Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M-586C

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
So, I've been working for a week trying to find a design I like for this rifle, trying to get the basic shape and direction down, so I can start adding all the fine details, I have a long way to go and I'm working on scope concepts, the scope isn't even part-done, just to see how it looks as I've been told that if I had it on it would drastically change the look of the rifle overall, I agree.

The main point and feel I want to portray is power, thus I avoided having a lot of very round shapes, as I felt this would be counter-productive, as having large round shapes would make it feel less powerful.

The number 1 critique I get is that the rifle needs depth, I don't know how to satisfy that entirely, but there is a lot left to be done, so that might change that opinion...

I want to build some sort of rail coming up and surrounding the barrel out of under the grip, a few other things that are hard to explain, this render doesn't do my edges justice so I'll upload two.

Technically, I don't know what I'm doing as far as making sure this will bake to a normal map well at ALL, I have no experience in that, and have only been doing 3d for about 4 1/2 months, I plan to make this the first asset I have baked dowm, and fully textured, for me, it is a sizable task, so I want to make sure I'm at least getting part of it looking okay and that my edges will bake well, I know some are sharp, I just hope not TOO sharp.

TrNm5.jpg

iIVlm.png
I'd like some pretty harsh feedback please.

Replies

• polymunkles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a personal opinion but i think the barrel is too thin. if you want a powerful gun then im assuming its going to be firing a decent sized round. in comparison with the rest of the gun the barrel is kinda thin

i did a quick photoshop of the barrel and made it a little thicker to show an example of what i mean, bigger/thicker barrel equals bigger round/more force

i9WHPQkfUUqRj.jpg

like i said though just a thought lol
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just split up the shape in the middle, gunna go for a run then finish it up. I think it was a good step in the right direction l6dk9.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just a personal opinion but i think the barrel is too thin. if you want a powerful gun then im assuming its going to be firing a decent sized round. in comparison with the rest of the gun the barrel is kinda thin

i did a quick photoshop of the barrel and made it a little thicker to show an example of what i mean, bigger/thicker barrel equals bigger round/more force

like i said though just a thought lol

I somehow missed this post, yeah I'm messing around with the barrel right now, trying to think about how I want to execute it, thanks for the feedback though.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Done for the night, I have already ruined the model as far as I am concerned, I'll prolly never be able to make a low poly, I accidentally rotated this ever so slightly, and it even messed the geo on some parts it looks like, but even so I can't get 100% perfect rotation.
    Do you think I could overcome this and make a low poly?
    I don't even know how to go about doing that, I've only modeled low-high.
    Zvj3O.jpg
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Theres a HUGE problem with this, that it looks like you haven't thought of.

Is this a low poly? I'm guessing not, but if it was its far too high. I'm guessing not however, but in that case...

Is this a high poly? Its far too low! You have sharp angles and right angles everywhere, these simply will not work well when it comes to a render to texture for the normal map, you need some good chamfering of edges in there.

THIS:

\___________/

NOT THIS:

|___________|
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sure you can salvage it just fine! As odium above me said, you need to focus on making the edges nice and smooth, they are to tight right now.

Spend some time re rotating things and freeze transforms (not sure what program your in) so that the base orientation of everything at 0,0,0 lines up good. That way you wont accidentally move stuff and not be able to fix it.

Dont give up! Its a good start!
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    I have very little hard surface modelling experience, but I can suggest to adding some visual detail to the forward grip, where the user would place his/her left hand. right now it lacks interest and is extremely sparse comparative to the rest of the weapon.
  • Hang10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are a few things I have an issue with:

The stock seems incredibly short for a rifle and not very comfortable if you plan on firing a larger round.

Where would the magazine go?

Where would Ejected casings come out from?

How would he hold the gun? I understand hand on grip and under but maybe he wants a forgrip or and angled grip or an underslung attachment?

Assuming this would be carried for hours on end what material is it made out of? Whatever the answer make sure to trim an fat, the design should be lean and everything have a purpose.

I feel like I'm ranting :poly122:

Jusdt my 2 cents :)
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a concept you are basing this off of?
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im sure you can salvage it just fine! As odium above me said, you need to focus on making the edges nice and smooth, they are to tight right now.

Spend some time re rotating things and freeze transforms (not sure what program your in) so that the base orientation of everything at 0,0,0 lines up good. That way you wont accidentally move stuff and not be able to fix it.

Dont give up! Its a good start!

That was my thoughts for the next one I make so it doesn't happen again.

As for the angles, thank you, that's the kinda feed back I really needed, as, I have no idea what I'm doing.

It WAS based of concept art, then when I had the basic shapes done it looked awful, I was having a hard time reading the shapes, and with limited experience it made things hard.

The weapon (if you're familiar with Halo) is for a spartan alone, I decided to deviate and make something out of cannon, but something logical, they are bigger and many many times stronger than the average person.

You can see that the magazine goes into the back.

As for edge angles, what exact edges to I need to chamfer and how much, I'll upload the file so someone can give me an example on my model or critque it further.

Here is some quick loosening, I only had five minutes, I want to know if that helped on some parts.
    xyEM3.jpg
    and the concept art
    UOa5I.png
    please give me some feedback I really need it, thanks everyone for the help thus far.
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, nice concept to go off of. It sounds like you are trying to deviate from the concept and make it your own? I feel like you will definitely need an area where the free-hand (not on trigger), can support the weight of this gun. In you concept, it looks like they have that-and it serves as a handle and some type of a pump action add-on (grenade launcher?). I think some type of handle will really help on this. For the smoothing on your edges-Are you using a quick turbo smooth? If so, you can inset the faces that are creating the edges and the sharpness of the edges will be determined by how much your relevant faces are inset. If you provide a render of your wireframe, I would have an easier time seeing your approach and how to improve the model. :)
  • The_Blenderer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your technique is good but I think some light reading and thought about why rifles are made the way they are will make your conceptual process much better and more believable.

For example the thing that was most glaring to me were the holes at the bottom of the grenade launcher where ideally the soldier would be gripping the weapon for balance.
    This muzzle-flash like design would probably burn the hands of anyone gripping there... (this is especially important if you go for bull-up design)

If you look at the Anatomy of real rifles like the M-16 these types of holes are usually surrounding a floating barrel of some kind that gets heated during fire and the holes are meant to vent the buildup of excessive heat during auto-fire so it would not burn the hands of anyone struggling to hold the gun in place..
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not planning on adding a grenade launcher, this is the Halo universe, as for the barrel, I plan to make that different, right now it serves to just be there to make the concept more easy to read. The reason I like the grip is that it's massive, Spartans are seven feet tall and pure muscle aided by armor as well. This weapon is designed specifically for them. I am still trying to decide what to actually put down there.

I was attempting the exact model in the picture, but ultimately I could not read it right and just was like fuck it, and decided to go make this for myself, it just looked awkward. I still have a lot of details to add so I want to make that clear and I have done many variations, seeing what does and doesn't work by people's opinions. I have not really done anything to the other side yet. I will, after I get it how I like and try a few things. Since it will be nearly identical but a few things different.

If you look at the BR in Halo 4, the grip looks similar to mine, just mine is bigger, and more bulky. Halo4_BattleRifle.png

Here are the wires ckKzf.png
    They are nurms so its not 1:1 wire positioning wise, I if you'd like I can upload the unsmoothed wires.

Here is how far I got trying the concept art, It was too horrendous, I just couldn't take it.RUSxS.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the non-smoothed wires, I think once I do something with that massive hole between the grip and the rifle body, it will stop being seen as a grenade launcher. XStU1.png
    I tightened it up a bit, I hope this makes more sense and looks better WeTFF.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why are there so many spammers on polycount...
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really not feeling it today GTSFd.jpg
    I'll losen those edges up some day when I wanna bake it, for now, no.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    I would suggest modifying the hand guard opening a bit. I think it'd make the overall shape a bit more interesting :)

UFWbV.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmmm I really like that idea thanks man.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I'm ready to make the low poly. Sadly, I have no idea how to even go about this. At all... or even bake my high to my low, or what I need to fix. If someone wants to tell me how I have the file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/82963315/Done%20for%20Now%20M586-C%20HSRR.max

It's crap, I know I have to loosen the edges, but what ones, what needs to be beveled, I'm very new to all this and don't know where to start. I could just use the control mesh with removed edge loops couldn't I? I'm not really worried about the polycount.
  • Alex Pointer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could write at length about how to do this but it might be simpler to point out tutorials on it. Honestly, as you are building your high poly, which you've done, you can save the work out in stages when you have the basic form and when it is at it's lowest poly count (each piece). This way you don't have to rebuild the topology over the top of the high poly (huge time saver). You can simply patch the pieces together from there (use welding shortcuts to save time). Remember, that you also need to optimize the poly count, which can take the longest and it is best if you optimize it as much as possible before you worry about unwrapping it or you can mess things up. If you have to make changes to the topology after the unwrap just click the box that will allow your unwrap to stay the same (save multiple files at different stages and check that unwrap periodically to make sure it isn't jacked).

Another point, do not try to build your low poly using the retopology tools for hard surfaces, just works better for organic forms.

Once you have the pieces welded together, unwrapped, and optimized, it's baking time. You have an option in 3D Studio max (look up tutorials on render to texture and projection mapping-shortcut 0 to pull up the render to texture dialogue) Look up tutorials on baking/projecting normals in 3ds Max on youtube or something and don't forget the term 2.5 star and you can only project normals with the default renderer.

OR, I just tried XNormal for the first time and on a gun-it worked pretty well but you have to make sure that if you have pieces and the gun isn't completely one piece you will need to pull a few things apart (make sure that the low poly is always aligned with the high poly you are trying to project or the bake is going to suck). It may sound funny but go to poopinmymouth.com and there are tutorials there that will help you add to the normal map base, or easily correct errors (these will almost always occur) in Photoshop (don't forget to renormalize or it won't work properly).

So, that is where you can start but along the way you have to be patient because this part is more technical than anything.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Its still full of 90 degree angles that have no chamfering at all, and all those edges are far too tight? They simply will not render a normal map well enough. See here:

http://wiki.polycount.com/NormalMap?action=show&redirect=Normal+Map#Modeling_The_High-Poly_Mesh
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much guys, I've done a lot of tutorials on baking, and I can never seem to replicate it, that's my goal this month.

The only 90 degrees question I have is what exactly needs to not be at it, for example, the bottom of the rifle, it's rounded on the corner, if it's loose enough I don't need to touch it right?

Also, as far as the cage goes, I am getting used to it, I even baked out a good one last night, but it was on a flat object, wouldn't on something this complex there be a lot of issues making the cage perfect?

Also is it okay for the high poly mesh to be penetrated by the low during the bake?

I've tried xnormal and get about the same results as 3ds max, it's more work in my opinion.
    That link was super helpful as well and cleared up a lot of my questions.