basic shape, and sit down and think a bit, using the tools you know, how would you get to the similar shape. You know how to split face, you know how to extrude face, you know how to move verticies...you can already do a lot with that...

And also, for start, practise in simple models. Nail, baseball bat, hammer, chair, simple sword,....

Hope that helps atleast a bit. :)
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Zocky for the great apply, Yes, i often come into confusion, when i search some concept art to work for. When i find something internet, i first want to see what forms are they, how to start, with what, etc.

But, i always always end up with blocked head, like, how the hell that shape inside of shape is created? How that good curvature is created etc. And i am thinking thinking, looking for a solution, what tools to use it.

Probably i know 80% of the tools in max for what are they, just i don't have a clue for the modifiers, don't know what modifier is for.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, can you post some examples of models that you find problematic to create?
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Daelus wrote: »
    My suggestion is that you start on small projects. Things you can do in under a week. Simple props; swords, chairs, shoes, cups, it's all good. Make sure you follow through the whole process even if it's not going so well. Your failures are your greatest learning experiences.

This is a great piece of advice for beginners, don't get caught up in modeling the Millenium Falcon or a complex AAA character, go along in small steps, quick iterations. You'll enjoy the sense of accomplishment from finishing models quickly, and you'll learn many things you can later apply to more ambitious projects.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will give you some pics of concept art, i find really to challenge. Maybe is a bit too far i go, because it's hard surface thing, mechanical something like that.

I would ask another thing, It's good to use Mental ray for 3D max 2012? for lighting and rendering?
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    forget all that for the time being. just model something. Don't confuse yourself with too many topics at once.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yeah exactly, stop wasting time talking to us and get modeling man, just do anything and post it in P&P section, link it in here if you have to, just work on something, post, get crits and improve!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoqDYcCDOTg"]Do it! Do it! Do it! - YouTube[/ame]
  • walreu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And start posting pictures of your models and description what problems you have with them here so we can actually help you get started.

( ^ ..im too slow apparently xD)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walreu wrote: »
    And start posting pictures of your models and description what problems you have with them here so we can actually help you get started.

( ^ ..im too slow apparently xD)

You are not slow. :p
  • Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would ask another thing, It's good to use Mental ray for 3D max 2012? for lighting and rendering?

Download a game engine like the UDK (google it, it's free), and try to put a scene together in that. Employers like to see that you can bring your stuff in-engine, so it's a very important skill to learn. Plus you can do some awesome things in UDK.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why is so important to know UDK? Can that be done just in 3D max? So in UDK i need to put the meshes from max, and the what? do materials, lighting and rendering there? Can i do that? or that is done in max?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Why is so important to know UDK? Can that be done just in 3D max?

Read the last reply:
    Aigik wrote: »
    Employers like to see that you can bring your stuff in-engine, so it's a very important skill to learn. Plus you can do some awesome things in UDK.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have only one more question. What do you guys do when you model something, without having all orthographic views? Like, side, top, front? I asking this because i really find frustrated, looking for orthgraphic view, for let's say a ship, car, scfi car, etc. i only find for example side view or perspective view. If i find all views, i try to put that in Max, and i only find more frustrated, when they are not line up correctly.

For example, if i start to model from side view, in front and top view are not line up with the image, etc.

So is it important as modeler to have orthographic view of concept art from something? Or you prefer to watch the concept and model it, and not mess up with the lining up image planes.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    If i find all views, i try to put that in Max, and i only find more frustrated, when they are not line up correctly.

PREP YOUR REFS

Use tape measure tool or the edge of of a plane geo or dummy to help you line up your images. I don't use Max as my primary modeler but those are at least some tools I'd use.

Easier to prep your images in Photoshop. Drop a horizontal or vert guide line to help you adjust the different sizes so they're pretty close matching up when you import them in Max or other app of choice. If the images share at least one images dimension, say height, then that'll help too aligning them in your modeler app. Always refere to your source to make sure the images didn't import flipped - important, if the project requires a high level of accuracy or if the object to be modeled is asymmetrical.

Photoshop tip: put all images in one doc but in separate layers. Lower opacity so you can match up easily. Make sure when you adjust transform is to shift-drag the gizmo so you maintain image proportion and not scale them out of proportion.