Home General Discussion

Can i be modeler really?

Replies

• Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Kuledo wrote: »
    So is it important as modeler to have orthographic view of concept art from something? Or you prefer to watch the concept and model it, and not mess up with the lining up image planes.

I think that depends on the artist and what you're making. It's very helpful to have orthos when starting out, but later on you might not need to use them as much. On the other hand if you are making detailed mechanical things like guns or vehicles you will probably always want to have very solid orthos to model from.

Personally I rarely use a prepared set of orthos. I do well just look at various angles of reference for both characters and props. The only exceptions really is for weapons when I want to get the silhouette of a sword just right or an accurate gun or whatever.
  • Kuledo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest, i find image planes ( orthos) more irritating and distracting than being helpful. I sit possible to make vehicle, car, or something just by seeing? I want to teach my self t observe things, bot just coping on top of that. I brought a second monitor, to put reference image on that, and to use 3D max all the time, because is frustrating when i spent day to line up image planes in pHotoshop, and then i see while i modeling, is not make sense, my model is off the image planes, while in the tutorial is not.

So, what i am asking is, to use a a reference, and try to observe the shape, and make it in max? Without messing up with orthos, because they are irritating me,
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Dude... Just get on with it. Of course you can model by just observing without using reference planes. However for certain things like cars this probably wont be as accurate. After 2 weeks how are you still discussing the use of reference planes?
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Kuledo, have you started doing some project? All I see you posting here are questions, and things that annoys you. But what about your production?

Don't get this as an offense, please. It's just curiosity.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Kuledo wrote: »
    To be honest, i find image planes ( orthos) more irritating and distracting than being helpful. I sit possible to make vehicle, car, or something just by seeing? I want to teach my self t observe things, bot just coping on top of that. I brought a second monitor, to put reference image on that, and to use 3D max all the time, because is frustrating when i spent day to line up image planes in pHotoshop, and then i see while i modeling, is not make sense, my model is off the image planes, while in the tutorial is not.

So, what i am asking is, to use a a reference, and try to observe the shape, and make it in max? Without messing up with orthos, because they are irritating me,

You need not follow the tutorial herf by herf, you are assumed to be given a guide and experiment by figuring the rest out for yourself. For starters you dont need a second monitor unless you require to pass render previews or transferring the characters between tools rapidly. You definitely dont need it for the ref image, and when you are starting out.

Just start making anything, be it a brick, and post here. I am pretty sure that you are absorbing all this and will provide good results by presenting your work. :)